Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Crime rates in Canada

Crime rates in Canada

Old May 14th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Crime rates in Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Canada Tavern, never an attractive place, became impossible to enter without climbing over bodies. Not the Toronto of the tourist brochures!
Is the Canada Tavern still going?. I haven't been in there since the late 80's.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Is the Canada Tavern still going?. I haven't been in there since the late 80's.
Nope. Closed maybe three years ago, much to the relief of my OH who was then catching the tram on that corner.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Nope. Closed maybe three years ago, much to the relief of my OH who was then catching the tram on that corner.
The demise of the drinking hole for the non-hyphenated. These kinds of dives are disappearing these days. When I was at University of Waterloo, there was a classic dive in Kitchener at the train station, appropriately called the Station Hotel. As well, there was Tommy's Place near there...not sure of their status.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The demise of the drinking hole for the non-hyphenated. These kinds of dives are disappearing these days. When I was at University of Waterloo, there was a classic dive in Kitchener at the train station, appropriately called the Station Hotel. As well, there was Tommy's Place near there...not sure of their status.
When first in Canada I drank upstairs at the Vic, 56 Yonge, now a boutique hotel, then a place where "John" dropped as many 4oz glasses of "beer" in front of you as he thought you needed and then chose his own tip. The Brampton Hotel and the Scarborough House were similar. The Brunswick House was, maybe still is, a kind of perverted homage. I'm told there was or is a place of a similar style, the King Edward, in Guelph but I do with the Albion.
Old May 14th 2009, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

When first in Canada I drank upstairs at the Vic, 56 Yonge, now a boutique hotel, then a place where "John" dropped as many 4oz glasses of "beer" in front of you as he thought you needed and then chose his own tip. The Brampton Hotel and the Scarborough House were similar. The Brunswick House was, maybe still is, a kind of perverted homage. I'm told there was or is a place of a similar style, the King Edward, in Guelph but I do with the Albion.
My inlaws live in Guelph and I've never heard of that place...I've been in the Albion and the Woolie (different vibe from the places listed). Kitchener has/had a number of choice dives like that and Hamiltons east side is full of them.

Is the Brampton Hotel actually in Brampton and also known as the Shield and Sword (a peeler joint when I lived in Brampton 1989-1992).
Old May 15th 2009, 12:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

Is the Brampton Hotel actually in Brampton and also known as the Shield and Sword (a peeler joint when I lived in Brampton 1989-1992).
It's gone now, I've only heard legends of it. I'll get more detail when next I see the man who grew up drinking there.
Old May 15th 2009, 3:22 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

How many of you lock your doors when heading to the shops?

(perhaps it would be an interesting poll)
Old May 15th 2009, 10:16 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules

Only if we're going to be a long time. Otherwise, no. Windows are routinely left open, the garage door is open most of the time in summer and I suspect that the car isn't locked.
Old May 15th 2009, 11:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules

We used to until we saw Bowling for Columbine then we stopped. Later we moved to the country; now I don`t even have a key to the house.
Old May 15th 2009, 11:31 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

We used to until we saw Bowling for Columbine then we stopped. Later we moved to the country; now I don`t even have a key to the house.
I've got the key to my neighbour's house.
Old May 15th 2009, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I've got the key to my neighbour's house.
Me too. This past winter I didn't go over there until they'd been gone a month, it wasn't locked.
Old May 15th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you believe some of the spin coming out of Michael Moore's mouth, I've got some land to sell you in Florida....

Having grown up in an urban environment in the UK and Toronto, a girlfriend of mine at University here in Canada came from a farm between London and Chatham.....her family left the keys to the car in the ignition in the farmyard and did the same when they went into town...totally blew me away and I had to hold back my thoughts on it all.

Last edited by clynnog; May 15th 2009 at 12:31 pm.
Old May 15th 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

My inlaws live in Guelph and I've never heard of that place...I've been in the Albion and the Woolie (different vibe from the places listed). Kitchener has/had a number of choice dives like that and Hamiltons east side is full of them.

No way i used to live back and fourth from Brampton and Toronto and we had a place on Charters Rd in Brampton right by the Sword and Sheild. I was a little kid and i would see stripper hanging outside for smokes. Too funny I havent been there forever, but i think there is a Hooters up the street now.
Old May 15th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

drabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant future

If I were worried about crime rates, it'd be England http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...mes-per-capita

and more specifically, London, http://rechten.uvt.nl/icvs/images/graph05.jpg which would worry me.

Incidentally, taken as a whole, murder rates in Canada and England are very similar.

Alan
Old May 15th 2009, 2:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by drabux
Incidentally, taken as a whole, murder rates in Canada and England are very similar.
But always higher in Canada, according to your source:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.