Crime rates

Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crime rates

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Here in Winnipeg (Crime Capital of Canada) all the supermarkets have piles of bags full of soil/compost/growing medium etc OUTSIDE the store in the parking lot.

No security, no cameras, even when they are closed. They are not stolen.

If you did that in the UK, they would not last the night.
Yeh, but they don't trust you with trollies in Winnipeg - they're all a dollar or a quarter deposit - haven't seen any of those round here
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
This put me in mind of a car park attendant where I often park. He flames. One day I'm pulling out and I ask him how he is,

"I'm beside myself with glee. I must tell you what I've done."

<pause for breath>

"I have, well had, this white rattan chair, an unusual shape. I was walking along and I see a table and three chairs on a porch, the exact same. Well, I snuck mine in late at night. Now they've four."

<flaps and giggles>

See, they have negative crime in Guelph.
Funny,.. I was gonna quote exactly same thing. Though mine was more with attaching skateboards or skates to the chairs with the clothes from charity shops and trying to whizz down the streets !
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:19 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

I have secretly suspected for years that the crime rate of Regina is comparable if not higher than in London. If anyone knows where I can find the stats to prove it I would be grateful.
This is a little anecdote about my experience with crime. A couple of years ago me and hubby were exceptionally poor, I mean living below the poverty line. We had an absolute crap car and lived in not the greatest of areas. The car was on the way out and worth nothing if we were to sell it. We left that damn thing outside, unlocked, waiting for some thug to steal it. No such luck in the auto theft capital of Canada! I'm still bitter.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:15 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BristolUK;6767215]There may be some truth in that. But there is also the non reported stuff that's not recorded anywhere but plainly visible:
  • The bus shelters and phone boxes systematically smashed by revellers on their way home from a night out on the town, together with the odd pile of vomit.
  • The rubbish left by kids gathering in the park or thrown into your garden (ask Victor Meldrew).
  • The cars filled with joyriders screaming around the streets or the car park behind the derelict shops just across the road.
  • The graffiti covered shutters over shop windows; in place to stop the windows being broken. Overturned rubbish bins.
  • Street beggars hounding you at bus stops in town trying to sell their last Big Issue and then not letting you have it because they're really trying to get more money for drugs (genuine sellers aren't allowed to sell The Big Issue at night) and if they let you have it they can't 'sell' it again, but they keep the money you just gave them.
  • The noisy behaviour outside the take-aways and the rubbish left wherever they decided to eat.

The reason that this is not reported is because nobody was physically harmed, stabbed or half beaten to death. These incidents occur week in and week out in most twns and cities of the world anyway. As for the Gaffiti well Spain is the capital of the world for this, graffiti everywhere...totally disgusting.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Here in Winnipeg (Crime Capital of Canada) all the supermarkets have piles of bags full of soil/compost/growing medium etc OUTSIDE the store in the parking lot.

Is Winnipeg still the crime capital? I can't find any stats for 2007 or 2008 for overall crime, but in 2006 the overall crime capital was Regina then Saskatoon then Winnipeg.

I think Halifax is the crime capital for Eastern Canada, not sure about Western...?

Obviously it's too early too compile 2008 stats but I'm surprised there weren't any for last year on the web...

Anita
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in Winnipeg, you've already got enough shit to deal with. Why want more?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:11 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If you live in Winnipeg, you've already got enough shit to deal with. Why want more?
What is so bad about Winnipeg, I hear a lot about this? Even if it bad, one of the great Canadians grew up there Mr.Neil Young
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
What is so bad about Winnipeg, I hear a lot about this? Even if it bad, one of the great Canadians grew up there Mr.Neil Young

But does he still live there?

(BTW enjoying this thread do carry on, I'll be locked in my house trying not to provoke anyone who may want to stab me)
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:35 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Elaine B.

(BTW enjoying this thread do carry on, I'll be locked in my house trying not to provoke anyone who may want to stab me)
No, he moved from there in his teens to LA and I would imagine that he has lived there ever since. By the way he entered USA as an illegal immigrant until he got his green card
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:55 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elaine B.

In Larne? Surely not. Although you might be the ol' "Aright missus giz a look at your......" well you get the picture.
Hope alls well up there
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
In Larne? Surely not. Although you might be the ol' "Aright missus giz a look at your......" well you get the picture.
Hope alls well up there
All peaceful in Larne thanks. Oddly enough the week before I left Toronto someone was stabbed 20ft from my front door it was so nice to be woken up by the police a 1am asking if I'd seen anything nothing so exciting in Larne yet.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:12 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice!
Happy days then.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Comments like that often come from people who live outside of Winnipeg so aren't aware of its charms and positive points - which hugely outweigh its negative points - negative points which most provinces in Canada have, I must add.

People tend to repeat what they hear about places without (usually - I don't want to generalise) visiting the city in question and exploring all aspects of its culture, lifestyle and geography.

I can think of a huge number of reasons to live in Winnipeg but I don't want to hijack this thread!

Anita
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

Crime rates vary substantially across Canada (which is more like the EU than Britain). I have lived in Calgary for many years and though we currently have a problem with some street gangs, mainly due to the economic boom in Alberta, I can say from personal experience my family and I feel much safer here than in the UK, which we visited 3 years ago and were shocked with the young people in "hoodies" hanging around the streets and the inner city centres.

On final comment, to get something in perspective, it appears to me that dbd33's only purpose in life is to come on this board and various threads and criticise almost anything Canadian and try and deter people from coming here and encourage others to go back to the UK. Accordingly, if do the math correctly in the 30 months of his posting on this board, he's posted an average of one message per waking hour (16 hours a day) 7 days a week, 365 days a year; and I believe most of his postings generally are not very complimentary about life in Canada.

Given this fact I will not respond to anything posted in reply to my comments by dbd33.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chi_Nook
Crime rates vary substantially across Canada (which is more like the EU than Britain). I have lived in Calgary for many years and though we currently have a problem with some street gangs, mainly due to the economic boom in Alberta, I can say from personal experience my family and I feel much safer here than in the UK, which we visited 3 years ago and were shocked with the young people in "hoodies" hanging around the streets and the inner city centres.

On final comment, to get something in perspective, it appears to me that dbd33's only purpose in life is to come on this board and various threads and criticise almost anything Canadian and try and deter people from coming here and encourage others to go back to the UK. Accordingly, if do the math correctly in the 30 months of his posting on this board, he's posted an average of one message per waking hour (16 hours a day) 7 days a week, 365 days a year; and I believe most of his postings generally are not very complimentary about life in Canada.

Given this fact I will not respond to anything posted in reply to my comments by dbd33.
You crazy old stalker, I loves ya you know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.