Crime rates

Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crime rates

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Hyphenation impressive word first time I`ve heard this and I assume it means some type of non integration. Well a similair thing occcurs in most of the EU anyway.

As for Toronto growing, i am sure it will as there doesn`t seem to be any way to stop it, so more pollution and respiratory diseases to make people feel even worse. Seems like urban growth could be better employed elsewhere. But didn`t I say that several hours ago
Honest curiousity here, Jules. What is your first language?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:04 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Honest curiousity here, Jules. What is your first language?
I`m bilingual English and Spanish
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I`m bilingual English and Spanish
Thought so.

You may thank me for introducing well needed thread drift at a later opportunity.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:10 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Thought so.

You may thank me for introducing well needed thread drift at a later opportunity.
Please translate now my English is not so good?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:27 pm
Born again atheist

Please translate now my English is not so good?
Your English is excellent, but it's obvious it's not your first language. "Thread drift" describes the tendency for posts to digress from the original topic after the original topic has been exhausted.

You are (as far as I'm concerned) a welcome newcomer here and I hope you stick around, but the subject of comparative crime rates in various countries has been done to death a thousand times on this board.

Your earlier posts on the subject appear to be knee jerk reaction to the UK gutter press's harping on and on and on about something which, quite frankly, is not that much different here.

dbd33 has already said all that needs to be said on the topic. He, however is almost certainly now starting his 1.5 hour commute from downtown Toronto, to his home in the backwaters of rural Ontario. He may not reply for a while.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:37 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Your English is excellent, but it's obvious it's not your first language. "Thread drift" describes the tendency for posts to digress from the original topic after the original topic has been exhausted.

You are (as far as I'm concerned) a welcome newcomer here and I hope you stick around, but the subject of comparative crime rates in various countries has been done to death a thousand times on this board.

Your earlier posts on the subject appear to be knee jerk reaction to the UK gutter press's harping on and on and on about something which, quite frankly, is not that much different here.

dbd33 has already said all that needs to be said on the topic. He, however is almost certainly now starting his 1.5 hour commute from downtown Toronto, to his home in the backwaters of rural Ontario. He may not reply for a while.
As said bad news sells the world over. My general point being from the beginning is that Brits will probably find a safer environment in Canada, Australia, NZ, Spain etc that they would in the Uk, that was my point and basically a simple point. As for why this thread drifted into something else over the period of several hours.... well that is one of lifes many mysteries:curse: It could be that I have listened to too much Megadeth today
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:43 pm
Born again atheist

As said bad news sells the world over. My general point being from the beginning is that Brits will probably find a safer environment in Canada, Australia, NZ, Spain etc that they would in the Uk, that was my point and basically a simple point. As for why this thread drifted into something else over the period of several hours.... well that is one of lifes many mysteries:curse: It could be that I have listened to too much Megadeth today
OK. I can't be bothered to scroll up all the way but someone (I think someone in the US) posted links to the real statistics way up thread. Your contention is simply not true.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 10:13 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

OK. I can't be bothered to scroll up all the way but someone (I think someone in the US) posted links to the real statistics way up thread. Your contention is simply not true.
Statistics I`ve been looking at place The UK as one of the unsafer countries in western Europe all of the Nordic countries, Switzerland, Holland, Belgium, Spain and Portrugal etc were all deemed safer to live in, with New Zealand, Canada and even Chile leading the way outside of Europe. If you look at my first threads which seem like an age ago now. The real concern for Brits is not so much just the actual crime levels, but more to do with the madness that is actually behind them, as more and more perpretators of these crimes are just kids. Families just don`t want their children growing up in this environment anymore. This is one of the many reasons why people are leaving the UK in their thousands every single year. This is a statistic that you often see in the British press. Countries like Canada are just one of the many countries they choose.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 10:25 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Although I am way too weary to get through this whole thread tonight, I did pick up on the notion that immigration centres around the usual core locations. I read an article recently which would appear to show a drift in the 'normal' immigrant locations. Although I'm not a fan of statistics, it certainly wasn't what I was expecting to see.
Here is is....http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

The guts of the article is this...

The number of foreign permanent residents is rising in these communities:

Charlottetown: +50.2%
Halifax: +44.8%
Moncton: +74%
Edmonton: +52%
Calgary: +32%
Montreal: +36%

...while declining in these cities

Toronto: -20.8%
Vancouver: -1%

Of course, this does specify permanent residents and therefore does not appear to take into account the numbers arriving on TWP/family etc streams. But still, it's an interesting point. The article focuses on average salaries and other such financial incentives which attract would-be immigrants to the various provinces.

Which begs the question - Are people really looking for intangible benefits ie low crime rate (percieved or otherwise), wide open space, time with family, snow mobile and the like. Based on many posts on forums such as BE, this would appear to be the case.

However, some weight has to be given to the official figures which would indicate that immigrants are choosing their location based on immediate monetary benefits ie larger salary, less tax etc.

So to hell with the crime rates and associated misery, it would appear that the dollar is king.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
In England there's a right to roam which allows access to the countryside, there's no equivalent in Canada so I don't know that the majority of people living in Canada actually have greater access to open space than the majority of Britons. I walk the dog in the country on weekends but I'd do that if I lived in Kilburn.

I concede that someone who doesn't have to work could have a lot more open space in Canada; Northern Ontario, for example, is empty.
dbd33

I agree with you there is little public access to the countryside in Canada, which we found very strange when we lived there. I though you would have the Great Out doors on your doorstep. Most land is private and non rights of way like the UK. We had to drive 50km to the national park to "walk in the countryside" with the family. In Kent I can walk out of my driveway and across the road to a South Downs footpath which will take us across the Downs or along the East Kent coast.

North Ontario is pretty empty and infested with blackfies/mozzies from my experience.

hudd
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hudd
dbd33
I agree with you there is little public access to the countryside in Canada, which we found very strange when we lived there. I though you would have the Great Out doors on your doorstep. Most land is private and non rights of way like the UK. We had to drive 50km to the national park to "walk in the countryside" with the family. In Kent I can walk out of my driveway and across the road to a South Downs footpath which will take us across the Downs or along the East Kent coast.
hudd

Wow Geezzzzz, What a thread !
Tee hee .. My family and I have been out in town for an Italian tonight after writing my last post, was yummy . Have just come back and have been reading the backlog !

Not sure what to say or think really, kind of lost in it all, though it has been interesting to read and learn from other peoples views.

I have travelled to many countries I believe, though mostly in Europe.

I highlighted the above post because although I know little by first hand experience with the so called 'great outdoors' in these vast countries like Canada, Oz and NZ, it seems bizaar but primarily true that people aren't able to explore and have the easy access to the lands/countrysides like how we do here in the UK.

Last edited by Katie76; Sep 9th 2008 at 11:15 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Although I am way too weary to get through this whole thread tonight, I did pick up on the notion that immigration centres around the usual core locations. I read an article recently which would appear to show a drift in the 'normal' immigrant locations. Although I'm not a fan of statistics, it certainly wasn't what I was expecting to see.
Here is is....http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

The guts of the article is this...

The number of foreign permanent residents is rising in these communities:

Charlottetown: +50.2%
Halifax: +44.8%
Moncton: +74%
Edmonton: +52%
Calgary: +32%
Montreal: +36%

...while declining in these cities

Toronto: -20.8%
Vancouver: -1%

Of course, this does specify permanent residents and therefore does not appear to take into account the numbers arriving on TWP/family etc streams. But still, it's an interesting point. The article focuses on average salaries and other such financial incentives which attract would-be immigrants to the various provinces.

Which begs the question - Are people really looking for intangible benefits ie low crime rate (percieved or otherwise), wide open space, time with family, snow mobile and the like. Based on many posts on forums such as BE, this would appear to be the case.

However, some weight has to be given to the official figures which would indicate that immigrants are choosing their location based on immediate monetary benefits ie larger salary, less tax etc.

So to hell with the crime rates and associated misery, it would appear that the dollar is king.

That's an interesting piece. It's easy to see how the foreign population of places like Charlottetown and Halifax went up by such large percentages, that's just a second Chinese restaurant opening, but the numbers for Montreal and Toronto are perplexing; Montreal's always had a diverse population and in that period the foreign born population of Toronto grew to over 50%.

I don't see a conflict between moving for the things you list as intangible benefits and moving for money; they're all things you can buy.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The real concern for Brits is not so much just the actual crime levels, but more to do with the madness that is actually behind them, as more and more perpretators of these crimes are just kids.
There may be some truth in that. But there is also the non reported stuff that's not recorded anywhere but plainly visible:
  • The bus shelters and phone boxes systematically smashed by revellers on their way home from a night out on the town, together with the odd pile of vomit.
  • The rubbish left by kids gathering in the park or thrown into your garden (ask Victor Meldrew).
  • The cars filled with joyriders screaming around the streets or the car park behind the derelict shops just across the road.
  • The graffiti covered shutters over shop windows; in place to stop the windows being broken. Overturned rubbish bins.
  • Street beggars hounding you at bus stops in town trying to sell their last Big Issue and then not letting you have it because they're really trying to get more money for drugs (genuine sellers aren't allowed to sell The Big Issue at night) and if they let you have it they can't 'sell' it again, but they keep the money you just gave them.
  • The noisy behaviour outside the take-aways and the rubbish left wherever they decided to eat.

There's plenty more like this and we all know it. I have no doubt there are plenty of examples of this sort of thing in big cities and not so big cities the world over.

But I'm pretty sure that Moncton isn't the only place in Canada where this sort of stuff is far from routine; The rare acts of vandalism here are front page news.

Of course there are small peaceful villages in the UK to compare. But Moncton, small city though it is, is actually one and a half times the size of Bath. It's not without it's problems, but Bristol is about 4 times the size with problems far in excess of that ratio.

Moncton just isn't big enough for me to live in an area isolated from trouble spots. I see cars parked with windows open, items visible on the seats, sometimes even keys in the ignition.

People leave bikes unlocked and if they do lock them, their helmet is dangling from the handlebars.

People have chairs in front their front doors throughout summer. They'd be stolen or vandalised back in Bristol.

The low income/low rent area here looks scruffy...toys and bikes strewn over yards and driveways. But they don't seem to be a target for thieves.

Back where I lived, I parked my bike outside the local newsagent, he had my paper ready, having seen me through the window, I took my change and the bike had gone. It must have been there for all of 15 seconds.

I'm going to stop now, as I'm sounding like my parents would sound.

But all these unpleasant things are a fact of life in many parts of the UK big and small. They don't seem to be so common in many parts of Canada. It's not just quaint little communities that are law abiding, relatively peaceful havens.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
People have chairs in front their front doors throughout summer. They'd be stolen or vandalised back in Bristol.
This put me in mind of a car park attendant where I often park. He flames. One day I'm pulling out and I ask him how he is,

"I'm beside myself with glee. I must tell you what I've done."

<pause for breath>

"I have, well had, this white rattan chair, an unusual shape. I was walking along and I see a table and three chairs on a porch, the exact same. Well, I snuck mine in late at night. Now they've four."

<flaps and giggles>

See, they have negative crime in Guelph.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:54 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Winnipeg (Crime Capital of Canada) all the supermarkets have piles of bags full of soil/compost/growing medium etc OUTSIDE the store in the parking lot.

No security, no cameras, even when they are closed. They are not stolen.

If you did that in the UK, they would not last the night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.