Crime rates

Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crime rates

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
Very interesting.....i doubt my Wife will let me go out after work anyway !
btw, although it's of no statistical significance, I walked from Adelaide and Parliament to Church and Gerrard and back this morning, seeing innumerable people smoking crack, one person jumping from a car to punch another driver, many traffic light beggars, a couple sharing a joint and maybe a dozen people solicting. A jolly beggar in Moss Park greeted me as if I was his long lost brother, offering me a share of the cigarette butts he'd scraped up.

I'm losing my faith that life in Canada is one long beer commercial.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seanyg
True - there are lovely rural areas in the UK (Cornwall, Lake District etc) but unless you're rich you can't afford to live in safe little villages
I wish we were rich

I guess we're lucky to be living in the S/E UK, about 25mins drive from London and so the house prices are pretty high here.
Because of this though, it's very difficult for us to move to a bigger place in the same area, there are 4 of us and we currently live in a 2 bedded place.
I'm not too fussed about the living space though, as there's so much surrounding us to see and do, and I feel it's a pretty good place to live, we're all happy.

As our family are into watersports/love the ocean/beaches too, (and are up for a change in life - just for the difference), we're going to rent our place here in S/E and hope to buy a property to do up in Cornwall and live there for awhile. The house prices are much cheaper than S/E, it's whether or not the right work is available. My partners a Plasterer by trade and general builder, I'm qualified in a variety of things (mainly art related) so I guess we have an advantage to those who work in an office or something, as Cornwall being rural there obviously are very few jobs in this field.

Last edited by Katie76; Sep 9th 2008 at 5:51 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Katie76
I wish we were rich

I guess we're lucky to be living in the S/E UK, about 25mins drive from London and so the house prices are pretty high here.
Because of this though, it's very difficult for us to move to a bigger place in the same area, there are 4 of us and we currently live in a 2 bedded place.
I'm not too fussed about the living space though, as there's so much surrounding us to see and do, and I feel it's a pretty good place to live, we're all happy.

As our family are into watersports/love the ocean/beaches too, (and are up for a change in life - just for the difference), we're going to rent our place here in S/E and hope to buy a property to do up in Cornwall and live there for awhile. The house prices are much cheaper than S/E, it's whether or not the right work is available. My partners a Plasterer by trade and general builder, I'm qualified in a variety of things (mainly art related) so I guess we have an advantage to those who work in an office or something, as Cornwall being rural there obviously are very few jobs in this field.
Is very very difficult to compare and having looked at it in a closer ties, The crime rate is huge.
Take the size of Toronto for and example and read the news and they have their 48 homocide case on their hands, Population in Toronto is 2.5 million, errrm I think london is 8 million right?

in general i hear crime is low in Canada but compare the population wise?? they are 35 mill as to 61 mill, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:08 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

try these......

http://www.calgarypolice.ca/crimestats/99G0-C.html

http://www.statcan.ca/english/resear...highest-en.htm

http://www.spotcrime.com/calgary
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

debbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to all

Oh my god why do people actually move to Canada if the crime is so bad !!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbieeasby
Because we can have bigger houses and afford monitored alarm systems?!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:15 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You can't just make such broad assumptions. The growth of towns and cities in the Thompson/Okanagan area of central BC, for example, will be limited by accessibility of water. You can't keep building just because there appears to be space. City planning in Kamloops is very much geared towards in-fill, not urban sprawl, so population density will only get greater here. There's no magic solution to finding natural resources that will support a sprawling low-density population.
They are not broad assumptions and obviously some locations for reasons of geographics and water etc it will not be possible for any type of expansion. So it is no good describing the towns or areas that you know of because there is always going to be a town or area that would be better suited anyway. All you basically need is a town than can support a potential population growth over a lengthy period of time through employment, housing and infrastructure and also with good town planning. Communities can then grow eventually to within say an hours commute to the urban hub nobody said it was easy but this is how it is done. Just look at many cities all over the world and you will see satellite towns surrounding them just waiting to be linked up. This is how many cities and large towns evolved in the first place and to do this they just needed people and space. In many cases there was no real town planning initially to speak of either, because if there had been these cities would have been built in different locations that in turn would have been able to support an urban growth instead of just piling people on top of one another. Having travelled and lived in countries such as Spain and various in latin America I`m sure if these disorganized and corrupt countries can support outward urban growth then an organized country like Canada surely can and do a much better job.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Because we're the criminals.

We're the people you don't wanna know,
We come from places you don't wanna go.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:17 pm

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

i've travelled all over the world.............canada is the safest, friendliest, cleanest, strong work ethic, beautiful country, etc etc etc i have ever travelled in....east to west!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
They are not broad assumptions and obviously some locations for reasons of geographics and water etc it will not be possible for any type of expansion. So it is no good describing the towns or areas that you know of because there is always going to be a town or area that would be better suited anyway. All you basically need is a town than can support a potential population growth over a lengthy period of time through employment, housing and infrastructure and also with good town planning. Communities can then grow eventually to within say an hours commute to the urban hub nobody said it was easy but this is how it is done. Just look at many cities all over the world and you will see satellite towns surrounding them just waiting to be linked up. This is how many cities and large towns evolved in the first place and to do this they just needed people and space. In many cases there was no real town planning initially to speak of either, because if there had been these cities would have been built in different locations that in turn would have been able to support an urban growth instead of just piling people on top of one another. Having travelled and lived in countries such as Spain and various in latin America I`m sure if these disorganized and corrupt countries can support outward urban growth then an organized country like Canada surely can and do a much better job.

Have you been to Canada? Specifically have you been to the GTA?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
i've travelled all over the world.............canada is the safest, friendliest, cleanest, strong work ethic, beautiful country, etc etc etc i have ever travelled in....east to west!!!!!!!!!!!
I see your Canada and raise you one Switzerland.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I see your Canada and raise you one Switzerland.
ok......i see your switzerland (good come back) and raise you one morrocco.....(honest - verrrryyyyy low crime rate, chop your hand off stuff).
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:32 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dbd33;6765793]But that's not what happens. If you look at northern Ontario the towns are abandoned, depopulated, the people have moved to the city; not the city to them. The Scottish highlands are closer to areas of population density and large markets than most of Canada so I don't see why it's more likely for a new town to spring up in, say, the middle of Manitoba, than in Scotland.

I never meant northern Ontario anyway as its just too far away and will probably always remain abandoned.

It's not the border that's magic, it's the markets beyond it, there's no point in locating a town or industry above North Dakota or Wyoming. It's the rust belt Canadians crowd against.

My reference to the US border is based on the fact that this is where urban outward growth needs to occur because this is where the majority of the Canadian population lives. No good doing it in northern Manitoba for example unless there is an oil strike there or something.

It's not my whimsical example but the prime destination for immigrants; it's where most of them want to go. How are you going to get them to go elsewhere? (Don't think it hasn't been tried, doctors can get all manner of bonuses and tax allowances to move even to the exurbs).

This is where PNP comes in. If somebody wants to go to Canada bad enough and there are a lot on this site, then they will definately consider places that are not first choice immigrant locations.

I don't think anyone's complaining about population density. Many people, myself included, like cities and accept that, in cities, you get people squished together commiting crimes. I don't think there's anything unique about crime in the UK, sink estates here are the same as sink estates there.

The point being stick people together in a confined space and you will have more crime and other types of aggression. Space people out more and the chances are that you will see less crime, hence its no surprise to see higher crime figures in high density locations in comparison to low density locations.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Sep 9th 2008 at 6:35 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
The point being stick people together in a confined space and you will have more crime and other types of aggression. Space people out more and the chances are that you will see less crime, hence its no surprise to see higher crime figures in high density locations in comparison to low density locations.
So, here we are in Canada, we have a population density comparable to London and we have many crimes of aggression though, as noted above, more with guns and less with knives. If you know how to make the population of Canada less clustered do please enlighten us.

Pardon me, I see that you embedded your comments in the quote above. PNP is only for skilled immigrants, that's a tiny minority of immigrants to Canada and it fails to address the clustering of the existing population.

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 9th 2008 at 6:39 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

According to the BBC, Nottingham's murder rate is 5.2 per 100,000 (vs around 1.2 for the UK as a whole); Saskatoon's is also about 5 per 100,000 and it's considered one of the most dangerous cities in Canada. Meanwhile, if you head over the border, there are plenty of American cities with murder rates nearly ten times as high.

Obviously murder is only one instance of serious crime, but it's the easiest serious crime statistic to find on the web. Either way, it gives some perspective to the 'high' crime rates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.