Crime rates

Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

debbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to all
Default Crime rates

Hi all,

Just a quick question yet again !! Having recieved a pm by a fellow member was just wondering about crime rates in Saskatoon , Yes we are realistic and know crime is everywhere but what is the crime like in Canada ?? Are looking at either Saskatoon or Calgary area and was a little alarmed that crime seems a big issue in Saskatoon is this the case ??

Just want a place that feels safer to live in as everyone knows in the UK at the moment knife and drugs crime is massive just feel like locking our children up and never letting them out of our sight which is no good for them but feel thats the only way to protect them from the outside world.

Having looked into Canada so much it seems to be a lot safer place to bring children up but now im not to sure !!

Any info greatly appreciated.

Regards
Debbie x
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Crime rates

Hi Debbie,

I understand exactly what you mean regarding fear of crime here in the UK. I initially thought the same as you, and felt that Canada could have been a safer place to bring up my children too, but after tons of research and looking into destinations in more detail, this unfortunately isn't the case.

Personally, I feel Canada or anywhere in the world for that matter is quite similar to the UK. Canada is so vast, it seems to give us an illusion that our family and children will be safe, but the crime rates are just the same.

For us, this wasn't the main reason for not moving over though. The other reasons were our personal outlook of the UK/Europe and feelings for what we have here.

We're looking into buying a second home in Cornwall now, and hopefully later will follow our dream and move to Italy when the children have finished school.

Good luck with your decision, I know how difficult it can be.

Take care

Last edited by Katie76; Sep 9th 2008 at 8:03 am.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

I think you need to look at the sorts of crimes committed in Canada, not just the numbers. For example, there are a lot of gangs in Canada but their victims are (normally - unless you get in their way) members of rival gangs.

The same with murders. Winnipeg was the murder capital in 2005, then Edmonton in 2006, and last year it was Toronto. However I do believe that most of the murders committed were either gang-related or inter-family / racial (ie the First Nation people killing their own family / friends through (probably drink-fuelled) arguments).

Anyone please feel free to contradict me on this, but it was certainly my understanding after talking to some Canadians and looking on the internet (for the same reasons as you - we want a safe place for our children).

I'd say you'd probably be safer in a 'nice area' in Canada than in England, because it's easier to afford to live in nicer areas in Canada because houses are cheaper (except in BC or AB).

Safety was certainly one of our arguments for emigrating, but it shouldn't be the only one. Team it with things like: more affordable housing, 'proper' seasons (ie a real White Xmas!), beautiful scenery, more to do (outdoor activities etc - even in winter), friendlier people (in our experience anyway), overall better quality of life (mainly because you're not spending every penny on the basics like a roof over your head), - oh and the fact that the Canadians don't follow George Bush round like a puppy dog! - and it certainly does rank above the UK in our opinion

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Anita
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

debbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to all

Thanks for your replies,

Anita our needs and wants are very similar to yours , A better standard of living and the doors it could open for our children we are very realistic and know crime is everywhere , Knife crime in the Uk is so out of control and daily we see innocent young people getting killed for no apparent reason ,sport is very much a part of our lives and we know Canada is very keen on family and sports . We just know we will kick ourselves if we dont follow our dreams just seems like people forget what the uk is really like and paint an even worse picture of Canada .

Thanks again

Debbie
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:35 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

You will find most of the countries where Brits emigrate to far safer than the UK thats for sure, exception being USA but then again you can carefully choose the community you live in there. Sure these other countries have their own crimes and problems but the UK`s problem seems to be something far more serious and very disturbing and that can be contributed to many factors. The crimes committed there are just not committed for financial gain but with a genuine desire to hurt and punish their chosen victim. These crimes are born out of of a frustration against UK society in general and are triggered by the cost of living, too large a population, traffic chaos, lack of opportunities for young people etc and will only get worse with the current economic downturn. This all started back in the 80`s with road rage and people carrying baseball bats in their cars, now this has been upgraded to people carrying knives and as seen they are fully willing to use them in any given moment. What is most disturbing is that you can actually be murdered for giving somebody a bad look, knocking them off their bike, or pushing in front of them in the supermarket (These last two examples are true facts as most Brits will be aware as they were on the news and in the newspapers)
On the one hand you have the newspapers frightening people to death with these crimes, because that is what sells newspapers and then you the authorities saying that knife crime has fallen etc so not as to panic the population. All this is a load of crap because you will never know the real figures anyway. Also nobody wants to address the real problem which is curing societies social ills and really finding the cure to this problem. The reason for this as always is money, as this would require a huge investment which no government would be willing to do.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

---mlm--- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
You will find most of the countries where Brits emigrate to far safer than the UK thats for sure, exception being USA but then again you can carefully choose the community you live in there. Sure these other countries have their own crimes and problems but the UK`s problem seems to be something far more serious and very disturbing and that can be contributed to many factors. The crimes committed there are just not committed for financial gain but with a genuine desire to hurt and punish their chosen victim. These crimes are born out of of a frustration against UK society in general and are triggered by the cost of living, too large a population, traffic chaos, lack of opportunities for young people etc and will only get worse with the current economic downturn. This all started back in the 80`s with road rage and people carrying baseball bats in their cars, now this has been upgraded to people carrying knives and as seen they are fully willing to use them in any given moment. What is most disturbing is that you can actually be murdered for giving somebody a bad look, knocking them off their bike, or pushing in front of them in the supermarket (These last two examples are true facts as most Brits will be aware as they were on the news and in the newspapers)
On the one hand you have the newspapers frightening people to death with these crimes, because that is what sells newspapers and then you the authorities saying that knife crime has fallen etc so not as to panic the population. All this is a load of crap because you will never know the real figures anyway. Also nobody wants to address the real problem which is curing societies social ills and really finding the cure to this problem. The reason for this as always is money, as this would require a huge investment which no government would be willing to do.
this is exactly the problem and it getting worse. the kids know that the police can't do anything about them!! i sawa kid the other day just throw his rubbish on the floor it seems like some people just don't give a crap about the country anymore. and if you challenge them then god knows what will happen. it makes me sooooo mad. :curse:
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ---mlm---
this is exactly the problem and it getting worse. the kids know that the police can't do anything about them!! i sawa kid the other day just throw his rubbish on the floor it seems like some people just don't give a crap about the country anymore. and if you challenge them then god knows what will happen. it makes me sooooo mad. :curse:
i am not looking at canada through rose coloured glasses but it can't be any worse than here. And such things as mention before a white xmas, seasons, decent summers. The 6 wks hols for the kids were complete rubbish. happy kids and a happy hubbie make a happy mom and wife.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:27 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

If you challenge them there is a good chance that you will either be stabbed or beaten to death, what I just said may sound exaggerated but in this day and age it is a reality. A frightening statistic.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

If you challenge them there is a good chance that you will either be stabbed or beaten to death, what I just said may sound exaggerated but in this day and age it is a reality. A frightening statistic.
no its definately no exaggerated & i don't want my kids growing up thinking this is the normal way to act.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 12:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You will find most of the countries where Brits emigrate to far safer than the UK thats for sure, exception being USA
Oh, ffs. The crime rates in similar areas of the US and Canada are similar. Anacostia = Jane/Finch, rural Vermont = rural Ontario. If you go somewhere in either country with natives or to an inner city with poverty there will be a lot of crime. It's slightly different crime from the UK as here everyone who has a whim to have a gun can have one; there's less need to use knives. I suggest though that there are more bloodthirsty gangs here; Crips, Bloods, Tamil Tigers, those tattoed Mexicans who behead people, Hell's Angels, Yardies.

As mentioned above the advantage for immigrants from the UK is that they may be able to buy into a better area than they could at home (assuming high property values in the UK and a good exchange rate). The result is less perceived crime but the same could be done in the UK if only the emigrant had more money.

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 9th 2008 at 12:07 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 12:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If someone were to litter here they'd immediate be shot by vigilantes.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 12:16 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

You will find most of the countries where Brits emigrate to far safer than the UK thats for sure,
far safer? Never let the facts get in the way of a good old UK's-gone-to-the-dogs rant.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...lts-per-capita
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...pes-per-capita
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ies-per-capita
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...fts-per-capita
Old Sep 9th 2008, 12:24 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh, ffs. The crime rates in similar areas of the US and Canada are similar. Anacostia = Jane/Finch, rural Verm Ontario. If you go somewhere in either country with natives or to an inner city with poverty there will be a lot of crime. It's slightly different crime from the UK as here everyone who has a whim to have a gun can have one; there's less need to use knives. I suggest though that there are more bloodthirsty gangs here; Crips, Bloods, Tamil Tigers, those tattoed Mexicans who behead people, Hell's Angels, Yardies.

As mentioned above the advantage for immigrants from the UK is that they may be able to buy into a better area than they could at home (assuming high property values in the UK and a good exchange rate). The result is less perceived crime but the same could be done in the UK if only the emigrant had more money.
Inner cities nearly everywhere have serious crime that is a fact so nothing new there. Also the only reason people carry knives in the UK is that guns are not so readily available, if they were there would be a gun problem in the UK instead of a knife one. The gangs that you mention are a different thing altogether its a turf war, by and large stay well away from their turf then you shouldn`t be a victim of crime. The point being that the UK has a particular crime problem unique to the UK than runs a lot deeper and the scars are there for all to see.

As for the immigrant having more money to live somewhere better in the UK! Well this is highly unlikely as the type of immigration that the UK has are normally immigrants from third world countries that are not going to be able to choose where they live which is why they end up in shit areas full of crime and poverty.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 12:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Inner cities nearly everywhere have serious crime that is a fact so nothing new there. Also the only reason people carry knives in the UK is that guns are not so readily available, if they were there would be a gun problem in the UK instead of a knife one.
I'm sorry I failed to articulate that clearly.

The gangs that you mention are a different thing altogether its a turf war, by and large stay well away from their turf then you shouldn`t be a victim of crime. .

The Eaton Centre, a large shopping mall in downtown Toronto is someone's turf. Hence the shooting of bystanders right outside. The theatre district is someone else's turf, hence the many shootings there. Farmland tends not to be anyone's turf so, if you stay away from buildings, you'll be fine.

The point being that the UK has a particular crime problem unique to the UK than runs a lot deeper and the scars are there for all to see.
Besides the lack of guns, how is it unique?

As for the immigrant having more money to live somewhere better in the UK! Well this is highly unlikely as the type of immigration that the UK has are normally immigrants from third world countries that are not going to be able to choose where they live which is why they end up in shit areas full of crime and poverty.
Most immigrants to Canada are from third world countries and are not able to choose where they live which is why they end up in shit areas full of crime and poverty, but I wasn't taking about them. I was talking about you, the typical emigrant from the UK.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 12:37 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

[QUOTE=dbd33;6764912]Oh, ffs. The crime rates in similar areas of the US and Canada are similar. Anacostia = Jane/Finch, rural Vermont = rural Ontario. If you go somewhere in either country with natives or to an inner city with poverty there will be a lot of crime. It's slightly different crime from the UK as here everyone who has a whim to have a gun can have one; there's less need to use knives. I suggest though that there are more bloodthirsty gangs here; Crips, Bloods, Tamil Tigers, those tattoed Mexicans who behead people, Hell's Angels, Yardies.

Comparing crime levels between rural Vermont and rural Ontario I find that puzzling becuase one has a population of 600.000 approx and the other 12.000.000 approx better to compare the Ontario example to say California or New York

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.