Reload this Page >

Crime in Canada???

Crime in Canada???

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

paulspell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crime in Canada???

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what crime rates are like in Canada?

How does it compare with UK and Australia?
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I looked up "crime rates in Canada" on the Internet - came up with this

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/020717/d020717b.htm

don't forget that statistics can more or less show anything you want!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:29 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Crime in Canada???

Originally posted by paulspell
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what crime rates are like in Canada?

How does it compare with UK and Australia?

Pretty similar, though thats my impression and not backed up by facts. Possibly I'm a bit biased because my wifes family here in Vancouver has over the last year or two, been victim to a whole range of crimes....couple of house break-ins, car stereo stolen, vandalised and stolen. You'll hear about gun crime/serious crime/gang crime in the papers etc but unless you're unlucky you won't get mixed up inthe serious stuff. But alot of the stuff you hear about elsewhere happens here...eleven year old joy riders killing pedestrians say, to take a local example from yesterday. Just my impression though....
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Peronally the crime rate here seems pretty low compared to London or the rest of the UK and I'm in Toronto. I feel safe to walk down the street alone at night and the youngsters seem to be very polite on the whole.

Int.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:29 am
Just Joined

emmanuel is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also in Toronto. I moved here from Vancouver and I have to say that it's safe here in Toronto. When I was still living in Robsot St. in Vancouver (and it's supposed to be a safe area of downtown) I was a favorite victim of break-ins (I lost count) and my car stolen... etc etc...
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lizwil98
I looked up "crime rates in Canada" on the Internet - came up with this

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/020717/d020717b.htm

don't forget that statistics can more or less show anything you want!!!!!!!!!
Interesting stats on crime by Province with the NWT, Nunuvut and Yukon on top (the worst) and Newfoundland at the bottom (the best). I had heard that the latter had the lowest crime rate before, which makes one wonder about those that constantly link high crime rates with poverty.

In general, I feel quite safe here in Canada. I have never been impacted by crime in all of my 37 years here. Not once.

Last edited by TimEh?; Jul 24th 2003 at 4:26 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that this incident is limited to Vancouver, but my friend's son and his wife were in Vancouver for a few months. They rented an apartment in a downtown highrise with underground parking that had a security guard and video surveillance. The first weekend they were there his car was one of 11 or so cars broken into. After the same thing happened a second and third time, they moved. He was even contemplating parking his car in a residential area and taking the bus back home!

It sounded like an inside job to me - otherwise how would the thief get access to the parking lot?