Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cricket in Newfoundland

Wikiposts

Cricket in Newfoundland

Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cricket in Newfoundland

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I haven't played cricket since school many years ago so am not a likely candidate for any team. However I'd be happy to provide moral support (in the bar), at least.

OK We have the drinking team side of it sorted out
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:17 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I felt the quotes added to that post, albeit unintentionally. I felt the idea of being a "scorer" conveyed a pleasant, perhaps mythical, image of a game on a village green watched by someone in a white dress and straw hat who languidly makes notes tenuously related to the progress of the match.

The use of the quotes conveyed an ability not to take matters too seriously, a sense or proportion about a rather silly, if enjoyable, game. Those quotes set the happy tone for my day, I thought I might listen to some Wishbone Ash and wondered when next I would encounter a Morris dancing side.
Oh dbd you're spot on and now you've set the tone for my day .....

Wishbone Ash .... aaah remember FUBB? ... when we were in San Diego last month there was talk of WA appearing at Humphreys .... apparently they are just as good but with no hair!

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Village cricket with 'scorers' is a joy to watch so you do make a valid point there, a rather florid point but valid. I hereby withdraw by objection to 'scorers'.
Thanks Fled ... very gracious

Originally Posted by GloriousGlenn

Thanks to nldfc and Jingle
No worries - best of luck

Originally Posted by iaink
Enough already, can we just keep to the topic for once?
Apologies Iain
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:25 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
My favourite village cricket ground is in Hook Norton, near Banbury. The pavilion is only a very short walk from the local brewery, so there's very fine Oxfordshire ale available to lubricate the side fielding second, not to mention the lower-order batsmen into the after-tea sesson.
Huge coincidence - my grandfather's ashes were scattered on the bowling creases at the cricket ground there. Don't think I ever saw him without a pint of Hookys in his hand

J

And apologies again Iain
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingle
Oh dbd you're spot on and now you've set the tone for my day .....

Wishbone Ash .... aaah remember FUBB? ... when we were in San Diego last month there was talk of WA appearing at Humphreys .... apparently they are just as good but with no hair!
To be candid, I never much cared for Wishbone Ash and I feel strongly that well known musicians have an obligation to drop dead or disappear to jail once their peak has been reached, neither Ian Curtis nor Gary Glitter are likely to wind up tarnishing their great reputations by playing at the Holiday Inn.

I mentioned Wishbone Ash as I thought this:

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/albu...29c6/16267.jpg

relevant, on topic, not deviating from the theme of the thread, in no way digression or banter.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:19 am
Curiously Wise

To be candid, I never much cared for Wishbone Ash and I feel strongly that well known musicians have an obligation to drop dead or disappear to jail once their peak has been reached, neither Ian Curtis nor Gary Glitter are likely to wind up tarnishing their great reputations by playing at the Holiday Inn.

I mentioned Wishbone Ash as I thought this:

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/albu...29c6/16267.jpg

relevant, on topic, not deviating from the theme of the thread, in no way digression or banter.
Shame - the link didn't work for some reason ...

I have a great (true) story about Gary Glitter taking his driving test in Banbury but as it doesn't relate to cricket or have any quotation marks I think I'll leave it for another day.

J

I'm guessing you meant this

Last edited by Jingle; Jul 20th 2010 at 2:25 am. Reason: added link
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Shame - the link didn't work for some reason ...

I have a great (true) story about Gary Glitter taking his driving test in Banbury but as it doesn't relate to cricket or have any quotation marks I think I'll leave it for another day.

J
Another link, same picture, and yes, it's that:

http://www.ecompil.fr/bk_img/0000/00...11044824_S.jpg

Is there no reference to balls in your story about the Gary?

Last edited by dbd33; Jul 20th 2010 at 2:28 am. Reason: acknowledged added link in post above
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:42 am
Curiously Wise

Another link, same picture, and yes, it's that:

http://www.ecompil.fr/bk_img/0000/00...11044824_S.jpg

Is there no reference to balls in your story about the Gary?
Come to think of it there is a loose reference to something of that nature but I dare not go further as Iain will be on the prowl soon

Just to keep on track ... "interesting" story in Globe and Mail a couple of weeks ago.

J

**A single word or a short phrase may be enclosed in quotation marks to indicate ironic use.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

Come to think of it there is a loose reference to something of that nature but I dare not go further as Iain will be on the prowl soon

Just to keep on track ... "interesting" story in Globe and Mail a couple of weeks ago.

J

**A single word or a short phrase may be enclosed in quotation marks to indicate ironic use.
Nice avatar picture, is that Umar Bhatti on the horse?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:44 am
Just Joined

GloriousGlenn is an unknown quantity at this point

Please see attached poster advertising a tuition session and match at King George V Park on 6th August.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Cricket in St John's.doc (381.5 KB, 71 views)
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:09 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

I know a guy in St John's who is definitely interested, so I have passed on the information as he doesn't come on this site.

As for me, I'm no good at cricket, but I'm sure i can make Pimms!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:38 am
Just Joined

GloriousGlenn is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can make Pimms...you're hired!!!