Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Creepy crawlies....?

Creepy crawlies....?

Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Messorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Creepy crawlies....?

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
People (can) die from West Nile, mosquitoes carry West Nile. Are you saying you;ve never seen a Mossie????
And the bears, cougars, rattlesnakes out west, hell the deer and moose are completely capable of killing you if you piss one off. Oh and bats! Rabid bats.

Last edited by Messorius; Mar 5th 2007 at 3:44 am.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Cicadas are a type of insects with the ability to fly in their mature form. They are often heard during July and August as the males stretch and release their tymbals, they make a noise that can reach up to 106 decibels & sounds like a round of applause to me

I've seen some pretty ugly beetles as well .............
You know the noise you get when you take a pack of cards, some pegs, and peg the cards to your bicycle spokes......

.... fortunately these monsters are mostly harmless.... it's the wee buggers and the hornets you have to watch out for.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Aw, can't we make up a few just to keep the MIL from visiting?

She's not keen on birds - heard that downtown Kelowna is a martyr to whole flocks of bald eagles, isn't that so?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
You know the noise you get when you take a pack of cards, some pegs, and peg the cards to your bicycle spokes......

.... fortunately these monsters are mostly harmless.... it's the wee buggers and the hornets you have to watch out for.
Are they the giant Bee killing hornets that live in football shaped nests?
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Cicadas are a type of insects with the ability to fly in their mature form. They are often heard during July and August as the males stretch and release their tymbals, they make a noise that can reach up to 106 decibels & sounds like a round of applause to me

I've seen some pretty ugly beetles as well .............
i might be able to hear them then!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Are they the giant Bee killing hornets that live in football shaped nests?
In SW Ontario we had waaayyy too many hornets and paper wasps for my liking........being a waspie-phobe, I refused to enjoy my summer sitting on my back deck with my family, and chose to sit behind the screen door We also had too many earwigs too......gross !!

As for here in AB, we have yellow jackets, but they have never been a nuisance (thankfully)......however, I absolutely LOVE the awesome dragonflies here......talk about fascinating and colourful!!

Canadian Tire sells a book called Insects of Alberta and in their spiders section they say that way down in the Medicine Hat area there are supposed to be camel spiders!!
Attached Thumbnails Creepy crawlies....?-camelspider1.jpg  
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:34 am

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you on the stunning dragon/damsel flies, here in Calgary I have seen many in my garden inc, red, yellow, blue and green huge ones.
Its mainly the mozzies that bother me and the black flies that stick to your lip gloss in the summer (yuk).

I had just about got over the nightmares I had from seeing the Camel Spider email that went around a few years ago,the one with the squaddies holding one eating another taken in Iraq I think. So now I am sure to have the mares again from seeing this freaky thing.
And now I know they might be in Medicine Hat that's a bit close to me. Will do some research on that before I move tho.Ergh...
Mrs mini
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minihaha
I agree with you on the stunning dragon/damsel flies, here in Calgary I have seen many in my garden inc, red, yellow, blue and green huge ones.
Its mainly the mozzies that bother me and the black flies that stick to your lip gloss in the summer (yuk).

I had just about got over the nightmares I had from seeing the Camel Spider email that went around a few years ago,the one with the squaddies holding one eating another taken in Iraq I think. So now I am sure to have the mares again from seeing this freaky thing.
And now I know they might be in Medicine Hat that's a bit close to me. Will do some research on that before I move tho.Ergh...
Mrs mini
Ok, I've been doing some research myself on the camel spiders but so far am not coming up with proof YET!! However, I think this is pretty hair-raising stuff!!
http://people.uleth.ca/~dan.johnson/bws.htm
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok, this is the best link I could find to back up my previous post......at the end of the day, the very south eastern part of Alberta is desert-like and so will be home to creatures you would expect to find in the desert....i.e. rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widow spiders, etc...

http://bio-ditrl.sunsite.ualberta.ca/detail/?P_MNO=1763
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Ok, I've been doing some research myself on the camel spiders but so far am not coming up with proof YET!! However, I think this is pretty hair-raising stuff!!
http://people.uleth.ca/~dan.johnson/bws.htm
Hair-raising stuff indeed. Im absolutely pooping em now . Will show hubby this later, just to make sure he know's why im waking him up at 3am batting the hell out of him as i've done before with the Camel Spiders.

Thnx Ruby
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:06 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Here's a dragonfly on my arm - summer 2005.

I first noticed it when I saw its shadow on the ground as it flew by, and then it came back with a bug in its mouth and landed on my arm. The bug was gone in three chomps, and I was praying the dragonfly was full already.
Attached Thumbnails Creepy crawlies....?-dsc_0482-print.jpg  
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:12 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Oooooooo.............don't know how you can stand having it on your skin. I would seriously freak.
Have to say, they are rather attractive as bugs go..............on the computer screen !!!!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Wannabe
Here's a dragonfly on my arm - summer 2005.

I first noticed it when I saw its shadow on the ground as it flew by, and then it came back with a bug in its mouth and landed on my arm. The bug was gone in three chomps, and I was praying the dragonfly was full already.
Awesome pic Wannnabe. Love the Turqoise colour you caught it just right.
Mrs Mini
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:12 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
In SW Ontario we had waaayyy too many hornets and paper wasps for my liking........being a waspie-phobe, I refused to enjoy my summer sitting on my back deck with my family, and chose to sit behind the screen door
That would freak me out big time - I'm a fellow waspiphobe, that's Ontario off my list for sure!!!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Creepy crawlies?

I did have a pic of the huge wasp nest that I found under the soffit, but cant find it now. Was really quite beautiful in its own ways. I guess these will have to do. No sign of the man eating beaver when I went to get a picture yesterday...just a beautiful sunset instead.
Attached Thumbnails Creepy crawlies....?-img_1620-medium-.jpg   Creepy crawlies....?-img_1609-medium-.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.