Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Creepy crawlies....?

Creepy crawlies....?

Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:05 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Creepy crawlies....?

Just wondering what kind of nasties you could expect to find in Canada? If you visit the Australia forum, there's threads about all kind of nasty insects, snakes, spiders etc!

What's the worst you could expect in Canada? (except being eaten by a bear )

I have a personal dislike for wasps - a real pain in the arse trying to eat or drink outside in the summer in the UK.... Is there a similar number in Canada?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Creepy crawlies....?

Originally Posted by G77
Just wondering what kind of nasties you could expect to find in Canada?

Expat-Brits the place is over-run with them.

As for wasps yes we have them some years more than others.

Hinterland Who's Who species page of wildlife in Canada website. Unfortunately not much info on insects.

Last edited by Steve_P; Mar 4th 2007 at 6:22 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Bears, Mountain Lions (some jogger was eaten by one while I was in Canada a few years ago), Gophers, Midges. Not sure beyond that.

At least the gophers just dig under my girlfriend's porch and hang onto the bug-net on her door, so they're not too hazardous .
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:34 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Just wondering what kind of nasties you could expect to find in Canada? If you visit the Australia forum, there's threads about all kind of nasty insects, snakes, spiders etc!

I have a personal dislike for wasps - a real pain in the arse trying to eat or drink outside in the summer in the UK.... Is there a similar number in Canada?

Cicadas are noisy but not too nasty
Attached Thumbnails Creepy crawlies....?-jon2006sm.jpg  
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Cicadas are noisy but not too nasty
What the heck is that?????

Penny
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:47 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77

It depends what you mean by worst. Snakes, spiders, bears, etc... don't really bother me and mosquitos, etc. leave me be but anything in rivers and lakes, no matter how docile or imaginary they are, scare the crap out of me. I once hauled-ass out of some lake when some kid yelled 'Jaws!' And I'm now remembering a pic Iaink posted of a snapping turtle....
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp

Penny
Otherwise commonly known as 'heat-bugs' You tend to hear them (Summer time) in the heat of the day rather than see them.

If your really bored (or interested) see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada for more info.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:26 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp

Penny

Cicadas are a type of insects with the ability to fly in their mature form. They are often heard during July and August as the males stretch and release their tymbals, they make a noise that can reach up to 106 decibels & sounds like a round of applause to me

I've seen some pretty ugly beetles as well .............
Attached Thumbnails Creepy crawlies....?-july-2006.jpg  
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Messorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
It depends what you mean by worst. Snakes, spiders, bears, etc... don't really bother me and mosquitos, etc. leave me be but anything in rivers and lakes, no matter how docile or imaginary they are, scare the crap out of me. I once hauled-ass out of some lake when some kid yelled 'Jaws!' And I'm now remembering a pic Iaink posted of a snapping turtle....
You forgot the blackflies. Pure evil.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

anything in rivers and lakes, no matter how docile or imaginary they are, scare the crap out of me.
There was an alligator found in Montana recently, but I don't think they've reached Canada. From what I remember of the news reports some guys from the nearby trailer park stabbed it to death and then cooked it...
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:10 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

The mozzies aren't pleasant. And this summer, after all the snow weve had over the winter, they are predicting a bad outbreak of the little blighters .

Huge .....and I mean HUGE dragonflys. And not just near water either. Had them in my back garden last summer. Thankfully only for a short period of time. They were gross.

Also, there were some weird hopping things on the pavements the first summer we were here. God only knows what they were as I didn't go for a close inspection. Got the hell outa there fast.!!

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to mini beasts!!!

On the plus side, the spiders here are no where near as freaky as those big spotty dudes you got in the UK.

This is how much I hate spiders.................I was chilling on the sun lounger in my garden in the UK. Glanced over at one of my lovely plants, only to spot the mother of all spotty spiders dangling between the leaves. I dashed inside, and came back armed with my "Flash Spray with Bleach". Blitzed the swine to oblivion. And killed my lovely plant along with it. Hub was not Impressed !
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:18 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We are supposed to get some poisonous spiders aren't we? .... Black widows and Brown recluse?? But I have seen far fewer spiders here than in the UK, and cobwebs almost non-existent as a cleaning challenge!

We did get those swarms of enormous dragon flies a couple of summer evenings, and yes they were well weird! And I don't get on with the mozzies too well.

They have snakes out in the prairies, but not very venomous I don't think ..... (though I think there are some forms of rattler), but I don't expect they are really seen as a problem like in Australia.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice

I have lived here for over thirty years and never seen anything that will kill you. However, the mosquitos or back flies may drive you insane...

Cheers
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Messorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by R2D2

Huge .....and I mean HUGE dragonflys. And not just near water either. Had them in my back garden last summer. Thankfully only for a short period of time. They were gross.
Dragonflies eat mosquitoes and gnats and all kinds of other assorted little bitey things (so do the spiders!). I LOVE the suckers. Anything that eats what tries to eat me is awesome possum in my books, especially with that West Nile crap popping up more and more.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:35 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backdoor
I have lived here for over thirty years and never seen anything that will kill you. However, the mosquitos or back flies may drive you insane...

Cheers
People (can) die from West Nile, mosquitoes carry West Nile. Are you saying you;ve never seen a Mossie????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.