Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Credit Rating - American Express...

Credit Rating - American Express...

Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

trippa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit Rating - American Express...

Hi All,

I need some help trying to get my head around the Credit Rating issues.
Obviously with the credit system in meltdown, I know it wont be easy, but here it goes.
I use my American Express Platinum Card on virtually every purchase I make here in the UK. I have had my limit extended twice now and it is in the 5 figure mark.
What I would like to know, is if the Banks etc over in Canada would look at my rating with Amex and use this as a benchmark?
Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:50 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Rating - American Express...

Probably not, but there again they might. We managed to get credit cards with the HSBC because we banked with them in the UK. Our credit rating didn't come into the decision, it was on our past history with HSBC in the UK.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:51 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

No the banks won't. Except for Amex who should if asked transfer you account to a Canadian one. Then it may start to establish your credit rating.

Check the Wiki, it holds the secrets of the generations
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
No the banks won't. Except for Amex who should if asked transfer you account to a Canadian one. Then it may start to establish your credit rating.

Check the Wiki, it holds the secrets of the generations
Cheers!

I was under the impression that due to it's global standing it would allow a transfer. As when I rang up the helpline, the woman was unsure if this was possible.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by trippa
Cheers!

I was under the impression that due to it's global standing it would allow a transfer. As when I rang up the helpline, the woman was unsure if this was possible.

Thanks again!
Ignore the women and use the web-site: http://www.americanexpress.com/globa...nsfer_en.shtml
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Ignore the women and use the web-site: http://www.americanexpress.com/globa...nsfer_en.shtml
Nice one!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We tried when we got here and refused me cos I wasn't working and DH who is on a good wage was also refused, sure the person on the phone didn't have a clue
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

I transferred my UK amex to a canadian one and pretty much got the same credit as I had in the uk converted to cad obviously. Wasn't really a problem except I had to chase up my bank to confirm to them that I was a customer there.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trippa
I use my American Express Platinum Card on virtually every purchase I make here in the UK. I have had my limit extended twice now and it is in the 5 figure mark.
I don't follow. I thought the whole point of having an Amex card was that it has no credit limit; I've charged as much as US$25,000 in a month and as little as $500 without there being any fuss.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't follow. I thought the whole point of having an Amex card was that it has no credit limit; I've charged as much as US$25,000 in a month and as little as $500 without there being any fuss.
There are different types of amex cards
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Applied for MC - rejected. Another MC - rejected, but this time it was my bank. Called them, asked to check direct deposits from my employer. They reassessed my application, got the card few days later. $1000 limit, but why do you need more to start?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
Applied for MC - rejected. Another MC - rejected, but this time it was my bank. Called them, asked to check direct deposits from my employer. They reassessed my application, got the card few days later. $1000 limit, but why do you need more to start?
Because you need to spend more than $1000?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Because you need to spend more than $1000?
TD bank told me I could use UK credit history for a credit card with them
Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks all!

That has helped clear up quite a bit of confusion, very much appreciated!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

We couldn't get a visa credit card over here initially without securing it with our own money. I then transferred my UK Amex to a Canadian one with no problems (wasn't working at the time).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.