Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Credit line / credit rating prior to move

Credit line / credit rating prior to move

Old Apr 12th 2020, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Credit line / credit rating prior to move

Hi all,

Pros and cons of setting up- if possible, a line of credit online from UK prior to move.

I am a citizen but no SiN number as I've been living in UK.

Edit: I understand the process is usually completed by landing and attending the bank but the current situation means I can't get over yet... I'd like to sort a credit rating prior to a move... If there's such a thing.

Thank you kindly guys

Last edited by DarwinCharles; Apr 12th 2020 at 9:34 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 9:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Credit line / credit rating prior to move

Originally Posted by DarwinCharles
Hi all,

Pros and cons of setting up- if possible, a line of credit online from UK prior to move.

I am a citizen but no SiN number as I've been living in UK.

Edit: I understand the process is usually completed by landing and attending the bank but the current situation means I can't get over yet... I'd like to sort a credit rating prior to a move... If there's such a thing.

Thank you kindly guys
Without a job nor any security to offer, it's unlikely that you would be able to obtain a line of credit unless you had a good relationship with your bank... you might want to read over this: https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-c...es-credit.html
For different bank links see our wiki - but you will need a SI Number to complete the process I believe: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Banking-Canada

A line of credit and your credit rating are very different things Are you hoping to raise your credit rating for obtaining a mortgage or similar? If so, read up on 'newcomers' mortgages and what you can provide if you don't have a credit rating yet in Canada.. New To Canada Program - Products - Genworth Canada - Homeownership

Edited to say, it is possible to obtain your SI number if you are not in Canada
If you do not live in Canada You are eligible to apply by mail. In order to apply, consult the Application for a Social Insurance Number – Information Guide for Applicants.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 12th 2020 at 9:53 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you indeed. I will be working for myself and I could forsee that being a problem credit wise. I do mean a credit rating yes, I'll take a look!

Thank you indeed.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Edited to say, it is possible to obtain your SI number if you are not in Canada[/QUOTE]

One would assume I'd need my address set up first in Alberta for my SiN?

Thank you.. Very kind!
Old Apr 12th 2020, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit line / credit rating prior to move

No.

You do need to give them a Canadian address as their system insists on it. I did a soft landing and they were happy to use my cousins business address.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 5:36 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Edited to say, it is possible to obtain your SI number if you are not in Canada

Thank you.. Very kind!
Did you see my earlier post

If you do not live in Canada

You are eligible to apply by mail. In order to apply, consult the Application for a Social Insurance Number – Information Guide for Applicants.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...sin/apply.html
From the application form (which also allows you to put down an address outside of Canada):

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 13th 2020 at 4:27 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

As a former banker in Canada I would not entertain a request for a L of C from a non-resident of Canada without a pledge of Cash Collateral equal to the limit granted and not to be drawn down until applicant obtains residence status within Canada and is landed. Without residence status, no employment/income, no Canadian credit experience he/she would be a most unsuitable Unsecured borrower.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 4:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
As a former banker in Canada I would not entertain a request for a L of C from a non-resident of Canada without a pledge of Cash Collateral equal to the limit granted and not to be drawn down until applicant obtains residence status within Canada and is landed. Without residence status, no employment/income, no Canadian credit experience he/she would be a most unsuitable Unsecured borrower.
The OP is a Canadian Citizen who hasn't lived in Canada previously I believe.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Yes, that's correct. I was born to a Canadian father in the UK and law quirks prevented him from registering us. The IRCC head gave us a 5.4 so it doesn't recognise us from birth.. Hopefully, the law will change as that's ridiculous.

So, my sister and I are left packed and ready to go but with the current situation, we will remain here as we'd struggle to get an address in Calgary atm with Air bnb rentals ect and no way to get work or groceries for the first 14 days of arrival.

Tricky situation.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Okay, but without employment/income and credit history he would still be an unsuitable borrower, unless fully secured.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Okay, but without employment/income and credit history he would still be an unsuitable borrower, unless fully secured.
Is there any way of building a credit score.. a start at least, before we move?

Thank you kindly
Old Apr 14th 2020, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any way of building a credit score.. a start at least, before we move?

Thank you kindly
you could get a prepaid credit card. But I think you’d need to be in Canada to do so. Check capital one as they’re international...
Old Apr 14th 2020, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, if anyone is able to confirm either way, I'd be grateful. I've tried researching but no answers

Thanks guys
Old Apr 15th 2020, 3:38 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We managed to get a $25k line of credit through HSBC when we moved 10 years ago. We didn’t have jobs or an address, but we did have a good UK credit history and a reasonable amount in the bank. I guess both of those counted for something.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 4:17 pm
Banned

You could try this.. open an account with one of the banks online (see - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Banking-Canada ) and see if you could apply for a SECURED credit card - you give the bank $500 / $1000 and they place that into a GIC Bond (Guaranteed Investment Certificate) then issue you with a credit card up to that maximum, which you can use at will, pay off regularly and build your credit rating. They return the $ once you reach the 1 year mark or have proved yourself to be a good risk, if that's earlier. Once you have your Social Insurance Number you could use it and perhaps 'up' your credit rating.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 15th 2020 at 4:22 pm.