Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Credit Card fraud question

Credit Card fraud question

Old Oct 1st 2006, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

eyey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit Card fraud question

Got surprised today when checking my credit card balance.
There was a $22.00 charge for a transaction that I don't know about.
FYI, I never used this CC for the past one month.
I live in Mississauga, the transaction was made in Richmond, BC by KIDS PLACE (company name?)

I called the CC company and got told there will be an investigation.
They will charge $2.00 for the investigation, but if ever the transaction is a fraud, it will be waived.
There will no follow up from them, they will just roll-back the transaction if it's proved to be a fraud.
Is this common for them to do just that? Is it because the amount is relatively small...?
Do I need to change the CC# or perhaps just cancel it?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 2:58 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Card fraud question

Originally Posted by eyey
I live in Mississauga, the transaction was made in Richmond, BC by KIDS PLACE (company name?)

They will charge $2.00 for the investigation, but if ever the transaction is a fraud, it will be waived.
There will no follow up from them, they will just roll-back the transaction if it's proved to be a fraud.
Is this common for them to do just that? Is it because the amount is relatively small...?

Thanks in advance.
I would cancel that CC if you have one transaction on it that you nothing of how many may come in the future.

Cancel that's all I can say.

Raine
Old Oct 1st 2006, 3:01 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
The only Kids Place I know in Richmond is a Sally Army daycare. Interestingly, they charge $22 a day. Are you sure you haven't been cloned? It is common for them to reverse the transaction if it's small, but they will be watching your account to see what is going on. You should not be charged anything for an investigation by the way.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 3:26 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Has your card been cancelled by the issuer? If not cancel it as this might have been a test run on the card to see if they could get off with the transaction.

Also check with a credit reference agency (not sure who in Canada) to make sure no fraudulent applications for credit have been made in your name. You can ask them to take incorrect information off your file.

In the UK the most you will have to pay is 50 quid if a large debt has been run up. In practice, many banks and credit card companies will not charge you at all.

Hope this is all sorted for you,
Old Oct 1st 2006, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

andrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
my card was ripped off recently.....some git had been spending his way round the lower mainland...i rang the c.c people, explained the situation and they immediately cancelled my card and sent me a new one (which took about a week to arrive). it was a bit of a hassle being without the card for a week or so, but it had to be done of course. they didn't (immediately) charge me anything, but i would think the cc people would check out what happened and find out if its a genuine case of fraud. i have an rbc visa card btw.
i also know a couple of other people who were victims of c.c fraud recently....definitely something thats seems to be increasing.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

melina is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a similar problem. someone was using my debit card (or a clone). the bank said that the investigation is a standard procedure just to check whether it was really someone else carrying out the transaction. i got my money back in less that 5 business days and it was $1000.

something else: they actually cancelled my card and gave me a new one... not recommended to keep a credit card or debit card if someone else can use it!

good luck!
Old Oct 4th 2006, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

In Canada T&Cs for credit cards say that you aren't liable for fraud. But bear in mind that Canadian cards are different from UK cards for dodgy suppliers: in the UK if you order off the net and the supplier doesn't deliver (fraud, goes bust, sends the wrong thing, etc.) then you can get your money back from the card. In Canada this is generally not the case - if you authorise the payment, that's the last you see of the money*.

K.
*Visa in Canada does have a (weak) protection scheme. Mastercard and Amex don't.