Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Craig, not 'Creg'! So annoying...

Craig, not 'Creg'! So annoying...

Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Craig, not 'Creg'! So annoying...

My name is Alison and is pronounced here by everyone as Elison and my little dog Mac is now Meck!!!

One of the girls in our local bank is called Candice and she says I am the only person here who pronounces her name properly...the locals call her "Candace" and she is a Canadian born and rared here, but yet she knows the difference in her name.

Though on the upside...I couldnt care less how they say my name I'm just so glad to hear it pronounced the Canadian way everyday cos then I'm not in the UK
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

My boss in Canada had a son Craig (pronounced Creg of course) it took me awhile to figure out why he looked confused when I was telling him his son Craig had called the office.

Also you'd think Elaine was a pretty straight forward name but I used to get some very confused looks from Canadian who couldn't understand what I was saying. At first it irritated me a little but after awhile I just got used to pronouncing it with less of an NI accent.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

My OH's name is Mark and Americans always think he's saying "Mike", because we don't pronounce the "r" in his name. Then when we spell it, they say, "Oh, Marrrrrrrrrk"!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:40 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lousid
Hopefully, it's not just me who is irritated by this mispronunciation. If it is, I'll just have to get a life, I guess ... and yes, there are far more important issues to discuss like Canadian Midwives not having the same professional status as UK ones. It seems there is some bad blood between midwifery and some doctors ... could just be our experience, though. Right now, we're waiting for little Miss to arrive any moment soon. Another Sidlet to add to the growing clan. What do you lot think?

My mates used to hate being called Stooowert and Marrrt'n when they used to visit. Infact Martin was renamed after being called out as Martian Philis instead of Philips.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:44 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
My boss in Canada had a son Craig (pronounced Creg of course) it took me awhile to figure out why he looked confused when I was telling him his son Craig had called the office.
My wife is from Quebec, but she lived in England for 14 years with me and learned her English there. Nearly all Canadians seem to think she's English and her pronunciation is pretty good to the point she correct our kids with their 'canadian' errors... BUT, she still calls me friend Craig who she met in England and knew for age... 'Creg', maybe there's something particularly hard about it!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't like to be a Graham here either. Gram.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

even worse when you hear CO-LIN instead of COL-IN (especially when talking about the Ex US secretary of State -Colin Powell)
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Laowai79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jempee
Oh thank the lord im right with you on this one!

Have just had to show your post to my husband as he knows how much it irritates the HELL out of me to have our son called 'Creg' instead of Craig
Seriously? This bothers you? Have you considered why people say your son's name the way they do? While I was living in Asia (I'm Canadian), I made friends from all over the world. Each of them pronounced my name (Sean) differently. My Aussie\Kiwi friends pronounced my name the same sort of the way Canadians say the word 'shown' or 'shorn' (not exactly, but similar). It would have been unnatural for them to try to say my name the way I do. My Korean friends would say my name sort of like 'shun'. Their language doesn't have the vowel sound to pronounce my name 'correctly'.

In Canada, the name 'Craig' has only one pronunciation (that I know of). So, unless you tell people how you want it to be pronounced, they will say 'Creg'. Maybe you want them to pronounce it like 'crag'? But that would be kind of unnatural for us.

I once had a 'discussion' with a woman from London who informed me that Canadians, Americans, Aussies, etc..do not speak English. We speak 'American' or 'Canadian'.

Anyway, I think it's reasonable for people to ask others to pronounce their name the way they wish it to be spoken. For example, my Scottish friend asked us to pronounce his name 'Fraser' with an emphasis on the 'z' sound. We had been saying it like 'Frasier Crane'. That was easy enough to do. However, when it's linguistically awkward for people, due to variations in vowel sounds, I don't think you should get bent out of shape.

Last edited by Laowai79; Oct 18th 2008 at 7:31 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Laowai79
Seriously? This bothers you? Have you considered why people say your son's name the way they do? While I was living in Asia (I'm Canadian), I made friends from all over the world. Each of them pronounced my name (Sean) differently. My Aussie\Kiwi friends pronounced my name the same sort of the way Canadians say the word 'shown' or 'shorn' (not exactly, but similar). It would have been unnatural for them to try to say my name the way I do. My Korean friends would say my name sort of like 'shun'. Their language doesn't have the vowel sound to pronounce my name 'correctly'.

In Canada, the name 'Craig' has only one pronunciation (that I know of). So, unless you tell people how you want it to be pronounced, they will say 'Creg'. Maybe you want them to pronounce it like 'crag'? But that would be kind of unnatural for us.

I once had a 'discussion' with a woman from London who informed me that Canadians, Americans, Aussies, etc..do not speak English. We speak 'American' or 'Canadian'.
Yes it does bother me. The way canadians pronounce it sounds awful! I hate it.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

So how are you suppose to say Craig?

To me Craig and Creg are two different spellings for exactly the same thing.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby is called Iain... most people here seem to want to call him either EYE-an or Lain......
He's not alone. And there at least two of us posting on Expats!

I don't think the gaelic spelling ever made it over here, certainly few North Americans of non-European descent have ever seen it spelt this way.

I get Iaian, Lain, but by far the most popular seems to be Iian.

Still, it doesn't bug me, it's nice to be unique
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, people, I just have to chuckle at the range of responses here! I'm just glad it's not only me that finds the different pronunciations of names a little weird (and, yes, annoying) from time to time. I'm not getting 'bent out of shape' over this, I'm actually chortling as I type ...

... could be the fact that my little girl 'Saffron' - not 'Sarrf-Ron' - was born last night making me a very proud daddy.

Thanks to all for the fits of giggles. Good to know I'm not alone.

Cheers
Lousid
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:20 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jempee
Yes it does bother me. The way canadians pronounce it sounds awful! I hate it.
A gentle reminder...you are the one who came here so don't expect them to change, get used to it.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:28 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I named my daughter Lottie - the short version of Charlotte, she didn't get named Charlotte as I didn't want her called Charlie.

How was I supposed to know way back when, that I was going to move to Canada and how was I supposed to know way back then that she would no longer be called Lottie but Loddy (Think I would have prefferred Charlie)

Really worrying thing, she has had Birthday cards spelt Loddy.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
He's not alone. And there at least two of us posting on Expats!

I don't think the gaelic spelling ever made it over here, certainly few North Americans of non-European descent have ever seen it spelt this way.

I get Iaian, Lain, but by far the most popular seems to be Iian.

Still, it doesn't bug me, it's nice to be unique
Just be grateful that you were never named Eoin.

In my own recollection, I have never heard "Craig" pronounced as if it was "Greg with a C" unless specifically requested. Craig has always rhymed with "egg". Nor have I heard Canadians automatically pronounce "Ian" as "Eye-in", unless, again, it was a specific request. However, that's just me.

As for Sean, Shawn, etc - they're all homonyms in Canada. The name "Sian" does not exist in Canada, either.

Last edited by Lychee; Oct 18th 2008 at 11:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.