Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Craig, not 'Creg'! So annoying...

Craig, not 'Creg'! So annoying...

Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold
Default Craig, not 'Creg'! So annoying...

Hopefully, it's not just me who is irritated by this mispronunciation. If it is, I'll just have to get a life, I guess ... and yes, there are far more important issues to discuss like Canadian Midwives not having the same professional status as UK ones. It seems there is some bad blood between midwifery and some doctors ... could just be our experience, though. Right now, we're waiting for little Miss to arrive any moment soon. Another Sidlet to add to the growing clan. What do you lot think?

Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Craig, not 'Creg'! So annoying...

In Scotland it is defo Craig!
Hope your new addition is healthy! Good luck
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:00 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lousid
Hopefully, it's not just me who is irritated by this mispronunciation. If it is, I'll just have to get a life, I guess ... and yes, there are far more important issues to discuss like Canadian Midwives not having the same professional status as UK ones. It seems there is some bad blood between midwifery and some doctors ... could just be our experience, though. Right now, we're waiting for little Miss to arrive any moment soon. Another Sidlet to add to the growing clan. What do you lot think?

Dont call her Craigella, you'll hate how it gets pronounced
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a non-issue you can pronounce it any way you like.

If you want it as Creg then have it that way, you'll just have to tell people it's pronounced that way.

Just don't name him something like John Craig and then call him Craig that is a real pain for the child and especially later in life, I'm there doing that.

Last edited by Steve_P; Oct 17th 2008 at 7:04 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Or even John Thomas!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dinger24
Or even John Thomas!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a "mispronunciation". Its just a different pronunciation. Who is to say which one is correct?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

You think the Craig/Creg is bad?

My hubby is called Iain... most people here seem to want to call him either EYE-an or Lain......
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite annoying for people called "Greg" too, they become Craig.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

They pronounce it the same way here in America, and I get irritated every time I hear it too! For god's sake if you wanted to say it that way, then spell it Creg.........end of story

Another good name that has been mangled over this side of the ocean............
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Marmalade
They pronounce it the same way here in America, and I get irritated every time I hear it too! For god's sake if you wanted to say it that way, then spell it Creg.........end of story

Another good name that has been mangled over this side of the ocean............

Why do people get so angry over things like this?

It is a different pronunciation not mangled, not wrong just different.

No one ever said the UK way of saying things was an absolute.

Chill, there are much more important things in the world to get bent out of shape over.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Why do people get so angry over things like this?

It is a different pronunciation not mangled, not wrong just different.

No one ever said the UK way of saying things was an absolute.

Chill, there are much more important things in the world to get bent out of shape over.
We all have our opinions, you have yours, I have mine. And, nowhere in my answer to the OP did I say I was angry, only irritated...........lighten up chuck
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Marmalade
We all have our opinions, you have yours, I have mine. And, nowhere in my answer to the OP did I say I was angry, only irritated...........lighten up chuck
Irritated then, it implies your way is correct.

It isn't get used to it.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I think is polite to try to pronounce someone's name the way they would like it pronounced. You just need to tell people how to say your name....

It's not new for immigrants to have to learn that their names are now different.

My mum is still annoyed about the horrible way southerners pronounce our names, and the way they have to shorten everything.

Just think of those with "unpronounceable" names who end up being called Joe Singh or Ramjam becaused people will only think in their terms.

The reverse is true too. I am struggling to pronounce Dorothy the Canadian way, it's now Dawthy. Don and Dawn are homophones, as are Kerry and Carrie and Curry.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Oh thank the lord im right with you on this one!

Have just had to show your post to my husband as he knows how much it irritates the HELL out of me to have our son called 'Creg' instead of Craig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.