Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CRA tax review

CRA tax review

Old Jul 24th 2022, 7:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default CRA tax review

This year for the first time I filed my own taxes using Turbo Tax. Now I have a letter from them saying two parts are under review and they want all the evidence. Well fair enough but for one section I haven't a clue what it is. I can't find a way to actually see my tax filing on line. I can see the relevant section and the amount but I've no idea what it is or why I would have claimed it. I'm wondering if whatever it is is in the wrong line.
Any suggestions?

Old Jul 24th 2022, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CRA tax review

Originally Posted by bats
This year for the first time I filed my own taxes using Turbo Tax. Now I have a letter from them saying two parts are under review and they want all the evidence. Well fair enough but for one section I haven't a clue what it is. I can't find a way to actually see my tax filing on line. I can see the relevant section and the amount but I've no idea what it is or why I would have claimed it. I'm wondering if whatever it is is in the wrong line.
Any suggestions?
Have you tried logging in to myCRA? That should give you some detail. You choose a login partner, typically your bank, and the first time they have to send you a code but after that, it’s like accessing your bank account. You can see things like your Notice of Assessment - I don’t know if they’d include what you need but would think so.
Old Jul 24th 2022, 10:46 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Have you tried logging in to myCRA? That should give you some detail. You choose a login partner, typically your bank, and the first time they have to send you a code but after that, it’s like accessing your bank account. You can see things like your Notice of Assessment - I don’t know if they’d include what you need but would think so.
oh yes, that was the first thing i did. I really want to see the screen looking like the bits of paper! Turbo Tax doesn't help iy just shows the amount. I reckong the only way to see what went wrong is to do it again and not file it. Maybe then I can see where i made the mistake
Old Jul 24th 2022, 11:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

oh yes, that was the first thing i did. I really want to see the screen looking like the bits of paper! Turbo Tax doesn't help iy just shows the amount. I reckon the only way to see what went wrong is to do it again and not file it. Maybe then I can see where i made the mistake
That could work. You could also try a different one.

I switched from TurboTax to Wealthsimpletax (used to be simpletax) a few years ago.
Old Jul 25th 2022, 12:16 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That could work. You could also try a different one.

I switched from TurboTax to Wealthsimpletax (used to be simpletax) a few years ago.
well for now I need to find out where the error occurred. It's for around 20K ! ugh. Will you visit me in tax prison?

Old Jul 25th 2022, 1:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions?
I feel for you bats, the exact same thing has just happened with me (although I used a different online tax company in Oz)

I found this solution for Turbo Tax in Canada, and it's pretty much the same solution as I found to view my complete Oz tax return that they queried. I hope it helps a bit
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-sup...Ckvnu_US_en_US
Old Jul 25th 2022, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

oh yes, that was the first thing i did. I really want to see the screen looking like the bits of paper! Turbo Tax doesn't help iy just shows the amount. I reckong the only way to see what went wrong is to do it again and not file it. Maybe then I can see where i made the mistake
Sorry - just wanted to check on the obvious because it isn’t always! For the future, again apologies if you did, save a copy, before filing, on your computer. Would that give you what you need?
Old Jul 25th 2022, 7:16 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I feel for you bats, the exact same thing has just happened with me (although I used a different online tax company in Oz)

I found this solution for Turbo Tax in Canada, and it's pretty much the same solution as I found to view my complete Oz tax return that they queried. I hope it helps a bit
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-sup...Ckvnu_US_en_US
Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Sorry - just wanted to check on the obvious because it isn’t always! For the future, again apologies if you did, save a copy, before filing, on your computer. Would that give you what you need?
Well i eventually found it thanks to a combination of both your answers. I seems that I filled the form out wrongly, I have no idea why but a number was put in the wrong section. So I guess I will just tell them that, In the meantime I have to review all my medical claims. So far I have learned I used the wrong mileage amount, 2020 instead of 2021's and am missing a few miles. I knew i shouldn't do this myself but did I listen? nope
Old Jul 26th 2022, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for always saving the PDF of the tax return before submitting. Always useful to have.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 12:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
+1 for always saving the PDF of the tax return before submitting. Always useful to have.
I've also always printed the entire return and filed it away in the cabinet for easy reference the following year. Thank the heavens we no longer have to deal with CRA.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well i eventually found it thanks to a combination of both your answers. I seems that I filled the form out wrongly, I have no idea why but a number was put in the wrong section. So I guess I will just tell them that, In the meantime I have to review all my medical claims. So far I have learned I used the wrong mileage amount, 2020 instead of 2021's and am missing a few miles. I knew i shouldn't do this myself but did I listen? nope
Look at it as a learning process! It’s no bad thing to review finances each year and sounds like you made a simple error with the mileage amount - that’s one that’s easy for them to spot so don’t beat yourself up about it.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 1:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Before I was able to Netfile I saved and then printed. From Netfiling onwards I saved (as usual) and netfiled rather than printed.

Originally Posted by Rete
I've also always printed the entire return and filed it away in the cabinet for easy reference the following year.
Easy reference on your computer too.

If you're worried about "losing" it (computer crash or whatever) save it to google or gmail or cloud and so on.

I remember long ago (before the cloud) reading about people sending themselves copies of passports, insurance documents and so on using gmail (other accounts work too) and then accessing their email from anywhere to retrieve the details whenever needed.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Before I was able to Netfile I saved and then printed. From Netfiling onwards I saved (as usual) and netfiled rather than printed.

Easy reference on your computer too.

If you're worried about "losing" it (computer crash or whatever) save it to google or gmail or cloud and so on.

I remember long ago (before the cloud) reading about people sending themselves copies of passports, insurance documents and so on using gmail (other accounts work too) and then accessing their email from anywhere to retrieve the details whenever needed.
That’s all good advice.
Something else to bear in mind that I forgot to mention - CRA contacted me about three years ago about UK interest that I should have included on my tax form for a previous year - HMRC had notified them about it. I knew I had included it and contacted the person mentioned on my letter. It soon became clear that my limited knowledge was better than hers - but I had to FAX copies of the relevant pages to her to prove it, as she couldn’t access the information. Three things I took from that - the saved info is very worthwhile, it’s worthwhile speaking to a person if they have supplied details and finally, don’t assume they know better than you.