British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   CRA/CERB applications. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/cra-cerb-applications-932198/)

CRAY Apr 13th 2020 6:52 pm

CRA/CERB applications.

I'm looking to create an account with CRA in order to apply for the CERB.

Problem is that my address has changed recently, and upon trying to create an account it reads:
"If your mailing address changed, it is important that we have your new mailing address on file. You must contact us to give us your new address before you continue with this process."

However, any attempts to contact them via phone have met with failure over the last week or so. And money is starting to run low.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards
Cray

Siouxie Apr 14th 2020 3:34 am

Re: CRA/CERB applications.

Originally Posted by CRAY (Post 12838163)
I'm looking to create an account with CRA in order to apply for the CERB.

Problem is that my address has changed recently, and upon trying to create an account it reads:
"If your mailing address changed, it is important that we have your new mailing address on file. You must contact us to give us your new address before you continue with this process."

However, any attempts to contact them via phone have met with failure over the last week or so. And money is starting to run low.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards
Cray

If you are setting up a new Online CRA account your address won't have changed with them (but I suppose on any T4's it will have a different address).. have you tried signing in with a sign in partner instead? Do you need to apply through CRA or could you apply through Service Canada? https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...-with-cra.html
Otherwise, you could mail it in..
  1. Complete Form RC325 Address change request
  2. Mail the completed form to the address on the forms

CRAY Apr 14th 2020 4:31 pm

The reason I need an updated address I believe is because they actually mail you an access code which you need to access the account. I think it is true whether you do it via Service Canada or CRA, and the same is still the case if you sign in Using your bank details.

I was looking into the option of perhaps having my mail forwarded to my new address, but unfortunately in trying to create an account in CRA I kept getting error messages and have now been locked out from trying again.....with the only resolution being, of course......."To contact them"....of which there seems to be no way to do so at the moment.

sigh.....

DandNHill Apr 14th 2020 5:11 pm

You do need the access code to claim CERB. Check again...

CRAY Apr 14th 2020 6:25 pm

Thankyou both for the replies.

I was actually able to get through to an agent after around 3 hours on hold today. She was really helpful and basically everything was sorted, including address changes and direct deposit info in around 15 minutes.

It helped to have all my information to hand, Previous years tax returns etc, bank account information.

Useful to know you don't need the access code to access CERB DandnHill. I still needed to call to unlock my account however on this occasion.

Kind regards
Cray

DandNHill Apr 16th 2020 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by CRAY (Post 12838640)
Thankyou both for the replies.

I was actually able to get through to an agent after around 3 hours on hold today. She was really helpful and basically everything was sorted, including address changes and direct deposit info in around 15 minutes.

It helped to have all my information to hand, Previous years tax returns etc, bank account information.

Useful to know you don't need the access code to access CERB DandnHill. I still needed to call to unlock my account however on this occasion.

Kind regards
Cray

well my apologies. I meant you do not. But my brain goes faster than my typing and sometimes I miss words. Sorry about that 😬