Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CRA asked me for my UK income?

CRA asked me for my UK income?

Old Sep 10th 2014, 3:36 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CRA asked me for my UK income?

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Does your P45 stipulate dates for the UK Financial year? If not, I'd print off the relevant page from HMRC and send it along too. They, & you, ought then to be able to prorate the annual income for the relevant months.

You might need to fill out T2209 (foreign tax credits, if you paid UK taxes).

JonboyE is much more knowledgeable than I.

S
Yes I did pay UK taxes between January - April 2013. But I didn't declare that income on my tax return in Canada so will I still be eligible to get my taxes back from those months?
Old Sep 10th 2014, 4:50 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Does your P45 stipulate dates for the UK Financial year? If not, I'd print off the relevant page from HMRC and send it along too. They, & you, ought then to be able to prorate the annual income for the relevant months.

JonboyE is much more knowledgeable than I.

S
The T2209 is for income tax. Edo does not have a problem with income tax. Anything he earned and paid tax on in the UK prior to moving to Canada does not count for Canadian income tax purposes.

For the GST credit he does not need a P45. He just needs to tell the CRA what his gross income in the UK (converted to CAD) was from Jan 1 2013 to the day he moved to Canada. A reasonable estimate will be sufficient if he does not have pay slips to use.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry I meant figures from payslips - yes, indeed the tax years are different.

I have tax papers coming out of my ears right now and am clearly losing the plot (tax for both countries - for me and hubby, employed income, rental income, capital gains, losses, blah blah).

Just grateful that for this year it will be much easier.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:42 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The T2209 is for income tax. Edo does not have a problem with income tax. Anything he earned and paid tax on in the UK prior to moving to Canada does not count for Canadian income tax purposes.

For the GST credit he does not need a P45. He just needs to tell the CRA what his gross income in the UK (converted to CAD) was from Jan 1 2013 to the day he moved to Canada. A reasonable estimate will be sufficient if he does not have pay slips to use.
So can I just call them and give them the figures over the phone or will they ask for an official proof?
Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
So can I just call them and give them the figures over the phone or will they ask for an official proof?
It is better to write.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 12:00 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't be necessary if he put the correct arrival date on his T1, the CRA may be asking so they can pro-rate something on his T1 or see whether he is eligible or not eligible for something based on a tax treaty provision.

The important point is to make the dates on your T1 and your P85 match, because they do have access to your HMRC records under the tax treaty if they can be bothered.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 1:16 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_
Shouldn't be necessary if he put the correct arrival date on his T1, the CRA may be asking so they can pro-rate something on his T1 or see whether he is eligible or not eligible for something based on a tax treaty provision.

The important point is to make the dates on your T1 and your P85 match, because they do have access to your HMRC records under the tax treaty if they can be bothered.
Just out of interest how does CRA know if someone has come from a country that they have tax treaty provision with?
Old Sep 11th 2014, 1:28 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You may well have just hit on the reason why they're asking!

So they can have a look through your HMRC record.

Both the CRA and HMRC are actively trying to get as much tax information under various tax treaties as possible since the recession started, the CRA is on record saying that in front of a Parliamentary committee. Hence the never-ending changes to T1135 for example.

It's been mentioned on here before that when you claim CPP they send you a letter reminding you to get in touch with the DWP in the UK as well.