Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Covering Letter

Wikiposts

Covering Letter

Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Kimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud of
Default Covering Letter

I am in the process of trying to write a covering letter template for some jobs, with tweaks to be done depending on what the job requires.

But I have a few questions

1) How long should a covering letter be in terms of pages and content?
2) Since I do not have a TWP at the moment, how would you word the immigration status in that, need to get LMO etc?

I have looked at the wiki and I don't seem to be able to see the answers to the above questions.

Thanks in advance

Dave
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:00 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covering Letter

Originally Posted by Kimbie
But I have a few questions

1) How long should a covering letter be in terms of pages and content?
One page. Not too long either. To give you some idea of what I would do:

Paragraph one - why I am writing? (Max 2 sentences.)
Paragraph two - one reason why I have unique skills/am a perfect fit for the position advertised or the company if this is a speculative application. (Max 5 short sentences. Refer to resume.)
Paragraph three - 2nd reason why I have unique skills/am a perfect fit for the position advertised or the company if this is a speculative application. (Max 5 short sentences. Refer to resume)
Paragraph four - Wrap up and call to action. What are you going to do/what do you want them to do after they have read your resume.

Remember the purpose of these documents. The cover letter is to make the reader want to read your resume. The resume is to make the reader want to meet you in person.

2) Since I do not have a TWP at the moment, how would you word the immigration status in that, need to get LMO etc?
If an ad states "must be legally entitled to work in Canada" I would only bother applying if you are an exceptional candidate. Then you could add a sentence along the lines of you will be happy to explain the simple process to get a legal work permit. If you are making a speculative application I wouldn't mention it at all at this stage. Wait and see if they want you first.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Kimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
One page. Not too long either. To give you some idea of what I would do:

Paragraph one - why I am writing? (Max 2 sentences.)
Paragraph two - one reason why I have unique skills/am a perfect fit for the position advertised or the company if this is a speculative application. (Max 5 short sentences. Refer to resume.)
Paragraph three - 2nd reason why I have unique skills/am a perfect fit for the position advertised or the company if this is a speculative application. (Max 5 short sentences. Refer to resume)
Paragraph four - Wrap up and call to action. What are you going to do/what do you want them to do after they have read your resume.

Remember the purpose of these documents. The cover letter is to make the reader want to read your resume. The resume is to make the reader want to meet you in person.

If an ad states "must be legally entitled to work in Canada" I would only bother applying if you are an exceptional candidate. Then you could add a sentence along the lines of you will be happy to explain the simple process to get a legal work permit. If you are making a speculative application I wouldn't mention it at all at this stage. Wait and see if they want you first.
JonboyE,

Thanks for replying.

First of the PDF does not make any mention of needing to be a "legally entitled to work in Canada"

So far I have the following:

My Address

Date

Their Address

Ref: Job Title

Para1 - I'm writing to apply etc

Para2 - Having looked at the core requirements here is a list of how i meet them [Much like on the covering letter on the wiki]

Para4 - Is what I am struggling with now, how to close the covering letter

Thanks

Dave
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

There are examples for free try googling it!
as in "Free cover letter examples"
Obviously I am Scottish so I use "free" quite a lot!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinger24
There are examples for free try googling it!
as in "Free cover letter examples"
Obviously I am Scottish so I use "free" quite a lot!
I have done the old google, but they all seem to be a bit different in terms what to write.

But thanks for the suggestion

Dave
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Well just remember that its not a life story! Keep it short stumpy!
Any more than a page usually ends up in the bin! Also no one whats to read loads of jargon about TWP and CIC and the List as they wont know what your on about. If you feel you need to mention about immigration then just say you have everything in hand and can easily explain or can point them in the right direction! type thing.
If it sounds like more work for the person reading it then it will be filled in the bin!
Telephone is always a good start ie phone first!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:41 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kimbie
JonboyE,

Thanks for replying.

First of the PDF does not make any mention of needing to be a "legally entitled to work in Canada"

So far I have the following:

My Address

Date

Their Address

Ref: Job Title

Para1 - I'm writing to apply etc

Para2 - Having looked at the core requirements here is a list of how i meet them [Much like on the covering letter on the wiki]

Para4 - Is what I am struggling with now, how to close the covering letter

Thanks

Dave

You are going to find it really hard applying for a job by letter, without a WP and hoping the employer will do the paperwork. The only likley circumstances this would happen would be if you skills are so unique that you are a must have.

An employer has to hire a Canadian or PR first and only if they cannot find any suitable should apply for an LMO.

If any jobs ads state 'must be legally entitled to work in Canada' , don't waste your time. When we do this, any that come in go strait in the shredder or trash can.

Best bet would be to come over and try and meet up with some people. Expect to get a 1 - 2% response rate to written applications.

Cover letter 1 page.
Status - You need to secure a WP (employer has to get the LMO). If they can hire locally they will.

Don't state the obvious, of course you looked at it and they can see it is a list. This is just duplication of what you are going to put in your resume.

The employer can see from the resume whehter your skills match their requirements or not, they don't need to be told this.

Cover letter should not repeat what is in the resume. It is about getting the reader to view your resume and not throw it in the bin.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 1st 2010 at 9:45 am.