Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cover Letter as Skilled Worker--Any ideas??

Cover Letter as Skilled Worker--Any ideas??

Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

z030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to behold
Red face Cover Letter as Skilled Worker--Any ideas??

Does anyone have any ideas of what to include in the cover letter to immigration? I've kinda done the basics, e.g., what I've included and stuff and anything that I couldn't get hold of, but I was wondering if it's a good idea to have some degree of subjectivity in it????

I'm just thinking that I want it to be professional so I don't really wanna make it all flowery and stuff but was just thinking something along the lines of:
I wanna move to Canada because blah blah blah.... I dunno.....

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: Cover Letter as Skilled Worker--Any ideas??

I don't know if I have mised anything but I did not see anything looking through the application forms above a cover letter. I thought you just fill in the forms, send the required photos and cheque and then it starts or not.

Where does it say or is it something that you feel you want to do ?

JET
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

z030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to behold

Hey,

No, you're right, it doesn't mention anything about sending a cover letter but apparently quite a lot of people do it, especially when going through a lawyer. Also, in the 90 day letter, it reads: "... This page should be placed on top of your documents with any cover letter..."........ soooo, I'm just thinking that it may be a good idea to enclose one; I mean, I'm kinda guessing that it ain't gunna do any harm... so yeah, that's what I'm thinking anyways

Last edited by z030209; Dec 15th 2008 at 11:58 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Fair point

I will consider it myself when they ask for the rest of the details. They only want forms and money at start for Category 1 to Sydney NS.

Thanks

JET
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by z030209
Does anyone have any ideas of what to include in the cover letter to immigration? I've kinda done the basics, e.g., what I've included and stuff and anything that I couldn't get hold of, but I was wondering if it's a good idea to have some degree of subjectivity in it????

I'm just thinking that I want it to be professional so I don't really wanna make it all flowery and stuff but was just thinking something along the lines of:
I wanna move to Canada because blah blah blah.... I dunno.....

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks
Hi

I'm assuming you mean a "Cover letter" to go with your application?

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find enclosed our application for the "Skilled Worker" program, together with our cheque for £ XXXXXX

We look forward to hearing from in due course.

XXXXXX

I'm sure they've had that many by now at CHC, they'll get the gist of what your're trying say

Y
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Heyyy,

Thanks Yogi.........

I've done the basics of the letter, i.e., something along the lines of what you've said BUT, I was wondering if you reckon it might be an idea to be subjective, that's all?

For example, is it worth me mentioning why I wanna move to Canada and what my plans are, etc??? (just to make it stronger cos I know the IO's do use a lot of their discretion!):s One minute I think it's a good idea to do it and the next, I think that they're not even gunna look at it cos they won't get the time, so whatever, but I dunno for sure and so I guess that I'd rather have something in there, than not... hmm, I guess I've just answered my own question! lol

Okay, nevermind.. thanks guys!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

and you're welcome JET! Good luck.....
Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Here is mine, which worked. Please don't laugh and mind that I'm not native speaker:

Application for Permanent Residence

Dear Immigration Officer,

Please find here my Application for Permanent Residence in Canada, in the Federal Skilled Worker class. I would like to find a new home for my family, bringing to Canada my experience, motivation and desire to build my life in the country where immigration :curse:, diversity and multiculturalism play an important role. I hope that my educational background and decade-long international experience can prove being useful not only to European, but to Canadian companies too, and will also help me to go through the selection process.

Important notes for my application package:

1. I can communicate in French, though my knowledge is very limited. ..skip.... Therefore, I marked "Can communicate" in IMM 0008 as a general information, but "Proficiency - None" in Schedule 3 as I cannot provide a documented evidence. I do understand that now I do not receive any points for French.

2. Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to provide a reference letter from my current employer. The immigration process is long, and asking for a detailed letter can be considered as an intent to leave, which can affect my relation with the employer. Instead of reference letter, I provide copies of the employment contract and the latest pay stub.

3. University transcripts for both my wife an me are issued by the same university and are in one envelope.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Now asking myself: WAS IT ME WHO WROTE ALL THAT B.S. ????

Note: please delete emoticons when copying.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awww, thanks settlers, it looks good!! haha, okay, seriously, that does help me, so thanks a lot.

I ain't laughing at the letter *snigger* (and I've taken out the emoticons too )

Thanks
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

We didn't bother, just sent the forms and the dosh. Job done
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh darnit!!

Okayyy.... urgh lol

Thanks
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Heyyy,

Thanks Yogi.........

I've done the basics of the letter, i.e., something along the lines of what you've said BUT, I was wondering if you reckon it might be an idea to be subjective, that's all?

For example, is it worth me mentioning why I wanna move to Canada and what my plans are, etc??? (just to make it stronger cos I know the IO's do use a lot of their discretion!):s One minute I think it's a good idea to do it and the next, I think that they're not even gunna look at it cos they won't get the time, so whatever, but I dunno for sure and so I guess that I'd rather have something in there, than not... hmm, I guess I've just answered my own question! lol

Okay, nevermind.. thanks guys!
Hi,

We sent ours all in a binded folder, with a cover letter first informing them of our intent, then a contents page just outlining what was enclosed in the folder through the different sections etc...

It was accepted, so I guess it was fine.

I've found where the CHC are concerned, I've never heard of an application being sent back because of TOO much information!

So, as you say, it can't hurt to enclose as much as possible. At least that way, it has a better than average chance of being accepted.

Hope this helps - best of luck

Y

Last edited by Yogi-Bear; Dec 16th 2008 at 6:31 pm. Reason: spelling mistake :)
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aww, yeah, thanks......

Haha, yeah, I've got my folder, it's HUGE!! I've got all my documents in the plastic cover sheet thingy's (whatever they're called) and it's fairly organised, like I have sections as well so yeah, pretty similar to what you did.

Let's just hope that the information I have is enough. Although I think I've overdone it but, like you said, you've never heard of anyone getting done for providing too much info eh? lol

Thanks dude!

Am just waiting for a couple of more documents and then I'm gunna get my family to scrutinise it a couple of more times to ensure I have everything I need and then come mid Jan '09, I'm gunna kiss it goodbyeeee!! Aaaaaaaahhh!!

Fingers crossed
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aww, yeah, thanks......

Haha, yeah, I've got my folder, it's HUGE!! I've got all my documents in the plastic cover sheet thingy's (whatever they're called) and it's fairly organised, like I have sections as well so yeah, pretty similar to what you did.

Let's just hope that the information I have is enough. Although I think I've overdone it but, like you said, you've never heard of anyone getting done for providing too much info eh? lol

Thanks dude!

Am just waiting for a couple of more documents and then I'm gunna get my family to scrutinise it a couple of more times to ensure I have everything I need and then come mid Jan '09, I'm gunna kiss it goodbyeeee!! Aaaaaaaahhh!!

Fingers crossed
Glad it helped matey. just out of interest I notice you applied Skilled route in Oct 06 - we did too.

We were advised to go TWP to speed things up. We did this, although I think we were ill advised as according to so many on BE, they've all filed their 90 day update.

We haven't received ours, and I'm assuming that's because at London CIC we're down as TWP and they're waiting for us to land, and then update them at London - I'm assuming all this of course

Glad you got your folder sorted we sectioned it all too

Hope all goes well

Y