Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Courteous driving in Canada?

Courteous driving in Canada?

Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:21 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Courteous driving in Canada?

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I think the police will have a different opinion.

It is still perfectly legal to go straight ahead from that left hand lane is it not? All you need is one guy that is going straight ahead to do just that when you are making your left turn and he t-bones you.

Who is in the wrong?
As an observant driver, I would not set off at the exact moment as the driver next to me - in any case, I would never just turn left without making sure the driver to my left was not still in the way.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Here's something for you...

On my regular commute, there is a 3 way stop. (A left turn and a straight ahead).

Each of those 3 roads has 2 lanes in each direction. No lanes are marked as being straight on only, or left turn only - there are no directional markings at all, it's just a plain old 3 way stop with 2 lanes in each direction.

The vast majority of the traffic wants to make the left turn, and accordingly the left-hand lane is always backed up quite a way. All these people (correctly) make the turn into the outside lane of the left-hand road, while I (equally correctly) simply zoom up the right hand lane, and make the turn into the right-hand lane.

People have honked their horns at me for this, but I am certain that I am not in the wrong.

So, BE Traffic Police... what do you reckon?

Actually, I am so fed up at work today that I have sketched it out for you... the sheep are all in the left hand lane, while your hero Jings is in the empty right hand one.
Seems fair enough to me. What if someone in the left lane happened to be going straight on - any collision would be your fault?
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:23 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I reckon you are disobeying the spirit of the law if not actually the law itself. More pertinently, don't the people facing you on the 3 way stop, expect you to carry on straightahead rather than turn left in front of them? Given the standard of Canadian driving (or the impression one gets of it from reading this thread) I'm amazed you've survived this long.
95% of the traffic is as I've sketched. In the rare event that a car is approaching into the junction from another direction, I simply do what any good driver would - wait.

I also indicate - I don't try to hide where I'm planning to go.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:25 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

As an observant driver, I would not set off at the exact moment as the driver next to me - in any case, I would never just turn left without making sure the driver to my left was not still in the way.
If you're so bored this morning phone the police traffic division and ask them you could send them your drawing to.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:27 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If you're so bored this morning phone the police traffic division and ask them you could send them your drawing to.
Apologies if I've distracted you from your important work on here.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:33 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Odd, its not been a feature of my life in rural canada, and I live next to a big river and have to deal with inpenetrable fog virtually every bloody morning for 4 month of the year. You just drive slow, r e a l l y s l o w l y until you can see farther.

Being late due to weather is perhaps part of life in rural canada, you probably disagree, but I'd rather get there without incident.
I am often amazed by the reckless driving we see in either dense fog which is super rare here or pelting rain or heavy snow - if I can`t see 5 feet in front of me, how can anyone else? I even ask the passengers in the car with me how far ahead they can see in case it`s my eyes, it`s not my eyes.

On a side note, this past weekend a man was killed whilst crossing the road in a local one horse town, my OH told me the police were not going to set charges as the driver couldn`t see because the sun was in his eyes. I personally think this is disgraceful, a man has been killed and one can only assume that the driver was going to fast for the conditions.

http://www.albertalocalnews.com/redd...103860314.html
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

TO follow on from Piff Poff's amazement....

I am frequently surprised, still, by the number of people killed here each year who are not wearing seatbelts. Having grown up in the 'clunk click on every trip' era, wearing a seatbelt is automatic and I would feel naked as it were without one. Yet here, people, both young and old, don't wear seatbelts and accidents that would be survivable if you were wearing a seatbelt, turn into 'being catapulted out of the car and killed' ones.

What Newfoundland's drivers need is Jimmy Saville. Clearly.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
On a side note, this past weekend a man was killed whilst crossing the road in a local one horse town, my OH told me the police were not going to set charges as the driver couldn`t see because the sun was in his eyes.
That seems to be a common excuse. When I had the collision with the rebar, the attending officer wrote my statement to say that I was blinded by the sun. It was a cloudy day but, as he pointed out, the insurance company wouldn't know that.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So, BE Traffic Police... what do you reckon?
In ontario you are in the wrong.

"Diagram 2-27: Two-way road to a two-way road.

Turn from the lane closest to the centre line to the lane right of the centre line, following a smooth arc. Then, when you can, move into the right curb lane."

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ion2.6.4.shtml

Legal or not it seems pretty risky to me.

Loving the sketch though, hope your day gets busier!

Edit. Wrong in alberta too:
"When turning from a two-way road onto another two-way road, drive to the right side of and as close as practical to the centre line. Turn the vehicle left at the intersection. Complete the turn by driving to the right side of the centre line of the road you entered."
Sorry mate... Now, whether whats in the drivers guide is driven by the law and vice versa is another point of debate...

Last edited by iaink; Sep 29th 2010 at 4:49 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:45 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

TO follow on from Piff Poff's amazement....

I am frequently surprised, still, by the number of people killed here each year who are not wearing seatbelts. Having grown up in the 'clunk click on every trip' era, wearing a seatbelt is automatic and I would feel naked as it were without one. Yet here, people, both young and old, don't wear seatbelts and accidents that would be survivable if you were wearing a seatbelt, turn into 'being catapulted out of the car and killed' ones.

What Newfoundland's drivers need is Jimmy Saville. Clearly.
I too clunk click every trip, no matter how short a trip I am making, my husband on the other hand would rather be catapulted through the windshield in the event of a collision - at least for the 1st 30 mins of a trip

Originally Posted by dbd33
That seems to be a common excuse. When I had the collision with the rebar, the attending officer wrote my statement to say that I was blinded by the sun. It was a cloudy day but, as he pointed out, the insurance company wouldn't know that.
But a man died - it`s horrendous that the driver got let off so lightly IMHO.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I too clunk click every trip, no matter how short a trip I am making, my husband on the other hand would rather be catapulted through the windshield in the event of a collision - at least for the 1st 30 mins of a trip
Please tell him to stop that - two of my family have been involved in accidents just down the street from home. My son slid off the road (ice) into a neighbours tree a couple years back and just last week I got that scary 4am call - my daughter was a passenger in a roll over literally around the corner from her boyfriends house. Thankfully they were all belted!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Like most drivers I don't stay within the speed limits 100% of the time neither do I drive at double the speed limit all the time. I've never received a speeding ticket in 25 years of driving, without the aid of a radar gun detector.

I know of people here who have been ticketed for doing 5kmh over the speed limit. That seems quite unreasonable to me. A radar detector might help in circumstances where the police are being over zealous. That said I doubt very much I would ever bother getting one. My opinion might change if I'm lucky enough to attract the attention of the police for doing +5kmh.
In the UK you can get such devices and they are not illegal (though I believe jammers are). If I recall, statistically those who use them have less accidents than those that don't (can't cite a reference, but I remember reading about it a few years back).

My view is that whilst speeding is illegal, exceeding them is pretty much universal. Laws that everybody breaks are shit laws. In fact laws that everybody breaks and where the punishment is a fine are just a way of generating extra taxes in disguise.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:37 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
My view is that whilst speeding is illegal, exceeding them is pretty much universal. Laws that everybody breaks are shit laws. In fact laws that everybody breaks and where the punishment is a fine are just a way of generating extra taxes in disguise.
The problem with speeding law enforcement is taking into account conditions. The old adage of 120 km/h on a clear road/good weather being OK but in a rainstorm not being safe. How do you frame and enforce a law that only applies when conditions do not permit that speed?

In the UK, the obsession with Gatso camera's has taken what can be an effective deterent/control device and turned it into a generator of taxation revenues. No-one would object to a Gatso outside a school (although I've yet to find one in such a situation), but many people object to having them on A roads or Motorways. 'Flexible Enforcement' requires the human intervention of a traffic cop deciding whether the speeding driving is unsafe or not. Of course, laws don't provide this flexibility so the traffic cop has no option but to default to 'you drove to fast, so I am fining you'.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Calgal
Please tell him to stop that - two of my family have been involved in accidents just down the street from home. My son slid off the road (ice) into a neighbours tree a couple years back and just last week I got that scary 4am call - my daughter was a passenger in a roll over literally around the corner from her boyfriends house. Thankfully they were all belted!
You know when you put your fingers in your ears and stick your tongue out and go lalalalalala I'm not listening, well that could be my OH on that subject, the same as when I ask if he is taking his blood pressure pills or that maybe he should see the doctor about his very persistant cough that he has had for probably three years now.

If only he realised how much stress just those three things give me. I have told him not to expect me to look after him when he is a big drooling mess on the couch as that is not what I signed up for, yeah fine if he does everything to prevent the drooling mess but not if he ignores stuff.:curse:
Old Sep 29th 2010, 6:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with speeding law enforcement is taking into account conditions. The old adage of 120 km/h on a clear road/good weather being OK but in a rainstorm not being safe. How do you frame and enforce a law that only applies when conditions do not permit that speed?

In the UK, the obsession with Gatso camera's has taken what can be an effective deterent/control device and turned it into a generator of taxation revenues. No-one would object to a Gatso outside a school (although I've yet to find one in such a situation), but many people object to having them on A roads or Motorways. 'Flexible Enforcement' requires the human intervention of a traffic cop deciding whether the speeding driving is unsafe or not. Of course, laws don't provide this flexibility so the traffic cop has no option but to default to 'you drove to fast, so I am fining you'.
Here in BC they've just put in a new rule that is an instant one week ban if you are "excessively" speeding, this is 40kph above the speed limit (whatever the conditions, or the actual speed limit, so 90 in a 50 is the same as 150 on a 110 highway) . The law of unintended consequences means that now everybody just drives at 30kph above the speed limit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.