Reload this Page >

Counsellor/psychotherapist moving to Canada

Counsellor/psychotherapist moving to Canada

Old Jan 14th 2019, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Maeta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Counsellor/psychotherapist moving to Canada

Hi there,

Would really appreciate some advice on how difficult it is to find work as a counsellor/psychotherapist in Canada and how English qualifications/registrations transfer. I am recently qualified as a psychotherapist in the UK and currently studying for my Masters which will be complete in the summer. I know there are different cultures around the profession and the value/prevalence of psychologists as opposed to counsellors/psychotherapists. My partner is an engineer and looking at relocating through his company so he will be fine- but I am concerned about finding work as a counsellor and keen not to set my career back for too long in relocating for a few years. It isn't easy by any means to find counselling jobs in the UK but I have done really well in being offered numerous paid counselling jobs since qualifying last summer.
Any information about the prevalence/qualification requirements of counselling jobs/ how private practice fares out there would be great and if anyone is or knows of a counsellor working over there and can get in touch that would be AMAZING!
Thanks lovely people,

Maeta
Old Jan 14th 2019, 8:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Counsellor/psychotherapist moving to Canada

Google produces this, which might be of interest? https://www.ccpa-accp.ca/profession/ As with many things in Canada, it's less about the "Canadian" view of qualifications, licencing etc than the requirements of whatever body in the province you plan to live in. Where would you be going with your partner if he relocates?
Old Jan 17th 2019, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Maeta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Counsellor/psychotherapist moving to Canada

Thanks so much- yeah this was my understanding- we're looking at maybe Calgary. It seems Alberta has a less established Counselling/Psychotherapy governing body than other provinces but one in the pipeline! Any counsellors out there in Alberta??
Thanks so much