Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Could you compare these areas to parts of UK?

Could you compare these areas to parts of UK?

Old Apr 12th 2018, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

seascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Could you compare these areas to parts of UK?

Originally Posted by vh3
I am originally from the highlands and have lived in Canada since 1996. We have spent 10 years in Calgary and then split the rest of the time between Vancouver Island and Vancouver. For retirement, we looked at Kingston (which I loved) and would have been happy there but.. we are now deciding that home is calling and will move back to Scotland in 2020. Kingston is very traditional with a Scottish background. Great places to eat

The Island is nice but it is not for everyone and you may find it isolating. It is also expensive to go anywhere as you have to take the ferry or plan.
Wow, I think I may have to DM you if that’s ok!
Old Apr 12th 2018, 3:25 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I think I may have to DM you if that’s ok!

Feel free, happy to help if I can.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 11:24 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

The area around me is fairly reminiscent of Scotland (think lochs). The graveyards contain many headstones with Scottish names on them. Lots of red hair around too, so Quebec might not be as French as it thinks.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

David_ns is an unknown quantity at this point

NS is beautiful but if you wish to work here there isn't much other than health care and retail.
There is still more prejudice about foreign workers than people will admit.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 6:40 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David_ns
NS is beautiful but if you wish to work here there isn't much other than health care and retail.
There is still more prejudice about foreign workers than people will admit.
I have a different experience, whereabouts are you?
Old Apr 16th 2018, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

I live in Truro, been here for several years. Originally had a position, managerial & technical until company closed it down. More recently myself & another had problems with another companies new manager re. "Foreign workers".
Old Apr 16th 2018, 7:25 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Truro, been here for several years. Originally had a position, managerial & technical until company closed it down. More recently myself & another had problems with another companies new manager re. "Foreign workers".
Thats too bad. I havent heard that at all in the 7 years I have been here, in Halifax, surroundings areas, Truro or the corridor. I would say that you have just met a douchebag.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived in NS and Ontario I would say that there is more snow in NS in winter but it's not as cold.

First winter in Ontario was -40 with wind chill for the whole of February. Never experienced that in NS.

In the same way that it doesn't get as hot in NS in the summer. So other than the extra helpings of snow I think the weather is nicer in NS.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:51 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by DandNHill

First winter in Ontario was -40 with wind chill for the whole of February.
Omg!
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:56 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I've been trying to think of an area of the UK that reminds me of Vancouver Island. We have the warm summers of the south coast, the rain of the North West, the winters of the South West and the Autumn of the Home Counties. With half the rainfall of Vancouver itself, I think there is a misconception it is always raining (although you wouldn't say that today). I think I would equate the populated bit of the Island (southern bit) to Hampshire or Surrey, but without the density of people.

The downsides I can see are the isolation of requiring a ferry or a plane to get off the Island, the price of housing (although again - it's all relative) and distance from Europe (if relevant). Th proximity of the sea and the balmy summer evenings remind me very much of my youthful sailing a la Swallows and Amazons in the sea and estuaries around Southampton, the Isle of Wight and the Solent.

When we "emigrated" from Lancashire to Hampshire I couldn't believe my luck!
Old Apr 17th 2018, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Omg!
It was beautiful. The air was full of little sparkles.
Wrapped up it was fine. I bought a coat from Marks when we first moved to Canada and it was the best purchase I ever made.
This winter when we had crazy temperatures I was so snuggly!!
Old Apr 17th 2018, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

It is odd that. I have not been that impressed with the technical knowledge or efficiency of most (not all, I hasten to add) of the people I have worked with. I have been even less impressed by the capabilities of managers, and I worked with some of the crappest managers I could imagine in the UK. I wonder what makes that manager of yours think Canadians, or should we say Nova Scotians, are better workers than the foreigners.

I live in Halifax and have had no real problem: in my line of work, my UK experience has been sought after. That being said, some of the clients are a bit weird when they learn I am not Canadian.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 3:24 am
Just Joined

My main profession & qualifications were not a problem when I first moved here, however I still came across some animosity.
Unfortunately the company I worked for changed some of it's business. Since then my only opportunities have been in other parts of the country, some short term contracts which I took but as for moving again, it is not something I can do in the foreseeable future.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

To all... came to Canada around 14 years ago from UK. Lived in various places in NB to begin with...life is slow and those with any intelligence exploit their neighbours ruthlessly! NB is ruled by two families, the McCain and the Irving!

Lived in Winnipeg MB for a while...overrun by indigenous persons...drugs and drinking chemicals!

Lived in Fort McMurray AB for a while...only two things missing...guns and horses...it's a wild west town with pick up trucks! Unless your job involves passing through a security check each day ya arrive to work (that is where the sky high wages are) than don't bother!
The oil fields burn off crap through their chimney's and when there is no breeze/wind...the breathable air in that town is literally blue in colour and it feels like ya breathing in air from the exhaust of an oil burning engine in a car!

Now for Edmonton...a total dump...the city tries to play catch up with it's neighbour Calgary.
Edmonton spends money on plans/projects that never get completed properly. Property tax payers fund lunatic projects for the down and outs.
There is a total disregard for rules and safety by the population here. They never take responsibility for their own actions.
Politicians are so worried about getting re-elected...none have any backbone and are ruled by the idiot car driving public, these idiot drivers never look any further ahead than the hood of their car. When it snows six months of the year they all drive like they have never seen snow before and they think that because they have winter tyres on their car...they can still drive at summer speeds! lol
Old Apr 18th 2018, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
To all... came to Canada around 14 years ago from UK. Lived in various places in NB to begin with...life is slow and those with any intelligence exploit their neighbours ruthlessly! NB is ruled by two families, the McCain and the Irving!

Lived in Winnipeg MB for a while...overrun by indigenous persons...drugs and drinking chemicals!

Lived in Fort McMurray AB for a while...only two things missing...guns and horses...it's a wild west town with pick up trucks! Unless your job involves passing through a security check each day ya arrive to work (that is where the sky high wages are) than don't bother!
The oil fields burn off crap through their chimney's and when there is no breeze/wind...the breathable air in that town is literally blue in colour and it feels like ya breathing in air from the exhaust of an oil burning engine in a car!

Now for Edmonton...a total dump...the city tries to play catch up with it's neighbour Calgary.
Edmonton spends money on plans/projects that never get completed properly. Property tax payers fund lunatic projects for the down and outs.
There is a total disregard for rules and safety by the population here. They never take responsibility for their own actions.
Politicians are so worried about getting re-elected...none have any backbone and are ruled by the idiot car driving public, these idiot drivers never look any further ahead than the hood of their car. When it snows six months of the year they all drive like they have never seen snow before and they think that because they have winter tyres on their car...they can still drive at summer speeds! lol

I get the impression that you haven't enjoyed living in any of the places you've been in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.