Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Could their be a stigma in having the name Louis?

Could their be a stigma in having the name Louis?

Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Could their be a stigma in having the name Louis?

Originally Posted by nooka
Louis is a great name. I don't think there is a huge problem if people ask is that "Lewis" or "Louis". People ask me how to both spell and pronounce my name (it is unusual). It's no biggie, and I love my name. Louie on the other hand seems like a bit of a baby name to me, but then I hate shortenings given as proper names, so that could just be me..
duh, am confused. Louis is pronounced Louie, so that's not really a shortening.
Lewis is Lewis.

Different names really.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

If andyg puts Louie on his son's birth certificate, then he has been given a diminutive not a proper name (In my opinion). In this particular case it wouldn't affect the verbal, just the written form.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nooka
If andyg puts Louie on his son's birth certificate, then he has been given a diminutive not a proper name (In my opinion). In this particular case it wouldn't affect the verbal, just the written form.
Ah, I see what you mean now.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:11 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

strange as it seems, i hated it when i was younger, but its grown on me now.
i could drop it if i'd wanted, but hey there it is.
and to be named after the great Satchmo.

go for it...

btw, very few people i have met know its french, and most miss pronounce.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:17 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I always liked the name "Adolf" myself. But it hasnt been very popular for the last 50, 60 years or so....

Yes, this is clearly the most ridiculous thread Ive seen here (well, one of them)

Last edited by iaink; Nov 26th 2008 at 8:18 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:58 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

If the parents of Huey Lewis and the News had called him Huey Louis and the News, he would never have become the Colossus of Soft Rock that he is.

Probably.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyg
Thanks, did some people pronounce your dads name as "Lewis"? as we figured it could drive a person mad allways correcting people, we will probably spell it "Louie".
Not that I can recall, but then he was always known as Lou.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
If the parents of Huey Lewis and the News had called him Huey Louis and the News, he would never have become the Colossus of Soft Rock that he is.

Probably.
LOL. Huey Louis. now that would have been very unkind!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:47 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Huey, Louis and Dewey. Not a good combination
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In English speaking North America the name Louis is pronounced with an "s" c/f St Louis, Missouri.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In English speaking North America the name Louis is pronounced with an "s" c/f St Louis, Missouri.
No, would never have guessed that from the previous posts
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:18 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Originally Posted by fledermaus
No, would never have guessed that from the previous posts
So how come the song goes "Meet me in St Louie, Louie"?

Written St. Louis, Louis.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4JARDvdrAxk
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:52 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
I always liked the name "Adolf" myself. But it hasnt been very popular for the last 50, 60 years or so....

Yes, this is clearly the most ridiculous thread Ive seen here (well, one of them)
Very true!!! Although there are lots!

Adolf isnt half bad but not a scratch on Genghis or Agamemnon - thats what Id name the little nipper! Actually how about Adolf Louis Genghis Lewis Agamemnon? Got a nice ring to it!!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Very true!!! Although there are lots!

Adolf isnt half bad but not a scratch on Genghis or Agamemnon - thats what Id name the little nipper! Actually how about Adolf Louis Genghis Lewis Agamemnon? Got a nice ring to it!!
One hospital I worked at had a porter called Jesus...Imagine the looks you get when you call out "Jesus, this patient is ready for you".....
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

My friends hubby is called Adolf? He's Lebanese, so not sure how he got that name.

I worked with a Luis and that was pronouced Lewis, and he was spanish.

I have a very difficult name, and only since moving here, have people said what a pretty / cute / nice name it is. In the UK, I just was looked at as if I was purple and had many heads....

It's an Irish name and I was born in Montreal, can't ever recall any issues, but then again I left when I was 5!!!

I thnk Louis is a lovely name, and congrats!

bx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.