Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Could their be a stigma in having the name Louis?

Could their be a stigma in having the name Louis?

Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

andyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the rough
Default Could their be a stigma in having the name Louis?

Hi All

My wife gave birth to a baby boy yesterday and we are thinking of calling him "Louis", would the fact that this has a French connotation be a problem living in Toronto?, i got the impression that the French were not regarded very well by some people in Canada.

Am i being ridiculous?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Could their be a stigma in having the name Louis?

Yes....Go home and get some sleep....!!!

Just kidding - Congratulations!! I can't imagine there would be any issue but then I don't live in Toronto....I think it is a lovely name!

Hope all goes well
Lisa
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:21 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andyg
Hi All

My wife gave birth to a baby boy yesterday and we are thinking of calling him "Louis", would the fact that this has a French connotation be a problem living in Toronto?, i got the impression that the French were not regarded very well by some people in Canada.

Am i being ridiculous?
a) Congratulations

b) Yes, you're being ridiculous
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Am i being ridiculous?
Yes
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Conrats to you both!
Louis was my Dad's name. He was called Lou by everyone.
He didn't live in Toronto, so can't comment there, but it is a great name and if you both like it, then that should be his name.

Rob.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats......call him Lewis instead
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

andyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, did some people pronounce your dads name as "Lewis"? as we figured it could drive a person mad allways correcting people, we will probably spell it "Louie".
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to say Congratulation

I lived in Toronto for years and I never heard anyone mention the French in positive or negative terms.

(My son is called Lars do you think he'll be picked on by people who hate Metallica?)
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, did some people pronounce your dads name as "Lewis"? as we figured it could drive a person mad allways correcting people, we will probably spell it "Louie".
Don't spell it Louie, that's nowhere near as classy as Louis! Picture it on the top of a CV in 30 years time or on a wedding invitation................ I can't imagine that anybody would pronounce Louis as Lewis unless they are either quite stupid or have never heard of Louis Armstrong, Louis Vuitton, Louis Pasteur, Robert Louis Stevenson, etc, etc!! I would imagine that Louie would give him far more cause to correct people - you'd be subjecting him to a lifetime of having to spell his name to people who would assume it's spelt Louis.

Huge congratulations on the birth of your son, hope mother and baby are doing well.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 26th 2008 at 3:43 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone, i`ts confirmed to me their would be no problem with the name, just for the record i believe Louis Armstrong pronounced his name as Lewis, so still considering "Louie".
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, i`ts confirmed to me their would be no problem with the name, just for the record i believe Louis Armstrong pronounced his name as Lewis, so still considering "Louie".

Congratulations to you all
My dad was also a Louis but pronounced Lewis
think it's a great name, lots of character
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

just for the record i believe Louis Armstrong pronounced his name as Lewis, so still considering "Louie".
Ok, anorak alert................on most of his songs he pronounces it Loo-ee. There are several songs on which he says his own name and on all of them he pronounces it that way, except the album soundtrack for 'Hello Dolly' (where he pronounces it Loo-iss but which was apparently a bit of a p**s take of the people that pronounced it wrong). There are also recordings of his wife, Lucille Armstrong, saying his name and she always pronounced it Loo-ee too.

Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Louis is a great name. I don't think there is a huge problem if people ask is that "Lewis" or "Louis". People ask me how to both spell and pronounce my name (it is unusual). It's no biggie, and I love my name. Louie on the other hand seems like a bit of a baby name to me, but then I hate shortenings given as proper names, so that could just be me..
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

bluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nice

Louis is a lovely name, in fact I wanted it for our little boy but "I wasn't allowed!"

Spell it with an "s". Far nicer than with an "e".

congratulations to you both
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:02 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Many Congratulations on the birth of your son

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.