Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Could Civil Servants transfer jobs to canada

Could Civil Servants transfer jobs to canada

Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:23 am
G & S NI

Grahamc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could Civil Servants transfer jobs to canada

Was wondering if it is possible for anyone working in the Northern Ireland Civil Service to transfer to the Civil Service in Canada or another government body??
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:58 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could Civil Servants transfer jobs to canada

Unlikely. You generally have to be a Canadian citizen to work for the Federal Govt.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grahamc
Was wondering if it is possible for anyone working in the Northern Ireland Civil Service to transfer to the Civil Service in Canada or another government body??

It used to be possible decades ago.....havent come across this happening recently.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:40 am
Just Joined

ex_REME is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Grahamc

I've recently immigrated and enroled with the Canadian Forces and now work with many Public Servants in DND HQ.

There is no "transfer" as such, but you don't have to be a Canadian citizen to work in the Govt, not even DND unless the job is listed as restricted for security reasons. However, I just checked this out for a Brit Civil Servant mate and "preference will be given to a Canadian citizens" for job applicants, so it all depends on your particular skills and how many applicants for jobs they get. I am almost certain you would have to be a Permanent Resident before you can join, but if you have visa for PR, they may accept you for interview then offer the job to you provided you become a PR. That way you could obtain a job offer before leaving your NI job.

Good luck

Ex_REME
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Grahamc......my OH has just left the NI Civil Service 8 weeks ago before we moved to Saskatchewan and he couldn't transfer to the Canadian one

Where in NI are you from and where do you hope to move to here??

Try your best to get a job first as we only started to talk about immigrating at the end of last April and we arrived here on the 19th Jan as OH secured a job first.

All the best,

Alvic.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:42 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

It is notoriously difficult for anyone to get into the civil service in Canada. Most jobs are not open to the public and the few that are are filled using to following order of preference:

Someone already working in the department.
His wife.
His dog.
His mate.
His mate's dog.
Someone working in the same ministry.
Someone working in a different bit of the federal government (permanent only).
A member of the general public born in Canada who knows someone in the department.
A member of the general public not born in Canada, now a Canadian and who knows someone in the department.
A Canadian-born amoeba.
A PR.

Immediately before I migrated to Canada, I spent four years as a locally employed member of staff in Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs. To all intents and purposes, I was a Canadian civil servant. Was it possible for me to transfer? No.

When we moved to Ottawa nearly four years ago it was Souvette's intention to retire from the Army (which is part of the government) and take a civvy government job. No dice. The internally advertised jobs, which is most of them, were not open to the military or RCMP. That situation has only quite recently changed somewhat and she was out the door of DND HQ like a shot.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 8:25 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

BUT - there is a need for people in the municipalities (especially the ones in BC - or rather I live in BC and that is what I have noticed...)

Is this link of any use to you? http://www.civicinfo.bc.ca/

However, the municipalities are not really aware of PNP yet..

Clare
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:33 pm
G & S NI

Grahamc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice!!! Maybe I can secure a job as an Electrician and my wife can then look at her leisure for something else
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:47 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Maybe I can secure a job as an Electrician
you will have to recertify when you get here
Old Mar 7th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice!!! Maybe I can secure a job as an Electrician and my wife can then look at her leisure for something else
Good call....it would be easier to crack the Da Vinci code than the Canadian Public Service code....in order to gain employment.

Souvenir has probably said it best....

Anyway...here is the link:

http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/menu/home_e.htm

Old Mar 8th 2008, 8:17 am
Loving it here!

Actually, there is a way around getting a job in Govt. There was an article in the local "quality" paper here (the Vancouver Sun, it is crap but the best of a bad bunch...) which reported that a lot of the federal depts are having problems recruiting and have a large auxiliary (AKA Temping) pool. And when jobs come up, under union agreements, the auxiliaries are treated as internal applicants.

So here is a link to the provincial govt. **********... As you will see, some of the jobs are not open for external aplicants. http://employment.gov.bc.ca/

Clare
Old Mar 8th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Actually, there is a way around getting a job in Govt. There was an article in the local "quality" paper here (the Vancouver Sun, it is crap but the best of a bad bunch...) which reported that a lot of the federal depts are having problems recruiting and have a large auxiliary (AKA Temping) pool. And when jobs come up, under union agreements, the auxiliaries are treated as internal applicants.

So here is a link to the provincial govt. **********... As you will see, some of the jobs are not open for external aplicants. http://employment.gov.bc.ca/

Clare
There are 3 types of position, casual (max 90 days in a calender year), term and in-determinant (simply stated, a permanent position).

Getting the latter is not easy and can be done one of two ways, by being in a term position for long enough and perhaps being appointed in a permanent capacity without a competition or by success after making it through an external (open) competition.

Being in a temp or casual position unfortunately means nothing. When a permanent job is offered, there is a pecking order, and first dabs goes to suitable applicants on the priority hire list.

Temps are certainly not "internal apps," my basis for this comment is that I am involved in the hiring of public servants and continue to live the drama.

Unfortunately, that's the way it is.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 7:17 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Any degree level educated Social Workers looking for work (front line CP) PM me and I can send you in the direction of a potential job or jobs in my area. No PNP for this as yet, but it's coming.....