Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Costs in Toronto

Wikiposts

Costs in Toronto

Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs in Toronto

Originally Posted by dollface
family of 4 here and I spend over grand a month..................
Ditto that
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muckey
Ok so an update it's myself my girlfriend and our son.as I've said my rent in Ireland is 1000e and then the bills on top of that and in Ireland I earn 40000e before tax.so at the start my girlfriend wouldn't be working just me and I would presume I'd be getting a car.so when I go over the company will give me a rental car for two months also pay for a hotel for two months and then ontop of that give me 60$ a day for two months for food this is all for two months till I get settled in.the wage is 690000$ and that's just basic I have over time ontop of that.maybe 1200$ is off the mark for renting I'd pay even 1500 r 1600$ for a nice place any one any more decent advice for me please.there workshop where I'm going to be working is near the holiday inn in down town Toronto so that's where Id be looking to move rent a place.oh and one final thing the company will also pay for me to ship my tools and will refund me 2000$ for my travel expense of moving over ..
Thanks in advance for any help

There you go. That wasn't too painful was it?

I'd have to check where the Holiday Inn in downtown is... I think though that it's pretty central. If I were you I'd forget the car thing and find a 2-bed rental apartment on the Yonge subway.

One place to look would be Yonge & Finch, at the north end of the Yonge subway line. You can likely find a 2-bed place (in a high-rise) for $1200-$1400 per month. It's not a bad area.

I think I'd take it on with $70K plus overtime (assuming that's real and assuming your needs are relatively modest for now), especially if the girlfriend would be able to look for at least a part-time job if things are rough.

BTW, how old are you, she and your son?

Also, are you planning on TWP? Beware that just occasionally the employer turns out to be a total liar and if he reneges, you're screwed.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 17th 2012 at 10:54 am.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:52 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Ditto that
People really do have the wrong impression of this neck of the woods, long gone are the days where people come here because it's a much cheaper existance.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:54 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
There you go. That wasn't too painful was it?

I'd have to check where the Holiday Inn in downtown is... I think though that it's pretty central. If I were you I'd forget the car thing and find a 2-bed rental apartment on the Yonge subway.

One place to look would be Yonge & Finch, at the north end of the Yonge subway line. You can likely find a 2-bed place (in a high-rise) for $1200-$1400 per month. It's not a bad area.

I think I'd take it on with $70K plus overtime (assuming that's real and assuming your needs are relatively modest for now), especially if the girlfriend would be able to look for at least a part-time job if things are rough.

BTW, how old are you, she and your son?
Looks like it right downtown - he could get a 2 bedroom flat for around the 1400-1600 mark and as you say probably wouldn't need to bother with a car.

Still think he'd be tight though.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like it right downtown - he could get a 2 bedroom flat for around the 1400-1600 mark and as you say probably wouldn't need to bother with a car.

Still think he'd be tight though.
Tight? yes, but I'd judge do-able, just about. I'd expect it's tight on 40K euro in Ireland too.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Tight? yes, but I'd judge do-able, just about. I'd except it's tight on 40K euro in Ireland too.
Suppose it depends where in Ireland - Dublin, certainly, even now.

Depends on his reason for moving here I guess, if it's for a better lifestyle, then perhaps he should rethink things...........
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly.
Hows that not fair? Manchester's reasonably large city overshadowed by a major one quite near it. Lots of people like Manchester.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hows that not fair? Manchester's reasonably large city overshadowed by a major one quite near it. Lots of people like Manchester.
What major city overshadows T.O that is quite near it?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What major city overshadows T.O that is quite near it?
Primarily New York though one could also argue for Montreal.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:15 am

Not exactly next door. The only decent part of Montreal imo is the old town and that's not big.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

NY over shadows everything except London.
Montreal is no longer the city it was in the 80s and 90s.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

Not exactly next door. The only decent part of Montreal imo is the old town and that's not big.
London isn't next door to Manchester but London's a major city and so Manchester is in its shadow. Manchester may have merit but unless the manufacturer is from the north you don't see Manchester named on perfume bottles, same way with New York and Toronto. Toronto's the city in Canada but that's like being the city in, well, wherever Manchester's in, "the north" or something-shire.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:26 am

London isn't next door to Manchester but London's a major city and so Manchester is in its shadow. Manchester may have merit but unless the manufacturer is from the north you don't see Manchester named on perfume bottles, same way with New York and Toronto. Toronto's the city in Canada but that's like being the city in, well, wherever Manchester's in, "the north" or something-shire.
unless you count Boddingtons

On alot of major cosmetics and skin care etc you will find Toronto noted.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by London Mike
NY over shadows everything except London.
Agreed.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:34 am

Agreed.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.