Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Costs of emigrating

Costs of emigrating

Old Nov 17th 2015, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs of emigrating

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I disagree. I think they are costs you need to include. When you immigrate from a country where your financial and driving history are known to one where they are not, these higher costs become very significant especially off the back of no income coming in (if this is the case). Car insurance is so significantly higher than the UK for one person let alone two, I certainly wouldn't leave that cost out of the equation.

The same can be applied to the house too- deposits are often required for utilities, house insurance has no previous background info on you so these are extra and above what you might have paid in the UK. In the grand scheme of things I doubt there are many people that immigrate that go wow I didn't to need to budget so much to move. Invariably it will cost you more than you thought, whether it is 10, 20, 30, or 50% more I imagine is based on how well you research this before you go..
OK fair enough the costs may be (temporarily in most cases I think) slightly escalated - in which case surely the cost is just the difference in the two figures?
We never had to pay any deposit for facilities in MB - is that normal in other provinces?
House insurance was almost identical cost-wise.
Driving history - iirc you can get a history report from the UK and premium is reduced slightly on that basis.
I agree car insurance is extortionate here though. Having no competition whatsoever in MB means the province can charge whatever they like.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 4:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
Why is it hard for someone to answer a question if they have actually been through the experience? If they did
It may not be hard to put something down, but to construct something useful the parameters in the question posed are too wide. Currencies fluctuations, which currencies to use, time frames involved, the real cost of immigration vs what one would have spent whether one immigrated or not.

I cannot see with such wide parameters this could come up with anything useful for prospective immigrants.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

Booked flights, packed clothes in two suitcases, train from Toronto to Belleville, rented an apartment where previous tentants had left a few pieces. Bought a saucepan and frying pan. That's it in a nutshell - didn't have kids so no worries there.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
It may not be hard to put something down, but to construct something useful the parameters in the question posed are too wide. Currencies fluctuations, which currencies to use, time frames involved, the real cost of immigration vs what one would have spent whether one immigrated or not.

I cannot see with such wide parameters this could come up with anything useful for prospective immigrants.
I would say even setting out a 'list' is useful. Its the methodical way I like to do things. (some might disagree)

Take the costs with a pinch of salt, change to suit your own circumstances as I have said, or disregard completely!

I said earlier in the thread, the link I was provided gave me something else to factor in I did not initially think of (car rental on first arrival for a week or so until we purchase our own car) = an expense to budget for / a cost of emigrating setting up costs

So it has already been 'useful for a prospective immigrant' . Who would have thought it...

If there is anyone else on here, or dares to join this forum in the future (with a thick skin) and it helps them out a little, then its been worth it.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 4:52 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Roberto1980;11796432]I would say even setting out a 'list' is useful. Its the methodical way I like to do things. (some might disagree) Take the costs with a pinch of salt, change to suit your own circumstances as I have said, or disregard completely! I said earlier in the thread, the link I was provided gave me something else to factor in I did not initially think of (car rental on first arrival for a week or so until we purchase our own car) = an expense to budget for / a cost of emigrating setting up costs So it has already been 'useful for a prospective immigrant' . Who would have thought it... If there is anyone else on here, or dares to join this forum in the future (with a thick skin) and it helps them out a little, then its been worth it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I just can't resist this; why is your sarcasm OK but other people's sarcasm/banter antagonistic or aggressive? You're the one using bold italics to get your message through (which I understood to be the equivalent of "shouting"), no-one else.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rivingtonpike;11796441]
I would say even setting out a 'list' is useful. Its the methodical way I like to do things. (some might disagree) Take the costs with a pinch of salt, change to suit your own circumstances as I have said, or disregard completely! I said earlier in the thread, the link I was provided gave me something else to factor in I did not initially think of (car rental on first arrival for a week or so until we purchase our own car) = an expense to budget for / a cost of emigrating setting up costs So it has already been 'useful for a prospective immigrant' . Who would have thought it... If there is anyone else on here, or dares to join this forum in the future (with a thick skin) and it helps them out a little, then its been worth it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I just can't resist this; why is your sarcasm OK but other people's sarcasm/banter antagonistic or aggressive? You're the one using bold italics to get your message through (which I understood to be the equivalent of "shouting"), no-one else.
Do you mean where I said "who would have thought it"?

If so then I wasn't being sarcastic... it's ironic though, someone said that to me earlier and no one highlighted that to them? So I presumed that was deemed 'within the rules'...

I felt I made a perfectly friendly and valid point in showing how one persons interpretation of a thread may seem pointless, when in fact it can be very useful for others.

Oh, and I genuinely wasn't aware that highlighting text in bold was 'shouting' what if I underline a text what does that mean?
Old Nov 17th 2015, 6:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

How about we get back on topic and stop the stupid sniping all around? It's getting awfully tedious.

Old Nov 17th 2015, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
How about we get back on topic and stop the stupid sniping all around? It's getting awfully tedious.

Definitely

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 17th 2015 at 7:20 pm. Reason: :)
Old Nov 17th 2015, 7:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, got to ask, why so cheap flights?
Mainly because there was so much competition at the time, Canada3000, Canjet, Air Transat, Thomas Cook etc., as well as Air Canada and BA - I was regularly getting returns for under £120 (ah, those were the days) - plus of course the exchange rate was phenomenal at the time.