Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Costs of emigrating

Costs of emigrating

Old Nov 16th 2015, 7:03 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs of emigrating

Before we even arrived costs:-

Sold the house 1% and lawyers fees on top. Stayed with friends after our belongings left, closed when we were in Canada.

Shipping - we shipped and filled a 20ft container (3 bedroom house) for about £5000.00. In addition you have to pay marine insurance-can't remember how much but not cheap!!!! We also needed to store for longer than expected which was an extra cost along with insurance.

Health insurance for three months. About £300 if I remember rightly.

Flights ... Honestly can't remember but one way is more expensive than a return. In addition we had to pay extra baggage to get the necessary items over until shipping arrived. Also of rental car to get to airport, hotel to stay over to catch flight.

Delayed flight- obvious additional costs. It was winter!

Car rental on other side ... Had it for about 5 days before the garage gave us a car to drive around in while we were waiting. 2 x Driving license swapped- fee for this. Intangible cost- you can't get a great price selling your UK cars when you need to be pretty specific about when you sell them.. Didn't have car loans in the UK- now have two

Car insurance- will likely be around $1500 for one?

Where will you live until your belongings arrived? Hotels costs/rental costs? Deposit?

Several huge first food shops as you replace everything you couldn't ship.

Even if you think you've packed everything, you wil still need to go out and buy things.

Kids needed several more clothes as no uniform to wear. Our school also operates an indoor/outdoor pair of shoes policy so two sets needed every season.

Living expenses for a month . Even with a job to go to a week after we arrived, we were still without money coming in for a month. Obviously you don't just finish work and leave the next day, likewise even with a pre arranged job you still have a lag..

Exam costs for your wife will $288 for the exam plus an additional cost for JP exam and registration and insurance.

I think like RP said two years later I still feel like we're recovering financially and my husband had work to start a few days after we arrived. I would say the obvious initial costs come in at about £10k but overall with all those intangible costs of pensions, cars, selling, renting and buying a house probably another 15-20k.

Edited to add... We also had going away parties both for ourselves and the kids. I'm glad we did, we got to say goodbye to all our friends before we left and likewise my son.

Last edited by Tirytory; Nov 16th 2015 at 7:18 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory

Sold the house 1% and lawyers fees on top. Stayed with friends after our belongings left, closed when we were in Canada.

Shipping - we shipped and filled a 20ft container (3 bedroom house) for about £5000.00. In addition you have to pay marine insurance-can't remember how much but not cheap!!!! We also needed to store for longer than expected which was an extra cost along with insurance.

Flights ... Honestly can't remember but one way is more expensive than a return. In addition we had to pay extra baggage to get the necessary items over until shipping arrived. Also of rental car to get to airport, hotel to stay over to catch flight.

Car rental on other side ... Had it for about 5 days before the garage gave us a car to drive around in while we were waiting. 2 x Driving license swapped- fee for this. Intangible cost- you can't get a great price selling your UK cars when you need to be pretty specific about when you sell them.. Didn't have car loans in the UK- now have two

Where will you live until your belongings arrived? Hotels costs/rental costs? Deposit?

Even if you think you've packed everything, you wil still need to go out and buy things.

Kids needed several more clothes as no uniform to wear. Our school also operates an indoor/outdoor pair of shoes policy so two sets needed every season.

Living expenses for a month . Even with a job to go to a week after we arrived, we were still without money coming in for a month. Obviously you don't just finish work and leave the next day, likewise even with a pre arranged job you still have a lag..

Exam costs for your wife will $288 for the exam plus an additional cost for JP exam and registration and insurance.

I think like RP said two years later I still feel like we're recovering financially and my husband had work to start a few days after we arrived. I would say the obvious initial costs come in at about £10k but overall with all those intangible costs of pensions, cars, selling, renting and buying a house probably another 15-20k.
This is a good starting point.

For us it was a bit different
- We did part container shipping, packed everything ourselves and picked it up from the shipping agent ourselves. Ended up costing about 1000 GBP for 3 cubic metres (we didn't bring any furniture).
- We didn't bother with car rental as we were downtown for the first month. We did use Car2Go, Zipcar etc, when needed but mostly took the bus.
- I went straight into a job where the salary was paid every 2 weeks which helped with the moving. Also we had substantial savings built up. I would not recommend moving without savings.
- Deposit for a rental condo was 1/2 months rent (+ first month's rent up front) + pet deposit.
- The first few big shops were really a lot, as we had to buy things like spices again and they are not too cheap in Canada (or BC at least) and also trying to figure out what is good value and not is hard as you are not used to the brands etc..
- the period of temporary residence in a hotel is going to be expensive as you end up eating out a lot more. One thing to be aware of (in BC again) is that rentals tend to start at the 1st of the month (sometimes 15th but not too common), so if you arrive at the start of the month, you could need a hotel for a month.

Last edited by bc2015; Nov 16th 2015 at 7:21 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory

Edited to add... We also had going away parties both for ourselves and the kids. I'm glad we did, we got to say goodbye to all our friends before we left and likewise my son.

There you go, now you're getting it! Well played

Last edited by Roberto1980; Nov 16th 2015 at 7:24 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 7:28 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
Actually I'm going to revise my initial costs upwards after reading my own thing back... Probably between 15-20k.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 8:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This forum, honestly.

I'm pretty sure that I started this thread by asking for other people to share THEIR experiences of their costs.. Pretty sure... Wait I'll check, yeah I did..

I also wrote in the first post that I understand everybody's experiences/figures will be different. I get it, I do.

Before anymore jump on the bandwagon. And another thread gets swallowed up with irrelevant nonsense, can we leave out the sarcasm? And pointless negative nit picking? Can we leave out the hopeless attempts at being a smartar#e? And maybe stick to the point of this forum, and bloody assist each other in our varying stages of immigration?

If I don't like, agree or can assist with a thread, I just don't reply. But then i have other things to do in my life rather than sit poised vulture style at my computer. Ye ken?

Much love
With respect, you asked why there wasn't a wiki article on this subject - most of the 'off topic' answers you were given were in reference to that.

Additionally, anyone can put their 2p's worth in, regardless - it's a British Expats forum, which means you are going to receive irrelevant and irreverent responses! (it's the nature of the beast).

Perhaps you could ignore the comments you don't like, rather than berating?

Old Nov 16th 2015, 8:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Now, to answer your original post.

- Selling up UK home £.......
solicitors, Estate agency fees, council tax final bills, redirecting mail...

Normal 1% to sell plus around £300 for legal fees etc. I had a redirect on mail for several years - I think they charged around £100 for 6 months?

- Shipping items £.......

Storage cost me a fortune as my goods and belonging were in there for nearly 5 years. Shipping was around £2500 but I didn't have a great deal. There were also fees to pay to get my goods released from customs warehouse.
Cost of packing materials - probably in the region of £300
Rental of van to take goods to storage facility - £80
Hotel night before flight plus dinner etc - £100

- Flights £......

You will hate me for this one - £120

- Setting up costs $.......
Initial temporary accommodation / hotel, Rental property upfront deposit, temporary storage, Upfront utility fees, upfront TV / phone fees, mobile phones, private health/dental insurance, new household furniture

Hotel - about 6 weeks IIRC - $4800
Apartment - rental 12 months in advance - $7000
Utilities - $100 for Electricity up front
Furniture - under $1000 but I bought most of it 2nd hand
Kitchen Equipment, kettle, toaster, microwave and other sundry items $300
Phone/internet - IIRC it was about $150 up front
Cell - Phone, Sim card and prepay - $160
Taxi costs for going to buy everything - about $300!
Computer - mine was too old to bring - $800

- Car(s)$.......
Upfront finance deposits, one off / cash sale, salesperson fees, safety certificate/MOT, upfront insurance payment

N/A

- School $.....
kids supplies, transport

N/A

- Childcare $......
before and after school care for kids aged 4 + 6

N/A

For my son (who emigrated here 5 years later) -

Flight - £400
Shipping - £4500
Hotel and dinner night before flight - £180
Cost of getting goods to airport (he flew some things cargo, sent the rest by sea) - £100
Cell - bought own, just bought SIM card - $30
New TV (had to have his own) - $600
PVR (had to have his own) - $380

There were a lot of other expenses on top when I bought my house, but that was a few years later.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 16th 2015 at 8:43 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 9:00 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Ah that patronizing tone again- how I love it.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

This forum, honestly.

I'm pretty sure that I started this thread by asking for other people to share THEIR experiences of their costs.. Pretty sure... Wait I'll check, yeah I did..

I also wrote in the first post that I understand everybody's experiences/figures will be different. I get it, I do.

Before anymore jump on the bandwagon. And another thread gets swallowed up with irrelevant nonsense, can we leave out the sarcasm? And pointless negative nit picking? Can we leave out the hopeless attempts at being a smartar#e? And maybe stick to the point of this forum, and bloody assist each other in our varying stages of immigration?

If I don't like, agree or can assist with a thread, I just don't reply. But then i have other things to do in my life rather than sit poised vulture style at my computer. Ye ken?

Much love
With all due respect, you have received plenty of advice and help on this forum while at the same time
- not showing much in the way of gratitude.
- not offering much help/advice of your own (after all you have been through the PR process which is a topic a lot of people have questions about)
- getting extremely snarky when you don't get the advice you expect.

The nature of posting to a public forum means that threads are going to go OT.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
With respect, you asked why there wasn't a wiki article on this subject - most of the 'off topic' answers you were given were in reference to that.

Additionally, anyone can put their 2p's worth in, regardless - it's a British Expats forum, which means you are going to receive irrelevant and irreverent responses! (it's the nature of the beast).

Perhaps you could ignore the comments you don't like, rather than berating?

Yeah it is unfortunately the nature of 'the beast'.. Doesn't make it any more sad though...

You're right though, I should try harder to ignore and not rise to the sarcasm and cynicism by some on here. Need to remember there is decent, helpful, positive people on 'this beast'..
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bc2015
With all due respect, you have received plenty of advice and help on this forum while at the same time
- not showing much in the way of gratitude.
- not offering much help/advice of your own (after all you have been through the PR process which is a topic a lot of people have questions about)
- getting extremely snarky when you don't get the advice you expect.

The nature of posting to a public forum means that threads are going to go OT.
Gratitude? I'm fairly certain if I have been given an answer to a question I have asked on here, I have replied with at least a thank you ?

I have also answered a few questions if I notice one that I can answer.. I don't sit looking through this forum 24/7..

I only get 'snarky' in response when 'people' on here display any pointless sarcasm and all the other pointless negativity. Please see Tangram and Tirytory's initial responses?...
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it is unfortunately the nature of 'the beast'.. Doesn't make it any more sad though...

You're right though, I should try harder to ignore and not rise to the sarcasm and cynicism by some on here. Need to remember there is decent, helpful, positive people on 'this beast'..

Of course you're right here. No-one wants give you a straight answer, damn them.

It cost me sixpence. (Well, there were two of us).

HTH
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gratitude? I'm fairly certain if I have been given an answer to a question I have asked on here, I have replied with at least a thank you ?
Well you didn't thank TiryTory for her (excellent) post. Instead your reply was condescending to the extreme.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:39 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Looking to start a thread where others can share their experiences of the costs of moving to Canada from the UK.

From start to finish, (finish being you sitting in your new abode and looking at the 'bill' of it all...)

So:-

- Selling up UK home £.......
solicitors, Estate agency fees, council tax final bills, redirecting mail...

Estate agents fees, redirected mail to my in-laws for 2 months where we lived while possessions were shipped to BC. Sold vehicles and put cash aside for replacement cars in Canada. Was made redundant prior to selling property, so lived off savings for 2.5 months. Paid immigration lawyers c£1k to assist self-employed immigration route.

- Shipping items £.......

Approx £5k. Customs strike in Vancouver meant container not released for 2 months (4 months in total in transit). Had to purchase essentials until possessions were delivered.

- Flights £......

2 adults and a dog. I guess approx $1,750 11 years ago

- Setting up costs $.......
Initial temporary accommodation / hotel, Rental property upfront deposit, temporary storage, Upfront utility fees, upfront TV / phone fees, mobile phones, private health/dental insurance, new household furniture

Purchased a business and property upon arrival, so no temp accom costs. $250k deposit, $250k commercial mortgage. Can't recall exactly what the mortgage arrangement, property transfer, insurance (liability/buildings/contents etc) and legal fees were, possibly around $10k. Upfront utility deposits were over $2k. No income for 3 months, so more savings used to get by. Have never had health/dental insurance. Spent approx $5k on some furnishings and electronic items. The majority of what we needed got shipped. Spent a further $70k on business related purchases.

- Car(s)$.......
Upfront finance deposits, one off / cash sale, salesperson fees, safety certificate/MOT, upfront insurance payment

Paid cash for a truck, which was $25k including sales tax. No MOT's here. Insurance was $1,100. Car road test/licence was about $100.

- School $.....
kids supplies, transport

No kids

- Childcare $......
before and after school care for kids aged 4 + 6

No kids

Obviously figures will vary due to where in Canada, size of family, company transfer covering costs etc

Any unforeseen costs can be added to the list I'm sure lol

If I'd stayed in the UK, I'd have avoided close to $100k in expenditure, but been unemployed. Not sure how that helps you plan anything.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bc2015
Well you didn't thank TiryTory for her (excellent) post.
Yes. I did mark that on my travels around BE today. Rather a shame really , given the quality of the post in question.

A helpful tip:
Hit the ignore button if you really don't like some members of this fine Canadian community & perhaps those same members could think to simply not bother to engage with you further.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 11:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
A helpful tip:
Hit the ignore button if you really don't like some members of this fine Canadian community & perhaps those same members could think to simply not bother to engage with you further.
The net result is that posters asking the question can often miss out on helpful and valuable input when others don't bother to post because of a hissy fit by the OP, toys out the pram and all that. It's my thread, do what I want!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.