Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Costs of emigrating - 2020

Costs of emigrating - 2020

Old Mar 4th 2020, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Frazzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Costs of emigrating - 2020

I had similar issues with proof of funds. Hardly any of the details I needed were on the reference given, I had to go into bank and luckily I got another reference from the manager stating everything but average and current balance.
I included a statement to cover the current balance but could do nothing about the average.
I guess most people struggle with this and it must be expected.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 7:29 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Thats great for info and I'm not sure I actually want to add up my costs to get to ITA stage are, as I think it is somewhat astronomical.

Can I just ask whats the whole notarisation for proof of funds about? I just submitted bank statements(Stamped), a letter from my banks (signed and stamped) and that was it? did they ask for more info and you had to provide it? or was it how you did it from the start? or did you do it due to concerns on your GCMS notes?

I'm circa 14 weeks into my application, and itching for movement on it. (plan to request GCMS notes at the end of April which will be like 21/22 weeks in) but proof of funds was one of my concerns, as my banks couldn't give average balances, and 1 of them missed off opening dates on my accounts, but given the time it took to get them sorted I had no option but to submit with a letter of explanation and hope it was enough (I had minimal funds with that bank and had in excess of my proof of funds in with the bank that did it right).
Our bank (RCI) was actually very obliging and supplied a letter in the exact format required by IRCC. The reason we had a letter notarised was because our money for POF was a gift from my dad, so it was to support our claim that the money was an unencumbered gift with no expectations of it being repaid.

Although we didn’t have to supply statements because the bank wrote a bespoke letter, it showed the account was only opened a couple of months before we submitted the application and with a much smaller balance than it showed at the time, so we wanted to address any potential concerns about this.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82
Our bank (RCI) was actually very obliging and supplied a letter in the exact format required by IRCC. The reason we had a letter notarised was because our money for POF was a gift from my dad, so it was to support our claim that the money was an unencumbered gift with no expectations of it being repaid.

Although we didn’t have to supply statements because the bank wrote a bespoke letter, it showed the account was only opened a couple of months before we submitted the application and with a much smaller balance than it showed at the time, so we wanted to address any potential concerns about this.
Thanks for the response, makes perfect sense - I'm in that horrible bit now post application where i am a) spotting minor errors in my application and b) thinking how i could have provided more evidence etc. Everything was in order, where i couldn't get exactly what they wanted i went above and beyond and included a letter of explanation - but you still worry(well i do at least).

Old Mar 7th 2020, 3:58 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Thanks for the response, makes perfect sense - I'm in that horrible bit now post application where i am a) spotting minor errors in my application and b) thinking how i could have provided more evidence etc. Everything was in order, where i couldn't get exactly what they wanted i went above and beyond and included a letter of explanation - but you still worry(well i do at least).
We included a LOE as well. I’m sure you’ll be fine. It’s natural to wish you’d dine certain things differently afterwards. You can always request your GCMS notes if you want some insight as to how it’s going.