Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:55 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

**** me, if emigrating to areas equivalent to Milton Keynes is this hard, i'd really not bother and focus on life in the UK.

I feel quite lucky it only took me 3 months from start to finish of a very straight forward application to move to a much nicer part of Canada with a job in hand

Good luck Alcat2010 but hopefully more realistic expectations are being reset. You remind me of my wife in that when she has something in her mind, she can't let it go until she does/buys it. It can be a very expensive mindset
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Aviator
I don't think so, you'd have to be funny to do that!
Ouch, that hurt..

You play nice now

Dbd33 will be along to back me up though...
I actually made him "laugh out loud".. true story
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:19 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
So in short

You can live comfortably in Barrie on $100k household income.

You'll probably not get a firefighting job for a very long time

You'll need another job of some sort to see you through

You'll need a large chunk of cash to see you through the jobless and/or low income years.

Barrie is a bit of a shithole.

I think this thread has given you your reality check somewhat
But there is a Hooters......
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:29 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
You can get a new 4 bedroom 2000sqft detached house for $300,000 in Barrie which makes it very appealing for young families relocating from the UK.

Does not compute.

Fail to see how squeezing 4 bedrooms into 2,000 sq/ft and having adequate living accommodation for 6 people is 'very appealing'.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Does not compute.

Fail to see how squeezing 4 bedrooms into 2,000 sq/ft and having adequate living accommodation for 6 people is 'very appealing'.
Me too. That's less than the size of our condo.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Does not compute.

Okay then. Suggest a useful and realistic alternative? Bearing in mind, of course, that Toronto is experiencing it's highest property prices since the mid 90's. It's hardly a squeeze either by the way, unless you are horizontally challenged?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:45 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

For many in the UK a 2000sq ft house of any number of bedrooms seems like an impossibility. One forgets quite how small UK houses are as one sits back in the echoing vastness of ones family room in Canada.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:49 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Okay then. Suggest a useful and realistic alternative? Bearing in mind, of course, that Toronto is experiencing it's highest property prices since the mid 90's. It's hardly a squeeze either by the way, unless you are horizontally challenged?
I wouldn't spend a chunk of money and think that emigrating to such a compromised living space was appealing at all, so my solution would be to live elsewhere in Canada (given Barrie's less than glowing appeal within this thread), or stay in the UK.

To my mind emigrating should deliver the least amount of compromise possible. It's a choice to improve lifestyle, environment, salary or whatever else motivates you. The scenario you picture would offer me no reason to think I'd be happier or willing to invest in the process.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
For many in the UK a 2000sq ft house of any number of bedrooms seems like an impossibility. One forgets quite how small UK houses are as one sits back in the echoing vastness of ones family room in Canada.
Couldn't agree more. The OP. stays in a flat in Glasgow and has a young family. All I was trying to say is that Barrie could be a good starting point for them as house prices are reasonable and the recent hospital expansion could be a good opp for his wife.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

I wouldn't spend a chunk of money and think that emigrating to such a compromised living space was appealing at all, so my solution would be to live elsewhere in Canada (given Barrie's less than glowing appeal within this thread), or stay in the UK.

To my mind emigrating should deliver the least amount of compromise possible. It's a choice to improve lifestyle, environment, salary or whatever else motivates you. The scenario you picture would offer me no reason to think I'd be happier or willing to invest in the process.
as expat said, it all depends on what and where you are coming from (or getting away from). Your expectations could be someone else's dream.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:59 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alcat2010
Ouch, that hurt..

You play nice now

Dbd33 will be along to back me up though...
I actually made him "laugh out loud".. true story

yes, but he is deranged, i am sure he laughs out loud when he snaps the heads off kittens!

Last edited by fletcher m; Mar 26th 2012 at 7:02 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:04 pm
Pea Brain

as expat said, it all depends on what and where you are coming from (or getting away from). Your expectations could be someone else's dream.
Yes, it's all relative to expectations. A few years ago I built a 2,000 sq/ft house here, with 3 bedrooms for my wife and I. It was perfectly big enough for 2 of us and all our clutter. Would I have wanted another bedroom fitted in, and 4 more people living there with all their possessions? That'd would have driven me nuts.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, it's all relative to expectations. A few years ago I built a 2,000 sq/ft house here, with 3 bedrooms for my wife and I. It was perfectly big enough for 2 of us and all our clutter. Would I have wanted another bedroom fitted in, and 4 more people living there with all their possessions? That'd would have driven me nuts.
Maybe if you had less clutter you would fare better. The majority of houses built in the GTA over the last 10 years so (which are affordable to mortals) are around 2000 to 2500 sqft. Not including the basement.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:24 pm
Pea Brain

Maybe if you had less clutter you would fare better. The majority of houses built in the GTA over the last 10 years so (which are affordable to mortals) are around 2000 to 2500 sqft. Not including the basement.
You assume clutter to be a negative - I mean just household stuff, possessions. I think I actually live pretty free of extraneous crap (see pic), but that doesn't mean I'd have wanted my stuff 3x over in the same space.

A 2,000 sq/ft house with basement is completely different - storage becomes far easier to manage.
Attached Thumbnails The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..-house1.jpg  
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

You assume clutter to be a negative - I mean just household stuff, possessions. I think I actually live pretty free of extraneous crap (see pic), but that doesn't mean I'd have wanted my stuff 3x over in the same space.

A 2,000 sq/ft house with basement is completely different - storage becomes far easier to manage.
Nice looking room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.