Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Blackberry & radio

Blackberry & radio

Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blackberry & radio

Hi. I know this may not be a "Canada" Question, but being here, and Canada being the home of Blackberry, I wonder does anyone have any first hand experience of the following :
Wife has a Blackberry (Curve?) Anyway, listening to BBC radio via interweb a while back, I swear I heard someone had e mailed the show to say they were listening to in in Vancouver, on their blackberry as they drove along. Skip fwd to present, I have a new car and it has some sort of link up for devices of this sort, so now I'm a bit maybe I can hook the phone up to the car and get radio via Internet. Only thing is, I'm not into these phones, and was wondering if anyone has a similar set up, and what App(?) is required, and how to get it. Bottom line is that I don't want to go downloading useless stuff on the phone in a hit or miss fashion, until I either get something that works, or have to give up and lie down. Help would be appreciated
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blackberry & radio

Originally Posted by Mr Griffin
Hi. I know this may not be a "Canada" Question, but being here, and Canada being the home of Blackberry, I wonder does anyone have any first hand experience of the following :
Wife has a Blackberry (Curve?) Anyway, listening to BBC radio via interweb a while back, I swear I heard someone had e mailed the show to say they were listening to in in Vancouver, on their blackberry as they drove along. Skip fwd to present, I have a new car and it has some sort of link up for devices of this sort, so now I'm a bit maybe I can hook the phone up to the car and get radio via Internet. Only thing is, I'm not into these phones, and was wondering if anyone has a similar set up, and what App(?) is required, and how to get it. Bottom line is that I don't want to go downloading useless stuff on the phone in a hit or miss fashion, until I either get something that works, or have to give up and lie down. Help would be appreciated
Get the TuneIn app for BlackBerry http://tunein.com/

I have it for t'iPhone and it works a treat - can listen to live radio from across the world, or pick a show that aired within the last week and listen back to it.

I connect it to my car via USB and listen to Radio 1 on the way to work every morn.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the page for BlackBerry specifically: http://tunein.com/mobile/blackberry/

and their support page for BlackBerrys: http://tunein.com/support/blackberry/

and to make it super simple for you, go to this link on your blackberry to download it free http://tunein.com/bb/
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much! ( for both posts - I REALLY do need "super simple, believe me! ) As i said in the question, I was stumbling about in the dark on this one, ( I'm a bit like Peter Kay with " Old people and answering machines - not a good combination, I find" on this subject ) so now all I have to do is pry the phone out of the missus' hands!! Thanks again !
Old Apr 8th 2012, 3:43 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conjonway
Get the TuneIn app for BlackBerry http://tunein.com/

I have it for t'iPhone and it works a treat - can listen to live radio from across the world, or pick a show that aired within the last week and listen back to it.

I connect it to my car via USB and listen to Radio 1 on the way to work every morn.

Hope that helps!
How much data would that use per hour or so?
Old Apr 8th 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el_richo
How much data would that use per hour or so?
There's actually an option in the app to change what quality of stream you want to use (for some stations).

I wasn't sure on the data usage but I just checked, and for BBC Radio 1 it's 48kbps

Using this calulator that works out at 21Mbs an hour
Old Apr 8th 2012, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

It gets tricky if you're wanting to catch your usual shows at the same time as you would in the UK, but it's not too bad:

Most shows are uploaded a wee while after they air - under 5 hours. So for example if I leave for work at 0830EST then I can normally listen to Chris Moyles that finished airing at 0900GMT

Or there's an option available to set your phone to record a certain station at a certain time of day for a certain length of time.

Disclaimer: I do not work for TuneIn, but think it's the best app I have on my phone.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 4:24 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conjonway
There's actually an option in the app to change what quality of stream you want to use (for some stations).

I wasn't sure on the data usage but I just checked, and for BBC Radio 1 it's 48kbps

Using this calulator that works out at 21Mbs an hour
Oh that's not too bad. Might try it for a long drive next weekend.