Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of owning a car in Ontario

Cost of owning a car in Ontario

Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of owning a car in Ontario

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's up to you. I prefer the aphorism which goes Don't. Sweat. The. Details.
I've never heard that version before.

Don't sweat the small stuff - absolutely agree. If you get the important life stuff in order, small annoyances/challenges are not worth wasting much time and energy on by comparision.

But as for the details...well (IMO only of course) not sweating the details is how people end up making crap financial and life decisions which they pay for later. Too many times I've heard people say "I didn't know about that/didn't realise that/didn't think about that." etc etc.

However, I digress. I'm arming myself with information which might well be very useful at a later date.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 10:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
I've never heard that version before.

Don't sweat the small stuff - absolutely agree. If you get the important life stuff in order, small annoyances/challenges are not worth wasting much time and energy on by comparision.

But as for the details...well (IMO only of course) not sweating the details is how people end up making crap financial and life decisions which they pay for later. Too many times I've heard people say "I didn't know about that/didn't realise that/didn't think about that." etc etc.

However, I digress. I'm arming myself with information which might well be very useful at a later date.
As I said earlier, that's up to you.

The answer to your original query is contained in the question. As you said, purchase/financing of the vehicle and insurance are by far the major costs of owning a car in Ontario.

What more do you need to know?
Old Jul 26th 2016, 11:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's up to you. I prefer the aphorism which goes Don't. Sweat. The. Details.
Don't pet the sweaty stuff?
Old Jul 26th 2016, 11:24 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

in a nutshell, without the sweaty stuff

in this part of the world
http://www.travelsmart.ca/en/GVRD/Dr...ing-a-Car.aspx

Simple made easy calculator
http://caa.ca/car_costs/

Australia
Car Running Costs - Owning & Maintaining a Car - RACQ | RACQ

Last edited by not2old; Jul 26th 2016 at 11:28 am.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
in a nutshell, without the sweaty stuff

in this part of the world
http://www.travelsmart.ca/en/GVRD/Dr...ing-a-Car.aspx

Simple made easy calculator
CAA - Driving Costs Calculator

Australia
Car Running Costs - Owning & Maintaining a Car - RACQ | RACQ

Thankyou! Looks like insurance in Ontario is about twice the cost them.

If there is no MOT of WOF equivalent, does this mean there are lots of dangerous old bangers on the roads?
Old Jul 26th 2016, 12:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If there is no MOT of WOF equivalent, does this mean there are lots of dangerous old bangers on the roads?
Yes. Less so in the cities and their suburbs, but yes. Moreover they're driven by dangerous old rednecks who are most often drunk.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 12:08 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
Don't pet the sweaty stuff?
Si tu veux.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 12:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

In Ontario when buying that used vehicle, it must have a current emmissons test as well as a safty (MOT). Up till recently, there has been no requirement for a yearly MOT, just the bi-annual emissions test

Ontario to introduce tougher used vehicle safety standards in July | autoTRADER.ca

"For the first time in 42 years, the Ontario Ministry of Transport (MTO) is revising the standards that a used vehicle must meet in order to pass the province’s safety inspection and be considered roadworthy. The new requirements, which affect every aspect of the vehicle inspection process, go into effect on July 1, 2016" (source autotrader)

Buying and Selling a Used Vehicle in Ontario
Old Jul 26th 2016, 1:04 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest you don't see that many crappy cars on the road around the cities. It's the driving style that's more of an issue !
Old Jul 26th 2016, 1:19 pm
Born again atheist

If want real insight into the minds of average Canadian drivers, just read the comments following on that report.

Hilarious.