Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

cost for non-resident Canadian to study in Canada?

cost for non-resident Canadian to study in Canada?

Old Sep 7th 2019, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute
Default cost for non-resident Canadian to study in Canada?

I tried Google, with no success: hi, my son has Canadian citizenship/passport, and has never lived in Canada. If he were to go to uni in Canada, would his tuition be set as a Canadian citizen or as an international student? If the latter, how many years must he live in Canada to be at the Canadian citizen rate?

Many thanks,
Old Sep 7th 2019, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost for non-resident Canadian to study in Canada?

As far as I know, it is residency that counts for fees not citizenship alone. A student has to have a permanent address in Canada.

I believe that having lived permanently in Canada for one year would entitle him to pay the Canadian rate.

But you would do better to determine what an individual university would consider a Canadian vs foreign student ............. google a few universities, then scan through for their fee charges. Every university sets their own fees, and some may even charge a higher fee for an out-of-province student ..... we hit that with our daughter when she was considering doing that.
Old Sep 7th 2019, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
As far as I know, it is residency that counts for fees not citizenship alone. A student has to have a permanent address in Canada.

I believe that having lived permanently in Canada for one year would entitle him to pay the Canadian rate.

But you would do better to determine what an individual university would consider a Canadian vs foreign student ............. google a few universities, then scan through for their fee charges. Every university sets their own fees, and some may even charge a higher fee for an out-of-province student ..... we hit that with our daughter when she was considering doing that.
I’m not sure that advice re residency is correct, although it looks like a grey area, and I think it’s certainly worth checking with individual establishments. When we looked into it for our daughter about 8 years ago, the universities she considered differentiated by status rather than residency, so citizen or PR was classed as ‘home’ with lower fees than international. Perhaps that’s changed over recent years or with different institutions? And we were resident in Ontario although my recollection is that that didn’t affect things.
Old Sep 7th 2019, 9:37 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Canada’s lowest fee university (for both Canadian and international students): https://www.mun.ca/
Old Sep 8th 2019, 1:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958

I’m not sure that advice re residency is correct, although it looks like a grey area, and I think it’s certainly worth checking with individual establishments. When we looked into it for our daughter about 8 years ago, the universities she considered differentiated by status rather than residency, so citizen or PR was classed as ‘home’ with lower fees than international. Perhaps that’s changed over recent years or with different institutions? And we were resident in Ontario although my recollection is that that didn’t affect things.
I suspect the answer to this is that it all depends. A daughter of mine, Canadian, resident in ON, went to university in NS and paid the out-of-Province fees, then in Qc and paid out-of-Province the first year and then was deemed resident, then in BC but by then she was resident outside Canada. UBC charged international fees the first year and in-Province fees thereafter. The Qc era was much the cheapest as "in-Province" tuition there is very cheap and, even living on the Plateau, rent is also low. In Vancouver, the cost of living anywhere dwarfs the fees.

Financially you need to know how long the school deems students "international". Practically, isn't it the case that you find the school most able to fill your son's head and work out the cost somehow?
Old Sep 8th 2019, 4:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Best to determine whether he meets the requirements (academic) to enter Uni here first
But you might find this of use also: https://uthink.com/question/canadian...g-abroad-osap/

For example: https://www.uottawa.ca/undergraduate...tudying-abroad

Find out which prerequisite courses and additional requirements you need for the program(s) you’re interested in.
International secondary school transcripts

If you are studying in a secondary school in another country, you must submit your transcript.
International postsecondary school transcripts

If you are studying in a college or university in another country, submit your transcripts through uoDoc.

If you have taken the prerequisite courses for your program in secondary school, we require your secondary school transcripts.

If you are currently taking courses, you must submit the codes and titles for them.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 8th 2019 at 4:58 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
[snip] Practically, isn't it the case that you find the school most able to fill your son's head and work out the cost somehow?
Yep, and he is currently at school outside of both Canada and the UK, doing an IB, meaning there is some flexibility as to where he is living [resident] at the end of the term/school year.

thanks all for the advice, more investigation needed.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

We came to BC on a work permit and UBCO would have been $45k for an international student vs $6k now we have PR here so it makes a bit of a difference!!
Old Sep 9th 2019, 2:30 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richb1970
We came to BC on a work permit and UBCO would have been $45k for an international student vs $6k now we have PR here so it makes a bit of a difference!!
$6k for the year...or the term? Just asking as here It's $9,50.00? It's interesting how they all start off quite so differently.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
$6k for the year...or the term? Just asking as here It's $9,50.00? It's interesting how they all start off quite so differently.
Its $6k for the year much cheaper than in the UK!!
Old Sep 10th 2019, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I do know that at UBC, and probably at other universities, that fees differ according to the programme/faculty that the student is in.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone know how residency is defined? I have a Canadian passport, i live in England. On that glorious day when I return to the home and native land, do I have to tell someone? Or just ruck up at the border, anoint myself with a bottle of maple syrup, wrap myself in the flag and go forth?
Old Sep 11th 2019, 12:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I am I said
Does anyone know how residency is defined? I have a Canadian passport, i live in England. On that glorious day when I return to the home and native land, do I have to tell someone? Or just ruck up at the border, anoint myself with a bottle of maple syrup, wrap myself in the flag and go forth?
For the purpose of healthcare, you are resident in Canada if, in each year, you are present for six months +1 day. Alas, I don't know if this rule applies to residency for any other purpose.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 12:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That is not what my daughter was told when she was an international student in Toronto. Even though we had excellent US healthcare insurance that covered her 100% in Canada...we had to buy Canadian insurance. If I remember correctly it either had to be approved by U of T or purchased through them.
I was thinking of Canadians, not visitors; snowbirds are diligent about getting back so as to achieve the required time here. I don't suppose international students, who are not already Canadian, ever achieve residency through studenting..

I lived with an American here for a decade or so and, at one point, she went back to school. She needed health insurance for that; otherwise she just paid at the hospital when asked. There was never a fee at the GP because they dealt with lots of immigrants and had a stock of SINs to use when the patient didn't have one.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 1:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I was thinking of Canadians, not visitors; snowbirds are diligent about getting back so as to achieve the required time here. I don't suppose international students, who are not already Canadian, ever achieve residency through studenting..

I lived with an American here for a decade or so and, at one point, she went back to school. She needed health insurance for that; otherwise she just paid at the hospital when asked. There was never a fee at the GP because they dealt with lots of immigrants and had a stock of SINs to use when the patient didn't have one.
I realized that as soon as I had posted...so deleted my post. You were too quick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.