Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in southern ontario

Cost of living in southern ontario

Old Jul 15th 2020, 8:18 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in southern ontario

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Really? Thats the exact reasons I am here, and what keeps me here! The scenary and the climate! But then I really enjoy the outdoors and Canada really is one of the best back yard playgrounds in the world... its noted for it. I couldnt dream of doing what I do now in the UK, that lifestyle is what drew me here... on top of my personal reasons for leaving the UK.

Love the seasons here, southern Ontario has a very balanced climate ... 4 months of summer, 4 months of winter, and 4 months of inbetween weather.

Sadly its a lot more expensive here now....cost of living wise, when I first moved here it was definitely cheaper than the UK, but now unfortunately its the other way around....not sure what went wrong there.....
What you need to remember about the UK is that it's a low wage economy and the low food prices have been largely fuelled by the EU, be that in terms of cheap labour supply or tariff free imports from the continent. There's no guarantee that's going to be there past January.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 11:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Love the seasons here, southern Ontario has a very balanced climate ... 4 months of summer, 4 months of winter, and 4 months of inbetween weather.
Each to their own, I suppose but +35 is very hot and -35 is very cold and both are too far from sensible to me. (Those are the extremes I see on the car thermometer each year).
Old Jul 16th 2020, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Each to their own, I suppose but +35 is very hot and -35 is very cold and both are too far from sensible to me. (Those are the extremes I see on the car thermometer each year).
You live somewhere where the temp only get 3 degrees above freezing in a typical year
Old Jul 16th 2020, 12:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
You live somewhere where the temp only get 3 degrees above freezing in a typical year
It's a German car, it doesn't do English measures. The English car doesn't have such frippery as a thermometer.

I have just been outside and am reminded how unsuited this place is to doing that. It's not snowing and there's no biting wind so my eyes aren't streaming with tears. It's the other season so, despite having coated myself with noxious chemicals, I have been bitten on every square inch of exposed flesh.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is true, it is a climate of extremes here, but thats what I like about it.... the diversity of the climate and the natural scenic beauty.

I visited Canada on vacation in summer and winter before I moved permanently and enjoyed both. The biting wind does get to me though, its the only thing I find hard to deal with!

Maybe when I am older, and can no longer do the outdoor seasonal activities I currently enjoy, my attitude will change, and this may not be the place for me anymore....I have no ties to anywhere, so who knows.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

How often does -35C actually occur in a Southern Ontario winter these days?
Old Jul 18th 2020, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
In the Niagara region it has been around 30c for the last 3 weeks, an unusual hot 🔥 and dry spell. Forecasting the hotest July on record. It rarely gets below -10c in winter Probably have a 3 day spell in mid to late January and again some time in February. We had a snow shower on 9 May, then 2 weeks later it was in the high 25-30c range. Spring time is getting shorter and shorter and winter does not really start until late December.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, I would see -35c in a winter, but that was Ottawa, not what I would call southern Ontario.

We are now in Lobdon, which I would call SW Ontario. Last winter the coldest it got was around -20C, but in general it was -10c. Used my snowblower maybe 3 times. I have seen some +35c this July when it is too hot to venture for long out of aircon, but people are saying this is exceptional, although it will happily get to 30C and humid!
Old Jul 18th 2020, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

When we arrived in Ottawa, many years ago, a typical winter would include a snowbank (i.e. accumulation of snow) on the front lawn that would reach to the eaves of the house (for a bungalow) by late December, and stay there well into March. As young children, my sister and I would construct extensive tunnel systems underneath the snow in our yard, that would persist for months, and were a great venue for imaginary adventures, snowball wars, and the like. When we moved to Toronto, we tried the same again, but the snow was soggier for the most part, and the tunnels collapsed with each midwinter mild spell.

And nowadays it seems that a "white Christmas" is at best a 50/50 proposition in Toronto.

I can't imagine there are too many older Canadians who are climate-change deniers now, unless they're too senile to remember their childhood.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 2:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I see it 10, 15, times a year. Early in the morning, driving to work. Note that before then I will have cleared the driveway on an open station tractor. I use to see much lower numbers when I had a slightly different route but I packed that in because of the frequent white outs and the risk of being blown off the road.

This winter, inshallah, covid will save us from all that "going outside" nonsense.