Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in southern ontario

Cost of living in southern ontario

Old Jul 5th 2020, 5:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in southern ontario

Originally Posted by vagabonding
Toronto and Vancouver cannot be compared to London which is a true world class city. Toronto and Vancouver are second tier cities. Visualize London compared to Toronto in terms of attractions, transit and status. Vancouver has much more going for it than Toronto from a purely a geographical and visual standpoint and as haven.

it’s also the fact that the housing bubble in Toronto spread vastly to surrounding areas (due to poor transit as a primary reason) . You only need to look at Canada’s rise in reality tv around housing and flipping to see that it’s mania driven and get rich quick scheme. Sorry but I think you are completely wrong. It’s a classic bubble that will pop. Not sure if you picked up that Canada had it’s AAA debt rating cut and Ontario’s debt rating is not great.

it’s all about the credit cycle and Canada is long overdue a reset. Oh take a look at Steve Eismen. He is the guy made famous for the big short movie in which he accurately predicted the US housing bubble and financial crisis. He is now short the Canadian banks.
Ok, but you have stated that it's got nothing to do with the economy / housing / or anything else regarding Canada that is the main reason for you wishing to leave...... you have stated that you are homesick, you want to be near family...... so why do you keep arguing the toss about the state of Canada's finances, what does it matter to you.. if you could afford a fabulous house and a couple of rentals you still wouldn't want to stay!
Old Jul 5th 2020, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto and Vancouver cannot be compared to London which is a true world class city. Toronto and Vancouver are second tier cities. Visualize London compared to Toronto in terms of attractions, transit and status. Vancouver has much more going for it than Toronto from a purely a geographical and visual standpoint and as haven.

it’s also the fact that the housing bubble in Toronto spread vastly to surrounding areas (due to poor transit as a primary reason) . You only need to look at Canada’s rise in reality tv around housing and flipping to see that it’s mania driven and get rich quick scheme. Sorry but I think you are completely wrong. It’s a classic bubble that will pop.Not sure if you picked up that Canada had it’s AAA debt rating cut and Ontario’s debt rating is not great.

it’s all about the credit cycle and Canada is long overdue a reset. Oh take a look at Steve Eismen. He is the guy made famous for the big short movie in which he accurately predicted the US housing bubble and financial crisis. He is now short the Canadian banks.

We are not stupid, even if you think we are ....... which actually is the impression that I am seriously getting from you!

My careful reading of the announcement regarding that cut was that it was due to the large debt incurred by the Federal government during the last 4 or 5 months as they have injected huge amounts of money into taking care of Canadian citizens. I htink they also made some complimentary remarks.

Didn't you benefit from any of that money???? Poor you if not!

I'm only going to get $300, but I'm not angry about that ............... we have enough to survive. And I am certainly not complaining about people being able to access money because they have been laid off; to support Health care workers, seniors, students, businesses; or any of the billions of dollars that have been rolled.

Trudeau did what he had to do, no matter what Scheer might argue.

Plus of course the money that has been rolled out by the various provincial governments, including Ontario.

Your premier might be a bit of a joke, and a talking head unwilling to let the experts take the limelight and speak for themselves, but he hasn't been scrimping on the money.

Now quit talking down to us!
Old Jul 5th 2020, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you picked up that Canada had it’s AAA debt rating cut and Ontario’s debt rating is not great.
Yes, I did - thanks.

On 24th June 2020, ONE agency (Fitch) cut the rating for Canada to AA+ with a 'Stable' outlook.

On 27th March 2020, Fitch cut the rating for UK to AA- with a 'Negative' outlook.

Food for thought.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Shame he is not telling us what the UK's ratings are so if interested here they are

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/rating

Fitch cuts UK credit rating to AA-

Agency says government borrowing levels are set to rise and outlook remains negative for Britain’s sovereign debt score
https://www.theguardian.com/business...-rating-to-aa-

glass houses stones
Old Jul 5th 2020, 10:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Shame he is not telling us what the UK's ratings are so if interested here they are

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/rating

Fitch cuts UK credit rating to AA-

Agency says government borrowing levels are set to rise and outlook remains negative for Britain’s sovereign debt score
https://www.theguardian.com/business...-rating-to-aa-

glass houses stones

The British economy will be a disaster due to Brexit. One might still want to move to the UK but it'll be grim.

Old Jul 5th 2020, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Remember this, our perspectives of Canada differ, and our experiences in Canada, our success or lack of success all play a role in how we view Canada, this doesn't make Canada neither the best or the worst place to be, its just one of many countries on this planet.

Old Jul 5th 2020, 11:54 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I never said the economy will collapse. I do know that at some point probably in the not to distant future that Canadians will need to deleverage and the housing market will need to correct. This is simple economics. Prices cannot rise indefinitely and have become completely detached from wages. Credit cycles and delevaraging are natural cycles which Canada hasn’t had in 20 years!!! It’s inevitable and will likely be fairly painful given the sky high debt levels. Debt does not magically disappear!

I don’t want to move anywhere within Canada period. I want to live in the UK to be close to my family and be able to travel within Europe and the UK

thanks for the best wishes and yes we do have a lot of things to work through. This is the problem many of us face when we marry someone from a different country. People’s priorities and views change over time. Mulybwife 10 to 15 years ago would of loved to the UK in a heartbeat but now doesn’t want to as her parents are getting older and she gets to see them regularly. I just know that as time goes by and kids get older it will become a more difficult prospect.
you are not miss in England, you are missing your family and the life you imagine you would have there. You talk of Canada's economy collapsing service read the same about the UK economy .

I was very unhappy here for many years which I never understood as I wanted to be here. Then I took the somewhat abrasive advice from this forum which was essentially " Suck it up Buttercup" " quit yer bellyaching". .
You're here, move forward. You can never go back in time, seriously. Just get on with it.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
you are not miss in England, you are missing your family and the life you imagine you would have there. You talk of Canada's economy collapsing service read the same about the UK economy .

I was very unhappy here for many years which I never understood as I wanted to be here. Then I took the somewhat abrasive advice from this forum which was essentially " Suck it up Buttercup" " quit yer bellyaching". .
You're here, move forward. You can never go back in time, seriously. Just get on with it.
We are an adorable bunch.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

vagabonding is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bats

i agree with you and needed to hear that. Thanks for putting up with my moan.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 4:00 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with you and needed to hear that. Thanks for putting up with my moan.
You're welcome
Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Having recently arrived in Canada (2018), I can agree that cost of living is not cheap, especially in Toronto. Car insurance, Mobil contracts and internet access are expensive here compared to the 🇬🇧, but utilities, ⛽ and car 🚙 prices are cheaper. Food and clothing are similar. What is different is people's attitudes. The 🇬🇧 is very polaraized now with Brexit and rich v poor in society. Canada is more tolerant in my opinion and I have no regrets moving here after spending most of my life in Europe. UK 44 years, Germany 6 years, USA 3 years, Belgium and Sweden 1 year each.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:47 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
Having recently arrived in Canada (2018), I can agree that cost of living is not cheap, especially in Toronto. Car insurance, Mobil contracts and internet access are expensive here compared to the 🇬🇧, but utilities, ⛽ and car 🚙 prices are cheaper. Food and clothing are similar. What is different is people's attitudes. The 🇬🇧 is very polaraized now with Brexit and rich v poor in society. Canada is more tolerant in my opinion and I have no regrets moving here after spending most of my life in Europe. UK 44 years, Germany 6 years, USA 3 years, Belgium and Sweden 1 year each.
I think that's what I liked about Toronto. There's a mix of everyone from everywhere and as a result most people just seem to embrace it and get along. This is in contrast to the UK and parts of Europe where the non-native community will normally be from a handful of countries (e.g. Pakistan and Bangladesh in the UK, North Africa in France and Turkey in Germany). I don't think anywhere in Europe outside of London has that level of integration and I'd go so far to say that not even London is on par with Toronto.

The only notable exception to that in Toronto is the Chinese community however they largely seemed to keep themselves similar to how they do in other parts of Canada.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 5:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost

The only notable exception to that in Toronto is the Chinese community however they largely seemed to keep themselves similar to how they do in other parts of Canada.

I don't know that that's fair. There are, of course, Chinese people living close to one another in areas where enough Chinese is spoken that the older Chinese don't need to learn English. But that's also true of Indians, Italians,, Portuguese and various other groups. There are politicians of Chinese extraction and lots of half Chinese people so I don't know that the Chinese in Toronto are more separate from the mainstream than, say, Ukrainians in Toronto.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know that that's fair.
Agreed.

I don't know that the Chinese in Toronto are more separate from the mainstream than, say, Ukrainians in Toronto.
Well, they probably are at the moment, but not in any bad or unsurprising way. Rather, that degree of cultural separation is a natural function of how large the recent Chinese immigrant intake has been in Canada, and therefore proportionally how many are first- or second-generation Canadians, vs third- or fourth-generation ones. By contrast, the big influx of direct Ukrainian immigration to Canada occurred in 1895 - 1914. (My great-grandmother was enticed to emigrate because she'd heard from a relative that Canadian ladies spent their time in their parlours wearing white-lace gloves, while maids did the housework. She soon learned which role a recent Ukrainian immigrant girl would have in that scenario. But it all came good in the end.)

The best thing about Canada is the repeated way in which well-founded romance has often transcended--and then altered, and then removed--perceived barriers to mixing ethnicity, class, religion and (more recently) gender roles. And, watching both the families involved, and the nation, generally emerge stronger as a result. My wider family grew from Confederation-era (1860ish) German/Irish roots, literate but poor, to encompass, 160 years later, branches from China, England, France, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, the Ukraine, and most recently Australia. Several of the "diverse" marriages involved along the way (all quaintly so in current terms, but these were 40 - 140 years ago) raised eyebrows at the time, but endured and prospered nonetheless. In some cases they led, but in others just reflected, the increasing diversity and (relative) tolerance in Canada over time.

Last edited by abner; Jul 15th 2020 at 10:44 am.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Well, people don't live here for the scenery or the climate. so if it's not cheap there's really no point to being here. I'd be cautious though about moving to the UK just before Brexit
Really? Thats the exact reasons I am here, and what keeps me here! The scenary and the climate! But then I really enjoy the outdoors and Canada really is one of the best back yard playgrounds in the world... its noted for it. I couldnt dream of doing what I do now in the UK, that lifestyle is what drew me here... on top of my personal reasons for leaving the UK.

Love the seasons here, southern Ontario has a very balanced climate ... 4 months of summer, 4 months of winter, and 4 months of inbetween weather.

Sadly its a lot more expensive here now....cost of living wise, when I first moved here it was definitely cheaper than the UK, but now unfortunately its the other way around....not sure what went wrong there.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.