Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living - Ontario

Cost of Living - Ontario

Old Jul 28th 2020, 7:55 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 10
RossendaleValley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Living - Ontario

Hello there,

I have been a big fan of this forum for the insightful and forthcoming community supporting it to date so finally reaching out for some advice.

We are a family of 6 (2 adults and 4 kids) and currently live in Lancashire, UK.

We are considering a possible move to Canada but before we do that, I need a true sense of cost of living so we are sure that we are not going to be worse off and putting ourselves in any form of financial distress. As such the move will have to be on a like for like basis. Sorry if I feel like I want to have my cake and eat it, but it’s a tough decision and I am being cautious as we have lots to give up here as we are well settled and enjoy a decent standard of living.

Therefore what I want to know is an itemised list of house hold expenditure based on a family of 6 people (2 adults and 4 kids) living in a 4 bedroom detached house in a decent suburb near Toronto.

can you please help populate the monthly expense list below:

Property Tax
Gas
Electricity
Water
Internet
TV Subscriptions
Mobile Phone (2 adults)
Home Insurance
Car Insurance
Petrol
Road Tax
Car Service/MOT (monthly average)

Costs I have assumed:

Family Entertainment - $350 (recreational activities over the weekends)
Groceries - $750 (assumed)
Mortgage - $1,900 (using online tools)


I appreciate this information may already be on some of the earlier threads but I haven’t been able to find anything itemised and would welcome a more recent up to date view.

Look forward to hearing back.

Regards,



RossendaleValley is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 8:25 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,250
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

As always you need to ask yourself why you want to move if you already have a decent life. You are basically swapping streets and houses for more streets and houses if you end up near Toronto and then what about hidden costs (Holidays)? Can't help with costs but there was a thread recently https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana...ntario-933474/
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 8:33 am
  #3  
Part Time Poster
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 4,219
MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Cost of living will vary depending on location, Toronto is expensive therefore how near are you talking, Brampton Mississauga, or Guelph Kitchener would you go north to Orangeville, Newmarket or even Barry

Do you intend to work down town or just close enough to occasional shop visit

MikeUK is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:36 am
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 29,633
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Your groceries figure looks too low for me for a family of 6 (at least if they're anything like my kids and seem to eat twice as much as me!).

Your entertainment figure also looks low, but depends on what your kids like to do - if all 4 of them want to do lots of extra-curricular stuff then I don't think that's going to be enough, if you're just talking the odd day out then it would be fine. Is your mortgage figure for a 'normal' Canadian mortgage i.e. for somebody with Canadian credit history? Your rates may be higher as a newcomer, although I assume you've got a large deposit with the amount you've quoted for monthly payments on a 4 bed.

Rather than costing certain things up, and possibly forgetting others that you might need to factor in, I'd give people an idea of what you'd hope to earn in Canada, and the area you wish to live in - then they can tell you if that's realistic or not for a family of 6.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 28th 2020 at 9:39 am.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 10:05 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 10
RossendaleValley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Originally Posted by MikeUK View Post
Cost of living will vary depending on location, Toronto is expensive therefore how near are you talking, Brampton Mississauga, or Guelph Kitchener would you go north to Orangeville, Newmarket or even Barry

Do you intend to work down town or just close enough to occasional shop visit
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply Mike.
I wouldn’t want to live in Toronto but ideally be a couple of hours drive away. So somewhere like Kingston would be good.
I would imagine the house hold expenses won’t vary drastically in Kingston to Toronto if you take mortgage out of the equation.
As for work, it won’t be downtown but close enough to where I end up.
Thanks
RossendaleValley is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 10:19 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 10
RossendaleValley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Your groceries figure looks too low for me for a family of 6 (at least if they're anything like my kids and seem to eat twice as much as me!).

Your entertainment figure also looks low, but depends on what your kids like to do - if all 4 of them want to do lots of extra-curricular stuff then I don't think that's going to be enough, if you're just talking the odd day out then it would be fine. Is your mortgage figure for a 'normal' Canadian mortgage i.e. for somebody with Canadian credit history? Your rates may be higher as a newcomer, although I assume you've got a large deposit with the amount you've quoted for monthly payments on a 4 bed.

Rather than costing certain things up, and possibly forgetting others that you might need to factor in, I'd give people an idea of what you'd hope to earn in Canada, and the area you wish to live in - then they can tell you if that's realistic or not for a family of 6.
Hello - I have already don’t the research on income so I am aware of what I can expect to earn and the net monthly pay based on that. Therefore I now need to understand the different side of the equation and get a good understanding of cost of living and balance that with earning potential to conclude if it is financially viable.
RossendaleValley is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 11:14 am
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 29,633
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Originally Posted by RossendaleValley View Post
Hello - I have already don’t the research on income so I am aware of what I can expect to earn and the net monthly pay based on that. Therefore I now need to understand the different side of the equation and get a good understanding of cost of living and balance that with earning potential to conclude if it is financially viable.
That's my suggestion - that you share the expectation of what you think you can earn, and then those in the know will tell you if it's enough to sustain a family of 6 and a 4 bed house. People are much more likely to respond to that and give their views, than to dig out their bank statements and itemise every item on their monthly bills, so it may just be an easier way of you working out if it's realistic or not.

You've looked in to visas as a first step and checked you're eligible for one before looking at cost of living etc? Will you be on a visa that will allow your wife to work if needed, or will yours be in the only income?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 28th 2020 at 11:49 am.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 11:17 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Hurlabrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,350
Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

No such thing as an MOT, so no cost there
Internet $50 pm (Start)
TV $60 pm (Start TV)
Car tax sticker (only car tax there is) $120 pa

....all figures add 13% for HST (ON equivalent of VAT) - all sticker prices over here do NOT include this, it is added at checkout

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Jul 28th 2020 at 11:23 am.
Hurlabrick is online now  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 12:03 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Orton, Ontario
Posts: 1,874
HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

comments added

Originally Posted by RossendaleValley View Post
Hello there,

I have been a big fan of this forum for the insightful and forthcoming community supporting it to date so finally reaching out for some advice.

We are a family of 6 (2 adults and 4 kids) and currently live in Lancashire, UK.

We are considering a possible move to Canada but before we do that, I need a true sense of cost of living so we are sure that we are not going to be worse off and putting ourselves in any form of financial distress. As such the move will have to be on a like for like basis. Sorry if I feel like I want to have my cake and eat it, but it’s a tough decision and I am being cautious as we have lots to give up here as we are well settled and enjoy a decent standard of living.

Therefore what I want to know is an itemised list of house hold expenditure based on a family of 6 people (2 adults and 4 kids) living in a 4 bedroom detached house in a decent suburb near Toronto.

can you please help populate the monthly expense list below:

Property Tax - depends on value of house and town you are in. We lived in a nice part of Oakville and our taxes were $11k per annum, we moved to the country and now pay just over $3k pa.
Gas - no gas connection so use propane. Not a fair comparison, so leaving it out.
Electricity - between $100 and $180 pm depending on time of year. Ours is more expensive because of rural location.
Water - we have a well
Internet - about $80 pm for crappy service, because we are in a rural area
TV Subscriptions - none
Mobile Phone (2 adults) - again depends on what you need. I have 2gb data, unlimited Canada wide talk and text for $65 pm
Home Insurance - $1800-2200pa
Car Insurance - expensive for newcomers - budget for $2-3k pa.
Petrol - depends on how far you drive. We both work mostly from home, can go weeks without putting any petrol in either vehicle.
Road Tax - also depends on location, $120 southern Ontario, $60 in the North.
Car Service/MOT (monthly average) - oil changes are reasonably cheap, about $60-80 for the oil change and a good check over the car.

Costs I have assumed:

Family Entertainment - $350 (recreational activities over the weekends) - with 4 kids I think this is low, especially if they want to do organised sport.
Groceries - $750 (assumed) - Low I think. I spend approximately this much for 2 of us and we grow a lot of our own stuff.
Mortgage - $1,900 (using online tools)


I appreciate this information may already be on some of the earlier threads but I haven’t been able to find anything itemised and would welcome a more recent up to date view.

Look forward to hearing back.

Regards,
HGerchikov is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 12:25 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 10
RossendaleValley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Originally Posted by HGerchikov View Post
comments added
Thanks a lot for your message, very helpful indeed.

regards
RossendaleValley is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 12:28 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Partially discharged's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3,144
Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Originally Posted by HGerchikov View Post
comments added
$11K per year for property taxes in Oakville Did the bin men leave you ermine lined bin liners when they took your full bin bags away from you That alone would make me question living in a place.
Partially discharged is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 12:31 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 10
RossendaleValley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
That's my suggestion - that you share the expectation of what you think you can earn, and then those in the know will tell you if it's enough to sustain a family of 6 and a 4 bed house. People are much more likely to respond to that and give their views, than to dig out their bank statements and itemise every item on their monthly bills, so it may just be an easier way of you working out if it's realistic or not.

You've looked in to visas as a first step and checked you're eligible for one before looking at cost of living etc? Will you be on a visa that will allow your wife to work if needed, or will yours be in the only income?
Yes have checked visa related issues so all good there.

As a guide, I feel I should be able to earn CAD 140-150k and will be looking at places like Kingston for instance to live and work in and definitely not Toronto.

But I am not convinced that is enough to maintain a good lifestyle based on the feedback on cost of living I have received so far.

Thanks for your responses so far.

Regards
RossendaleValley is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 12:43 pm
  #13  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 29,633
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Originally Posted by RossendaleValley View Post
Yes have checked visa related issues so all good there.

As a guide, I feel I should be able to earn CAD 140-150k and will be looking at places like Kingston for instance to live and work in and definitely not Toronto.

But I am not convinced that is enough to maintain a good lifestyle based on the feedback on cost of living I have received so far.
I'm not sure that would give a family of 6 a lifestyle worth emigrating for, but those in the area will be able to advise. As a rough guide, it's said on the forums that to give you an equivalent lifestyle in Canada you'd need 1.8 times your UK salary - so if your salary is £77k or less in the UK, the $140k should give you a similar lifestyle.

You'll also need to factor in the huge cost of moving your family and setting up home in Canada, that can take quite a while to recoup even for a single person, never mind a family of 6! So you may want/hope for an increase in salary to make some of that back too.

Best of luck to you.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 1:01 pm
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
Hurlabrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,350
Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Here in London, ON our 1650 sq ft ranch bungalow (4 bed / 2 bath above grade) costs $490 pm (incl HST) for local taxes.

Regrettably NOT Ermine lined like they do for the hoity touties in Oakville!
Hurlabrick is online now  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 1:04 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Hurlabrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,350
Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
I'm not sure that would give a family of 6 a lifestyle worth emigrating for, but those in the area will be able to advise. As a rough guide, it's said on the forums that to give you an equivalent lifestyle in Canada you'd need 1.8 times your UK salary - so if your salary is £77k or less in the UK, the $140k should give you a similar lifestyle.

You'll also need to factor in the huge cost of moving your family and setting up home in Canada, that can take quite a while to recoup even for a single person, never mind a family of 6! So you may want/hope for an increase in salary to make some of that back too.

Best of luck to you.
Probably the best guide for comparatives I have seen!

The itemised spreadsheet method?? That way lies madness....
Hurlabrick is online now  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.