Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living - Ontario

Cost of Living - Ontario

Old Jul 29th 2020, 1:29 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Originally Posted by dbd33
See also figure skating, horses, sailing, skiing. Swimming is, I think, the only pastime that's initially cheap and has profit potential (through lifeguarding, though again, transit or parental vehicle required).
And braces and maybe wisdom teeth extractions
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Just pray none of your 4 children want to play Iced Hockey.

That costs more than a college education with out any of the education.
It definitely comes with an education - just not the one you would choose.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

See also figure skating, horses, sailing, skiing. Swimming is, I think, the only pastime that's initially cheap and has profit potential (through lifeguarding, though again, transit or parental vehicle required).
One of my sons had a very profitable year working as a skating/hockey instructor at one of the Canlan icesports - well above minimum wage for doing what he loved.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 4:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
One of my sons had a very profitable year working as a skating/hockey instructor at one of the Canlan icesports - well above minimum wage for doing what he loved.
One of mine got paid to deliver sailing boats as well as to teach sailing, again well above minimum wage, but relative to the overall household expenditure on sailing over her lifetime, it was a drop in the ocean. I imagine the same is true of ice hockey instructor. In any case, the OPs children are likely too old to start on ice hockey or figure skating competitively.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

One of mine got paid to deliver sailing boats as well as to teach sailing, again well above minimum wage, but relative to the overall household expenditure on sailing over her lifetime, it was a drop in the ocean. I imagine the same is true of ice hockey instructor. In any case, the OPs children are likely too old to start on ice hockey or figure skating competitively.
Not necessarily - David Levin who was selected 1st overall in the OHL draft in 2015 didn't start playing until 2012. However you are correct that the money earned teaching that year was something of a drop in the ocean compared to the tens of thousands we probably spent. I do have friends whose kids own and operate hockey schools - it can be lucrative. Apologies to the OP for the thread drift. The message to you in this is that organized sport here is expensive. One of my hockey playing sons did ballet for a couple of years and I suspect that might have been worse had he stuck with it.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 7:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Not necessarily - David Levin who was selected 1st overall in the OHL draft in 2015 didn't start playing until 2012. However you are correct that the money earned teaching that year was something of a drop in the ocean compared to the tens of thousands we probably spent. I do have friends whose kids own and operate hockey schools - it can be lucrative. Apologies to the OP for the thread drift. The message to you in this is that organized sport here is expensive. One of my hockey playing sons did ballet for a couple of years and I suspect that might have been worse had he stuck with it.
One of my daughters' contemporaries got into Brown on the strength of her ice hockey, I don't know if it was a free ride but even paid admission is a considerable return on the parental investment so I know it can sometimes work out. That said I have a friend who works in student placement. For a percentage, he negotiates university places on behalf of student athletes. He suggests that tennis is the bang for the buck sport in terms of coaching costs vs. return at the college level. Shame we can't choose what they're going to be good at.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 12:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my daughters' contemporaries got into Brown on the strength of her ice hockey, I don't know if it was a free ride but even paid admission is a considerable return on the parental investment so I know it can sometimes work out. That said I have a friend who works in student placement. For a percentage, he negotiates university places on behalf of student athletes. He suggests that tennis is the bang for the buck sport in terms of coaching costs vs. return at the college level. Shame we can't choose what they're going to be good at.
Life would be so much easier if everyone could just choose what they want to be good at....

Old Jul 30th 2020, 10:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
No such thing as an MOT, so no cost there
Internet $50 pm (Start)
TV $60 pm (Start TV)
Car tax sticker (only car tax there is) $120 pa

....all figures add 13% for HST (ON equivalent of VAT) - all sticker prices over here do NOT include this, it is added at checkout
The MOT is called a safety inspection. It is not mandatory the same way as the MOT but if your car is older than 2 years old it ought to be done annually. Usually about $100.

Old Jul 30th 2020, 2:13 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
The MOT is called a safety inspection. It is not mandatory the same way as the MOT but if your car is older than 2 years old it ought to be done annually. Usually about $100.
First I've heard of the safety test and I've had my 2007 Civic for 10 years.

The costs you are all missing is the need for two sets of tires and that require switching twice a year. Then there is the cost of windshield cleaner if you are a frequent driver in the winter. Add the many potholes that knock a cars wheel alignment out, the worse driving and higher car insurance and a car all round costs more to keep on the road so the fuel savings are quickly eradicated.

Last edited by JamesM; Jul 30th 2020 at 2:15 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 2:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The costs you are all missing is the need for two sets of tires and that require switching twice a year. Then there is the cost of windshield cleaner if you are a frequent driver in the winter. Add the many potholes that knock a cars wheel alignment out, the worse driving and higher car insurance and a car all round costs more to keep on the road so the fuel savings are quickly eradicated.
The OP is considering a semi-rural location so that means gravel roads, paint chips, ingress of salt and raid vehicular disintegration. Granted safety standards are minimal so one can drive with big holes in the bodywork but still I was amazed at being able to stick a foot through the holes in the VW at five years/250,000km. In the UK people can get 9 years out of a car.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

It is only required in Ontario after a change of ownership. You could buy a car new, keep it until it falls to bits and never need a safety inspection. I don't doubt for a second that I am in tiny minority.

Good points regarding the other costs of car ownership. Most people here in Windsor don't bother with winter tyres. For the most part you can get away with it. I personally think that it should be the law. I know that it is expensive but they can be the difference between being here to complain about it or not.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, an additional (but optional) car cost would also be the cost of Krown anti-rust treatment every year - about $220 pa.

I do this, but judging by the rust on most cars, most people don't.

I can't say I have come across anyone who volunteers annually (or any other interval for that matter) for a formal car safety check.