Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living - Ontario

Cost of Living - Ontario

Old Jul 28th 2020, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Ontario

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
$11K per year for property taxes in Oakville Did the bin men leave you ermine lined bin liners when they took your full bin bags away from you That alone would make me question living in a place.
It was quite a big factor in why we moved, the bill used to bring tears to my husband's eyes. The problem was we lived in the area where the older homes kept being replaced by mega mansions, therefore the average price on the street kept going up and up not just with the regular increases but because the houses themselves were bigger. This impacted our assessed value and the taxes got out of control, house went on the market 2 days after youngest son left for Uni.
The property we are in now is actually bigger than the house in Oakville with much more land, quite a bit is conservation land and the rest is farmed giving us two quite substantial reductions in our taxes. So instead of paying $1100 per month over 10 months it's now just under $900 a quarter.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RossendaleValley
But I am not convinced that is enough to maintain a good lifestyle based on the feedback on cost of living I have received so far.
Is your potential move just lifestyle-based, in the immediate income vs costs sense? Or more strategic, in a career-development, or future family opportunity sense?
Old Jul 28th 2020, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

RossendaleValley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by abner
Is your potential move just lifestyle-based, in the immediate income vs costs sense? Or more strategic, in a career-development, or future family opportunity sense?
the motive is certainly around a better lifestyle and future opportunities for the kids. So not so much of a financial gain of career progression prospect either. But cannot do that if it comes with financial distress given we are very comfortable and with another 18 years to retirement, it can only get better I hope. But it’s great to know if it can actually work out better in Canada in the long run. But so far it feels like I have more to lose including generous 30 days holiday, 20% employer pension contribution, comparatively cheaper groceries with a plethora of choice to name a few thinge.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 1:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
comments added
That was an eye-opener! I knew from previous threads that Canada isn't a 'cheap' country to live in, but I didn't realise how expensive it actually is to live in some areas. It's mainly the property taxes that frighten me
Old Jul 28th 2020, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

the motive is certainly around a better lifestyle and future opportunities for the kids. So not so much of a financial gain of career progression prospect either. But cannot do that if it comes with financial distress given we are very comfortable and with another 18 years to retirement, it can only get better I hope. But it’s great to know if it can actually work out better in Canada in the long run. But so far it feels like I have more to lose including generous 30 days holiday, 20% employer pension contribution, comparatively cheaper groceries with a plethora of choice to name a few thinge.
Why do you think future opportunities for your kids will be better here? I am going to add that the move to Canada has been a great one for our family, the lifestyle really suited my boys and they are doing very well (one of them actually in Kingston at the moment and he really loves the place). The fact that we moved away from all our family and long term friends meant that we could and did focus a lot of our time and energy on letting them do whatever they wanted in terms of activities - they both played (ice) hockey which at the higher levels of play is eye-wateringly expensive. This gave them the opportunity to do things that they never would have had, had we stayed in the UK (not that the opportunities don't exist there but with family commitments, seeing friends at weekends etc.. we just wouldn't have got involved). So, yes I think the different family mindset can open up more opportunities for children, however I am not so convinced anything about Canada itself does.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 3:07 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That was an eye-opener! I knew from previous threads that Canada isn't a 'cheap' country to live in, but I didn't realise how expensive it actually is to live in some areas. It's mainly the property taxes that frighten me
It's not just major cities where property taxes can sting - my last home in Kamloops, BC (pop. c90,000) had a property tax of $8,000 p/a. Living rurally outside of city limits was far more affordable (85% lower), but home insurance was expensive as there was no fire coverage, and of course amenities like gas, water and sewerage were the home owners to deal with.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 3:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
It's not just major cities where property taxes can sting - my last home in Kamloops, BC (pop. c90,000) had a property tax of $8,000 p/a. Living rurally outside of city limits was far more affordable (85% lower), but home insurance was expensive as there was no fire coverage, and of course amenities like gas, water and sewerage were the home owners to deal with.
If it's not taking the thread too far off course Rich, what does property taxes cover in terms of services?
Old Jul 28th 2020, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

If it's not taking the thread too far off course Rich, what does property taxes cover in terms of services?
Things like firefighters, schools, local police, libraries, garbage collection (depending on location, some rural areas don't get a collection).
Old Jul 28th 2020, 3:46 pm
Concierge

Things like firefighters, schools, local police, libraries, garbage collection (depending on location, some rural areas don't get a collection).
Thanks That puts the cost into perspective for me, it covers a lot of services.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

..add to that: road repairs, snow clearance from key roads, road gritting, road sweeping (in summer to clear the accumulated grit)
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:39 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to what’s been said, when on rural acreage, we didn’t get:
  • garbage collection
  • postal delivery service
  • cable tv or cable/fibre internet (satellite only)
  • fire coverage
  • mains gas, water or sewerage
  • municipal snow ploughing
  • street lighting
  • sealed roads
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by R I C H
Just to add to what’s been said, when on rural acreage, we didn’t get:
  • garbage collection
  • postal delivery service
  • cable tv or cable/fibre internet (satellite only)
  • fire coverage
  • mains gas, water or sewerage
  • municipal snow ploughing
  • street lighting
  • sealed roads
Thank you everyone for your inputs so far. It’s remarkable what you don’t know even when it’s comes to day to day living. This has really made me consider my options more carefully now especially as some of the costs quoted here seem way out of proportion when compared to what we pay here in UK especially insurance and council/property tax. For instance my home and car insurance combined is £650 for the year and the council tax is only £1,250 for the year.
I will continue my fact find until I get conclusive enough feedback and hope to make the right choices.
the upshot for me was the bigger better lifestyle, lovely landscape and great exposure and future opportunities for kids.
Thanks everyone who has contributed so far.
Regards
Old Jul 28th 2020, 7:12 pm
Concierge

Thank you everyone for your inputs so far. It’s remarkable what you don’t know even when it’s comes to day to day living. This has really made me consider my options more carefully now especially as some of the costs quoted here seem way out of proportion when compared to what we pay here in UK especially insurance and council/property tax. For instance my home and car insurance combined is £650 for the year and the council tax is only £1,250 for the year.
I will continue my fact find until I get conclusive enough feedback and hope to make the right choices.
the upshot for me was the bigger better lifestyle, lovely landscape and great exposure and future opportunities for kids.
Regards
Make sure you're not comparing apples with oranges when looking at things like taxes though. It may be that while you pay higher property/council tax in Canada compared to the UK, you may have lower income tax rates in the UK, or have a higher personal tax allowance.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
In reality the bigger better lifestyle can also be found close to home too and not everyone in Canada lives the rural dream. No doubt for those skiing and snowboarding it can offer far more but for those who don't want to drive 3 hours for a hike in Europe won't suddenly climb a different mountain every weekend. For the money spent on the move alone you could go to Monte Perdido National Park for long weekends until the kids are teenagers or buy a campervan and explore the lovely landscape close by. Drove to the beach last weekend and apart from a few people empty and the same near the mountains.

Old Jul 28th 2020, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
In reality the bigger better lifestyle can also be found close to home too and not everyone in Canada lives the rural dream. No doubt for those skiing and snowboarding it can offer far more but for those who don't want to drive 3 hours for a hike in Europe won't suddenly climb a different mountain every weekend. For the money spent on the move alone you could go to Monte Perdido National Park for long weekends until the kids are teenagers or buy a campervan and explore the lovely landscape close by. Drove to the beach last weekend and apart from a few people empty and the same near the mountains.
well said and as the quote says “happiness is journey, not a destination”
sigh! The search continues...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.