Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living - monthly outgoings

Cost of Living - monthly outgoings

Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:21 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - monthly outgoings

Originally Posted by dbd33
Aren't you going to Toronto? Almost any food (with the exception of Mexican) is available at either the St. Lawrence or Kensington market.
Sorry........i read it too quick.......i`m calm now !
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:26 pm
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

Originally Posted by val50
not to mention fresh vegetables and fruit
Sorry totally confused

I saw a fantastic selection of Fruit and Veg everywhere I went in NS and organic stuff,

I find it very disappointing in France,with it's FRESH selection, Allot of French grow their own, sorry not for me.......I am not the green fingered type.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishsamx
When are people going to realise that the average meal you get in a bar/restaurant in OUR part of France anyway is peasant food, yes peasant food, pizza, sausage, fatty faux steak or a runny cheese omelette served with frozen fries and no side salad.......................................
My former parents in law, who are peasant farmers, would be aghast and the idea that they eat that shit. What they mostly eat are local vegetables, backyard chickens, fresh eggs, fresh bread, soups, cheese and wine. Wine, a fluid so cheap in France that people can cook with it rather than serving it in thimbles as we have to here.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to behold

Sorry totally confused

I saw a fantastic selection of Fruit and Veg everywhere I went in NS and organic stuff,

I find it very disappointing in France,with it's FRESH selection, Allot of French grow their own, sorry not for me.......I am not the green fingered type.

Many Nova Scotians grow their own fruit & Veg (up here) to ensure they get the quality of food they need. Locals round here who don't, just accept what there is in the store

NG
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:34 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

rather than serving it in thimbles as we have to here.
Does that explain the tiny pink bottle from your Blog ?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
Does that explain the tiny pink bottle from your Blog ?
Ha, nope that's the current OH's family. Also ferocious wine consumers in a country where it's cheap enough not to worry.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to behold

The idea of moving from France to Canada for the food might be the most preposterous yet advanced on this board. How many Michelin starred poutine stands are there in NS?

NG
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry, could you enlighten me on what goods, she could'nt get, I would really like to know.

I live in France, I could write a book on the subject
I'm sorry but if you think there are things you can't get in France, then you are in for a real shock when you move to NS. As someone said earlier, if you are going to make comments, then make sure they are accurate.
We also thought we'd done our research and knew what we were coming to when my OH accepted his job in NS. However, we were totally taken by surprise when we actually moved here.
Our water, electricity, fuels bills are more than double what they were in France. I have the bills to prove it.
Don't get me started on car prices and insurance in NS either. Treble what we paid in France.
We miss being able to go fresh food, rather than the stuff that is shipped in and stale or processed. Eating out in France is much cheaper than in NS - it is standard where we are in Normandy to get a 3 course meal with wine for 12 euros or less. It is certainly not peasant food, fresh and tasty. I went out on Friday night in NS, nothing fancy and only Coke to drink, but for just a main course the bill was C$15. I wouldn't buy T-bone steak here in NS - 3 for C$30 at the moment in our local Superstore.
If you are self-employed then holidays are going to be a issue where ever you live. My OH got 12 days extra a year in France because he was expected to work a 40 hour week instead of a 35 hour week. Here, he is not allowed to take more than one week of his 3 weeks allowance at a time. Many people don't even take their full allowance of those 3 weeks.
Personal tax (especially if you have children) is much lower in France than it is in NS. Our tax d'habitation and tax fonciere were a quarter of what we pay in NS. Our fuel bill in NS has just gone up from C$250 a month to C$350 Social contributions are higher in France, but you get what you pay for - again if you have children your monthly child benefit payments are really good. University education is still free in France, and if you are members of a mutuelle then you can claim back the amount you have to pay for medical treatment. We have a plan here in NS, but many things aren't covered and those that are, we only get 80% back.
I think if you are unhappy where you live you will always focus on the negatives. Hopefully when you make the move, they get left behind and you don't take them with you. I would really suggest you read threads from members who've lived in NS for a few years though, and can give you a true perspective of what family life is like here.

Last edited by val50; Aug 12th 2008 at 3:43 pm. Reason: added comment
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:42 pm
NEMESIS

Ha, nope that's the current OH's family. Also ferocious wine consumers in a country where it's cheap enough not to worry.
I drink a fair bit of wine and now i`m beginning to worry that its going to be a luxury rather than a treat (thats a treat i have every day)
I pay about £8 for a bottle of yellow label Cab Sauv ! I hope its not going to cost more than that in TO !
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
I drink a fair bit of wine and now i`m beginning to worry that its going to be a luxury rather than a treat (thats a treat i have every day)
I pay about £8 for a bottle of yellow label Cab Sauv ! I hope its not going to cost more than that in TO !
The Wolf Blass cab is $17, the McWilliams $14. Not that I drink much Australian.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:51 pm
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

My former parents in law, who are peasant farmers, would be aghast and the idea that they eat that shit. What they mostly eat are local vegetables, backyard chickens, fresh eggs, fresh bread, soups, cheese and wine. Wine, a fluid so cheap in France that people can cook with it rather than serving it in thimbles as we have to here.
My Grandparents were french and I expect ate the very same stuff.
Those were the days.
can't live on Wine alone though aye?

Look different strokes for different folks,

With that.........

THE END
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I do know people who are trying to survive on much less than that (say below $55k total family income) have found it very hard to make ends meet so if your OH isnt expecting to earn over that level you would probably need a job (at least part-time) too.

we survive on just less than that but there are only 2 of us and we have to watch every penny, although we do have a mortgage.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NSpaul
The main reason the landlord paus the property tax and not the tenant is that here the Municipality (Council) have the right to sell your house at auction if you have unpaid property taxes to recover what you owe! Therefore few landlords would wish to trust their tenants to pay the property taxes for them!
Mortgage companys have the right to repossess in order to pay taxes to the municipality, it is a standard term in your purchase contract. every year I have to prove to my mortgage company that I am up to date.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:03 pm
NEMESIS

The Wolf Blass cab is $17, the McWilliams $14. Not that I drink much Australian.
Thats about the same price then ! Can you recommend any good Canadian wines that are good value (or any countries wine for that matter)
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by val50
I think if you are unhappy where you live you will always focus on the negatives.
Sorry Val, I think you should be looking at your own life!! I have never heard so many negatives from one person, you must really hate it there.

I have spoken to many NS locals and expats and still the good points our way the bad. On the whole I prefer to take the chance.

Don't worry I am big and old enough to make my own decisions, I am not afraid of making a mistake. I would'nt have moved to France, if I was.

That's all I have to say on the matter as I am quite busy thankyou!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.