Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Halifax, NS

Wikiposts

Cost of living in Halifax, NS

Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:57 am
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I believe that you can come here with next to nothing and make it happen. I know of people that have done exactly that BUT they werent leaving just to leave the UK due to the "its gone to the dogs" viewpoint but rather because they
a) wanted to be here BIG TIME, the UK could be amazing and they still wanted to live here and/or

b) They had a job to come to. I do know of a family of 5 who bought a spacious home and survive on $50k a year income. They dont have the childcare costs though as one stays home. They are no rolling in it by any means but they enjoy life.

Theres a lot here thats free - beaches etc but money is necessary, obviously...
I have to say for you to suggest that it's 'doable' to move ANYWHERE let alone NS where there is a huge unemployment issue is totally dangerous!

We've been here now for 4.5 years and wished we hadn't. I think you should be very careful before you make those kind of suggestions

The other thing I don't understand is how on earth you can feed a family of 4 on that amount each week?? Very unrealistic. Food is extremely expensive here and not just healthy food either, crap food is expensive too. We eat really well and there is NO WAY we can spend that amount with toiletries and such like added to the bill.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:10 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You're not going to get exact figures, everyone's circumstances, tastes, expectations and expenses are different. You'll have to take anything you read as being an approximation.

So, you need to find out the costs associated with this and budget that overhead into the equation too.

Depends - does the rent include utilities or not? What else would you need? - TV, telephone and internet? Those are unlikely to be included, and the cost is going to be determined by the package you choose.

Depends - will your no claims bonus be accepted or not? What's your risk tolerance - basic or comprehensive cover? Figure on $1000 upwards.

I've no kids, can't help you on that, but if I doubled my 2 person household grocery bill it'd be a minimum of $1,500 p/mth without buying anything fancy, or much alcohol.

No idea, sorry.

You're proposing moving here to earn one income, support a spouse in school, maybe have to run 2 cars so your wife can get to classes while you're working, and raise 2 kids that will need childcare (if you can find a job). If your own profession is unlikely to net you $4k per month I'd say stay in the UK and not gamble your future on such a risky move.
+1, above equates to approx $60k per annum, not an easy task in NS, depends on your line of work. The OP hasnt mentioned his line of work, he can get an idea of salarys per occupation using this tool, $28 an hour minimum if a 40 hr work week for the above annual income.

Also bear in mind health care, most employers offer this, but some dont and the likely reduction in annual leave time.

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/occ..._search-eng.do

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Mar 9th 2013 at 11:16 am. Reason: added a bit
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:26 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
those that live in NS, why did you move there (and I would like brutal honesty please.)
I had retired in UK, wanted a bit of adventure in the last third of my life, originally thought of moving to France but decided not to, got offered a well paid job before arriving in NS, had a decent financial cushion, loved the friendliness of the place, wanted to be close to the ocean.

In recent times on here, liking NS does not appear to be a very fashionable thing to do but I make no apologies for saying I like it here. Some people like it here, some people don't.....just in the same way some people like Southern England and some people don't.........life is full of personal choices and different experiences.......... Hopefully people thinking of emigrating to anywhere in the world will do a little more research than reading a few comments made in threads by expats
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:00 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmydean
I had retired in UK, wanted a bit of adventure in the last third of my life, originally thought of moving to France but decided not to, got offered a well paid job before arriving in NS, had a decent financial cushion, loved the friendliness of the place, wanted to be close to the ocean.

In recent times on here, liking NS does not appear to be a very fashionable thing to do but I make no apologies for saying I like it here. Some people like it here, some people don't.....just in the same way some people like Southern England and some people don't.........life is full of personal choices and different experiences.......... Hopefully people thinking of emigrating to anywhere in the world will do a little more research than reading a few comments made in threads by expats
Decent financial cushion ... I think that is the bottom line to nearly ALL moves ..
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Can I just ask those that live in NS, why did you move there (and I would like brutal honesty please.)

Because from everything I read, and have heard first hand from maritimers over here in AB, there are no jobs and the cost of living is high.

Did you move because it's one of the 'easier' provinces to get into and you can buy a big house for a lot less than anywhere else, and are now thinking "sh1t, what did we do"??????

And before you harp on about beaches and scenery, there are other provinces that have that, so what was the REAL reason for NS?
I moved here because I got offered a job here and my wage vs cost of living is fairly good. PR via PNP not possible for me in all provinces so NB was on the shortlist. I know you asked about NS but you did say Maritimes. We were put off Halifax by the house prices vs NB so that put NB ahead but it boiled down to the job offer materialized here first.

I think Halifax is a great city but dont really understand why its as expensive as it is compared to the rest of the Maritimes. Not worth it IMHO

As for the Beaches and scenery?? I lived in Bournemouth and spent many a summer in Cornwall and West Wales so not really impressed, is that really a reason to move anywhere unless you are retiring???

Last edited by scrubbedexpat133; Mar 9th 2013 at 1:24 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Bellanova
I have to say for you to suggest that it's 'doable' to move ANYWHERE let alone NS where there is a huge unemployment issue is totally dangerous!

We've been here now for 4.5 years and wished we hadn't. I think you should be very careful before you make those kind of suggestions
Yes and no. It really depends on if the OP can secure a decent paying job to come to. I thing that is the Key for them. If not and I was in his shoes I agree that its a huge risk for them and I would not do it.

But in my case I had £5k and 2 bags of clothes when I arrived and I'm doing fine. The difference?? I had me and my GF to worry about no kids. I had the job before we came and she had an open work permit and was open to doing any job that she could. We also had the attitude of if it does not work we can pack up and go home and its not the end of the world.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in NS for 18 months. We live in one of the most economically depressed towns in NS. But we both have very well paid jobs so its all good.

Would I want to do it on $50,000? Not sure... It can be done but that's a net of about $3000 which is not huge...

Do I want to live in NS forever? Not entirely convinced. I have a son in Halifax and another in Toronto. The other 2 still live with us. If they ended up all living in Toronto then I probably would follow...

Saying that if OHs job came to an end we would have to leave Yarmouth for sure and possibly/probably NS...
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:16 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing I don't understand is how on earth you can feed a family of 4 on that amount each week?? Very unrealistic. Food is extremely expensive here and not just healthy food either, crap food is expensive too. We eat really well and there is NO WAY we can spend that amount with toiletries and such like added to the bill.
I would have to ask the same question - I have lived in NS for 5 years now and my weekly food bill is between 250 and 260 - no matter what I do. We don't buy ready meals etc, it's meat, bread, fresh fruit and veg and I am not able to get my under this amount, even shopping with flyers.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:16 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

It always makes me laugh when I read how much bashing NS gets on here from people that dont even live here. Those that do and are unhappy are entitled to think that.
We had this conversation last night with our Canadian friends who came here on a job relocation from Calgary. I asked why people have this "NS is asshole of Canada" view in the context of "Do I not have it because I just dont know any differnt, this is the only place I have lived" and he said "They have it because THEY dont know any different"

This is a nice place, yes its expensive and that irritates me in the same way as it irritates everyone else. But we now both have good jobs, we were careful not to become house poor and we had built a great financial cushion in the UK by the choices we had made. But we built that cushion by buying and selling property at the right time, not everyone has that option, certainly not anymore. I would never tell anyone not to try something that they really want to do in their own lives. Its their risk to take and own.

I like the ambience, the place, I like Halifax as a little city.

I believe that you can move anywhere if you really want to, but I do believe that people posting on here are adults who are capable of making a judgement call based on their own personal circumstances. I put honest figures to the costs that we face, to help enable that decision.

So in answer to those asking for brutal honesty - we chose this place for its location and its ambience. We chose it for the people and we are glad we did. Yes we have had ups and downs but we would have probably had those anywhere. There are many that move West and will be glad for it, but there are many that go West that then come home and say they couldnt wait to get back, they hated where they went to.

Everyone is entitled to enjoy living somewhere without having to justify it constantly to people that dont live here and dont live in your personal life.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:21 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I would have to ask the same question - I have lived in NS for 5 years now and my weekly food bill is between 250 and 260 - no matter what I do. We don't buy ready meals etc, it's meat, bread, fresh fruit and veg and I am not able to get my under this amount, even shopping with flyers.
oh thats for food, if we buy toiletries of course it goes up, but thats not weekly of course, thats like once a month. We dont buy ready meals either,cant stand processed crap. Costco for chicken and fish and washing powder etc....
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:02 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

It always makes me laugh when I read how much bashing NS gets on here from people that dont even live here. Those that do and are unhappy are entitled to think that.
We had this conversation last night with our Canadian friends who came here on a job relocation from Calgary. I asked why people have this "NS is asshole of Canada" view in the context of "Do I not have it because I just dont know any differnt, this is the only place I have lived" and he said "They have it because THEY dont know any different"

This is a nice place, yes its expensive and that irritates me in the same way as it irritates everyone else. But we now both have good jobs, we were careful not to become house poor and we had built a great financial cushion in the UK by the choices we had made. But we built that cushion by buying and selling property at the right time, not everyone has that option, certainly not anymore. I would never tell anyone not to try something that they really want to do in their own lives. Its their risk to take and own.

I like the ambience, the place, I like Halifax as a little city.

I believe that you can move anywhere if you really want to, but I do believe that people posting on here are adults who are capable of making a judgement call based on their own personal circumstances. I put honest figures to the costs that we face, to help enable that decision.

So in answer to those asking for brutal honesty - we chose this place for its location and its ambience. We chose it for the people and we are glad we did. Yes we have had ups and downs but we would have probably had those anywhere. There are many that move West and will be glad for it, but there are many that go West that then come home and say they couldnt wait to get back, they hated where they went to.

Everyone is entitled to enjoy living somewhere without having to justify it constantly to people that dont live here and dont live in your personal life.
I am not bashing NS or any particular place on
Canada - it's the suggestions that you can turn up and make a go of it with no financial cushion that pees me off.

And yes people can make their own decisions ... But then why are they constantly on here saying ooh I have 6.3 kids and will earn 7.75 an hour gross .. Will we be able to make ends meet?

People want to hear what real life is like.

I for one would never suggest a family with kids move without having a savings , to do so is irresponsible.

All it takes is an month longer without finance to sink your dreams ... Who was the lady in BC - hubby crane operator ... Moved back after 7 weeks due to lack of work and thus pay for hubby!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:14 am
Happy

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I am not bashing NS or any particular place on
Canada - it's the suggestions that you can turn up and make a go of it with no financial cushion that pees me off.

And yes people can make their own decisions ... But then why are they constantly on here saying ooh I have 6.3 kids and will earn 7.75 an hour gross .. Will we be able to make ends meet?

People want to hear what real life is like.

I for one would never suggest a family with kids move without having a savings , to do so is irresponsible.

All it takes is an month longer without finance to sink your dreams ... Who was the lady in BC - hubby crane operator ... Moved back after 7 weeks due to lack of work and thus pay for hubby!
I am absolutely NOT suggesting people behave irresponsibly. You dont need to get so upset. You have read your own context into my opinion, and this is absolutely the problem with a chat forum.
I am telling you what OUR real life is like. You clearly believe I am making it all up.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:18 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that is fair. All Howefamily said was that starting out with very little, of keeping a family on $50,000, is possible if the motivation is sufficiently strong. I don't think that is a controversial statement.

Even in supposedly uber-expensive Vancouver there are immigrants who manage to raise a family on $30,000 to $40,000 (sometimes even less) for a few years: a couple of minimum wage jobs and night school to get the appropriate Canadian qualifications. It might involve more compromises than many of us are prepared to make, but I don’t understand how saying that it can be done is “dangerous.”
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:33 am
half a century

I believe that you can come here with next to nothing and make it happen. I know of people that have done exactly that BUT they werent leaving just to leave the UK due to the "its gone to the dogs" viewpoint but rather because they
a) wanted to be here BIG TIME, the UK could be amazing and they still wanted to live here and/or

b) They had a job to come to. I do know of a family of 5 who bought a spacious home and survive on $50k a year income. They dont have the childcare costs though as one stays home. They are no rolling in it by any means but they enjoy life.

Theres a lot here thats free - beaches etc but money is necessary, obviously...
I am absolutely NOT suggesting people behave irresponsibly. You dont need to get so upset. You have read your own context into my opinion, and this is absolutely the problem with a chat forum.
I am telling you what OUR real life is like. You clearly believe I am making it all up.
Not upset - just referring to your first comment ... I feel that is an irresponsible without having some form of financial back up in case you dont land that prize job straight away.

That's all .
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:48 am
Happy

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Not upset - just referring to your first comment ... I feel that is an irresponsible without having some form of financial back up in case you dont land that prize job straight away.

That's all .
and I agree but each to their own, right. There are many that arrived with next to nothing and made it work... takes all kinds to make a world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.