Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost Of Living - Halifax

Cost Of Living - Halifax

Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:58 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost Of Living - Halifax

Originally Posted by Lisa and Steve
I guess it is.

Property tax is paid with mortgage $90 bi-weekly and house insurance is with Johnsons (extra discount for home & car policies along with life insurance policy and a fair whack of negotiations at renewal time!!).

Lisa

Good Lord! my property tax $220 semi monthly and when we move it's going up to $250 semi monthly................maybe we should have moved to NS rather than staying in
Ontario..................
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:56 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kancell
those figures are astronomical compared to what i had expect.

$120 a month for house insurance? for a bells and whistles policy on a similar house in the UK i currently pay £240 a year! also, approx £300 a month on oil and electricity, thats a huge amount compared to the £75 a month i pay here. phew, have to say i'm shocked, those bills alone come to £1700 a month never mind the rest! if salaries are lower, how on earth would you survive?!
me too and I live in Vancouver!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We pay $600 per year for home insurance (with the bells and whistles) and our electricity is approx $200 per month. We are all electric so have no oil costs. We have a wood fire in the lounge that we just used in the evenings over winter. We used about 1 1/2 cord of wood last winter
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:02 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

This might be useful to anyone considering a house purchase in NS.

In Nova Scotia they use a tax rate for each town or, if you don't live in town, a tax rate for your municipality to calculate property tax. Essentially property tax is far more in town than it is out. The tax rates can be found here.

This tax rate is multiplied by the house/land assessment (then divided by $100) to get the property tax amount.

So for example, if you live in the town of Canso, the tax rate is 2.350.
If your assessment is $150,000, the annual property tax will be 2.35*150000/100=$3525.

If you live out of town in the Guysborough area, the tax rate is 0.590. So, again, if the assessment is $150,000, the annual property tax will be 0.590*150000/100=$885.

There's also an additional tax rate of 0.10 for "Fire Levy" which is added on top.

Originally Posted by dollface
Good Lord! my property tax $220 semi monthly and when we move it's going up to $250 semi monthly................maybe we should have moved to NS rather than staying in
Ontario..................