Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living....which is cheaper UK or Canada?

Cost of living....which is cheaper UK or Canada?

Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living....which is cheaper UK or Canada?

Originally Posted by scotty7071
Ski,travel,mountains,
These things are likely cheaper if you live in the UK. It has to be the case that double the number of people in the UK live within 500 miles of a serious mountain than do in Canada.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Don't forget you will have to pay Canadian tax on your pension. I would not recommend coming to Canada unless you are going to work full time from day one. You will find it very hard, not impossible, but nothing like your military days in med hat. Things are very different without loa.Alberta is much more expensive than it used to be.
Still anything is possible by skill and by fighting.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:54 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

No one has really answered the question. Look into what i asked and what i have to come across.

It's a dream of mine to reside in Canada. Ski,travel,mountains, see,experience the good people and the opportunities for my kids in later life!!!

Can i do it?????
Yes
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:57 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

apart from the kids bit you can do whatever you like..you can make that happen..what your kids do and what opportunites they have in later life will be up to them.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

scotty7071 is an unknown quantity at this point

If i leave my pension in uk for 2 years and bring a lump sum how will that effect me?

I can get the UK tax office to waiver any tax so i only get taxed once. Buy the way, i am not on any LOA in UK and i am paying £1.40 a litre of fuel. Have you forgotten what it is like in UK. Gone are the days of £1 a litre, beer is £4 a pint. Average food shopping is £140 per week. Gas & electric is £80 per month, water is £400 per year, road tax is around £140-180 per year, TV license is £140 a year, council tax is £1300 per year and the average cost of a three bed semi in a nice area is £210'000. Phone is £30-80 per month and riots are happening all over UK. Crime is up, leadership is non-existent, the police do not know how to police (Government & society's fault).

What about Canada....i left Med Hat a year ago, did not see any riots, fuel was 90 cents a litre, everyone was happy, loads of sun, loads of snow, actually life was good!!!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's a dream of mine to reside in Canada. Ski,travel,mountains, see,experience the good people and the opportunities for my kids in later life!!!

Can i do it?????
How do you plan to 'reside in Canada' - presume you know that a study permit won't lead to PR? I'm sure you are aware of this, but don't want you thinking that you can spend tens of thousands on a 2 year course and be able to stay, because you can't do so automatically.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

With a two year study permit you can apply for two years work experience once you graduate, an extra two years with a garanteed job offer will help with PR espaecially if the work is in demand!

Check out the NOC, Social Work is in demand and there is a forecast demand for the next 3-5 years due to retirements and expansion.

Don't you think i research such a big decision?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

It is great to be knocked back down to earth but i would gratefully receive constructed criticism not negative comments especially when individuals throw unfounded comments.

Did you ever hear of success? It comes from those who are strong enough to survive and cannot look failure in the eye!!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:15 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

What about Canada....i left Med Hat a year ago, did not see any riots, fuel was 90 cents a litre, everyone was happy, loads of sun, loads of snow, actually life was good!!!
thats because they are too depressed to riot..and they are all happy cus they are all on valium for the depression...its called Medicine Hat for a reason
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

With a two year study permit you can apply for two years work experience once you graduate, an extra two years with a garanteed job offer will help with PR espaecially if the work is in demand!

Check out the NOC, Social Work is in demand and there is a forecast demand for the next 3-5 years due to retirements and expansion.

You'd be surprised at how many people don't seem to adequately research before moving.

Be wary of the talk of demograpic timebombs in any professions. Supposedly the same thing has been happening in teaching for the last 10 years. Jobs a re still (generally) hard to find. Social work may be different but also strikes me as one of those Canadian professions where a Masters degree is really neccessary to get into it. That's my SIL's experience in Ottawa but of course YMMV.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How do you get a guaranteed job offer, presumably that's part of your course? I'm well aware that you would get a 2 year post-graduate work permit, but that's also only temporary.

Again, I'm aware that Social Workers are currently on the list of eligible occupations for FSW, but that may well not be the case in 3 years time - the list changes regularly. Plus don't you need a masters to work as a Social Worker in Canada, or is that the course you're doing?

No need to be defensive! I was simply asking as I wasn't sure if you were aware of the limitations of the visa you will be on - it used to be that you could apply for PR after a year spent studying in Canada, so used to be much easier but that's no longer the case.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:39 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

If i leave my pension in uk for 2 years and bring a lump sum how will that effect me?
You won't be taxed on your lump sum provided it's already yours at the point you become a tax resident of Canada. You will be taxed in Canada on your UK pension whether you leave it in the UK or not. You can offset any UK tax paid against your Canadian tax bill when you complete your Canadian tax return.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

a foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada

This is a quote from the CIC website and below is a statement off the same website....

If you are a temporary foreign worker or a foreign student who graduated in Canada, you often have the qualities to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence. You are familiar with Canadian society and can contribute to the Canadian economy. You should have knowledge of English or French and qualifying work experience.

Applying to stay in Canada permanently in your case is simple. You can do this under the Canadian Experience Class.

A 2 year Diploma is the minimum requirement for work as a Social Worker in Alberta. Research is all i have done the past 4 months. I understand that it is not guaranteed but it is something i am extremely interested in. I am bringing my wife who will get an Open Work Permit for 2 years plus. She can also qualify under the Canadian Experience Class - NOC O,A,B
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Anythings possible.........!!!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:14 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

... i am paying £1.40 a litre of fuel. Have you forgotten what it is like in UK. Gone are the days of £1 a litre, beer is £4 a pint. Average food shopping is £140 per week. Gas & electric is £80 per month, water is £400 per year, road tax is around £140-180 per year, TV license is £140 a year, council tax is £1300 per year and the average cost of a three bed semi in a nice area is £210'000. Phone is £30-80 per month...
When I look at those prices and compare them to my costs here I don't conclude it's any cheaper to live in my part of BC - there are differences, but overall it's a wash.

Examples...

My electric bill is $200 p/mth
No water bill, on a well.
TV $150 p/mth
Internet $90 p/mth
Home phone $50 p/mth
Car insurance $1,100 p/yr
Property tax $3,000
Gas $1.30 p/litre
Average property price locally (3 bed family home) c$350k+
Beer $6 p/pint

I don't see any savings there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.