Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Canada?

Cost of living in Canada?

Old Jun 8th 2012, 3:04 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Canada?

Originally Posted by Boy d
my brother was just over from the north west. He say's it's very grim work wise....very low paying jobs (avearge under 20 k, closer to 15 k)....he is a store manager for asda and says no major retail stores are hiring anyone full time, only part time at min wage.

My friend in Manchester, a glaser, has had no real sniff of work in close to a year.

Grim.....
I'm talking Yorkshire. My family and friends are doing well and enjoying life
Old Jun 8th 2012, 3:12 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm talking Yorkshire. My family and friends are doing well and enjoying life
I doubt Yorkshire is much different...my brother lives t'other side of the peak district.

While i get what your point is, I was pointing out that work opportunites maybe better overseas for some.

Nice that your family/friends are doing well, but there are many that are struggling
Old Jun 8th 2012, 4:43 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
I doubt Yorkshire is much different...my brother lives t'other side of the peak district.

While i get what your point is, I was pointing out that work opportunites maybe better overseas for some.

Nice that your family/friends are doing well, but there are many that are struggling
Oh no doubt. The problem in this world is that some do well and others have a harder time. The UK and Canada are no different in that regard.

But in truth, i don't know anybody (from a rather large list) who are struggling with work at the moment, at all levels of employment. That includes my good friends who were recently let go at BAe and found work elsewhere in the country quite easily. Not saying that's the case for others though, but i don't them if they are.

Funnily, i know more people in Canada struggling for work than the UK. Granted that number is few but still greater.

Anyhoo, The cost of living in Canada versus the UK is variable, as is work, life, and weather. People should enjoy what they have, wherever they are, and make the most of life instead of spending time, money, and emotions chasing the ever elusive dream. Sometimes what you need is right in front of you and you just can't see it. Or maybe it's just down the road a bit.

Another beer please barkeep

PS, my brother in law was looking to employ a just over a thousand people recently and they had a hell of a time filling the gap. That was in London though.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 1:47 am
active again

amherstburgmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Bottom line, it's about the same. Some things cheaper (petrol), some things not (beer).
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

in yorkshire redundant three times back on stations for two month then hopefully my LMO will come through times are tough in Doncaster! but really well down south or scotland apparently, can only speak for construction industry tho
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:13 pm
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Hi Everyone, did a forum search for this and couldn't find any other threads so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere

I just wondered the average cost of general items such as milk, bread, etc and electric, gas, cable etc.

I had asked my sister who lives in Vancouver but she just said stuffs about x amount and didn't really provide much scope.

I would like to get an overview between any salary difference and cost of living to give me an idea of what money I would need to budget for when moving to Canada.

Thanks in advance for your time

Mike

When we moved over here in 2007 I found that my salary was same $ to pound ratio but the food was twice as much. The minimum wage is approx double to the UK one but certain professions seem to be lower paid here. Also not sure whereabouts you are moving but we are in Ottawa and as far as I'm concerned French is a must for getting work and security clearance. Income tax is higher here. There's federal tax and provincial tax. The rate maybe a bit lower but so is the salary band before paying the next level of tax. I also do not think there is an basic wage before paying tax here. So as soon as you earn you pay tax. Regarding cable, we had Rogers but we think they are rip off merchants. With the phones they hold people in to 3 year contracts so we only have our phones with them now until the contract is finished - then they are finished as far as we're concerned. Our tv we use internet tv (can get BBC and US netflix as well as Canada). Check out netglobaltv.com
Old Jun 28th 2012, 8:55 am
Just Joined

andrewsco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amherstburgmac
Bottom line, it's about the same. Some things cheaper (petrol), some things not (beer).
I'm glad about that. I'm coming from the middle east where it is almost as cheap as water!!! How much is it roughly per litre?

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:14 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replays everyone this has become a very interesting informative thread
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:40 am
active again

amherstburgmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrewsco
I'm glad about that. I'm coming from the middle east where it is almost as cheap as water!!! How much is it roughly per litre?

Thanks
ahhh, for you... not so good. CAD$1.24 per litre (was $1.40 recently) approx. Depending where you are.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

canuckypom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lgspoke
When we moved over here in 2007 I found that my salary was same $ to pound ratio but the food was twice as much. The minimum wage is approx double to the UK one but certain professions seem to be lower paid here. Also not sure whereabouts you are moving but we are in Ottawa and as far as I'm concerned French is a must for getting work and security clearance. Income tax is higher here. There's federal tax and provincial tax. The rate maybe a bit lower but so is the salary band before paying the next level of tax. I also do not think there is an basic wage before paying tax here. So as soon as you earn you pay tax. Regarding cable, we had Rogers but we think they are rip off merchants. With the phones they hold people in to 3 year contracts so we only have our phones with them now until the contract is finished - then they are finished as far as we're concerned. Our tv we use internet tv (can get BBC and US netflix as well as Canada). Check out netglobaltv.com
There is a band below which people in Canada don't pay income tax - I can't recall precisely but $8-9K rings a bell. I'd also say that some occupations definitely pay more in Canada, relatively speaking, than their equivalents in Britain - try most of the professions: nurses, teachers, engineers, the environment sector generally (conservation and related). I've worked in the latter and folks with Phds and a fair bit of experience are often making 30K ish or so in pounds, they could more than double that (taking the direct exchange rate) in Canada - ditto in Australia). A lot of professions are Canada are also unionised - though the Harper Govt I believe is doing his best to dismantle that and much else.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canuckypom
There is a band below which people in Canada don't pay income tax - I can't recall precisely but $8-9K rings a bell. I'd also say that some occupations definitely pay more in Canada, relatively speaking, than their equivalents in Britain - try most of the professions: nurses, teachers, engineers, the environment sector generally (conservation and related). I've worked in the latter and folks with Phds and a fair bit of experience are often making 30K ish or so in pounds, they could more than double that (taking the direct exchange rate) in Canada - ditto in Australia). A lot of professions are Canada are also unionised - though the Harper Govt I believe is doing his best to dismantle that and much else.
What Unions has Harper dismantled?