Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Canada?

Cost of living in Canada?

Old May 29th 2012, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

canuckypom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Canada?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
It was a life changing moment for me when I realised that one can bring in 20kg or $20 of cheese into Canada perfectly legitimately. My fridge has Red Leicester, a decent cheddar and a hunk o stilton all for less than $20. Why, bought in Canada that would require a small mortgage.
Hi, can you clarify this point - you can bring 20kg of cheese into Canada through customs OR $20 worth, which is it and bringing cheese is OK? Thanks!

I clearly need to go find other cheese discussions - since I'm a cheese maker and moving (back) to Canada after 10 years in Britain.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canuckypom
Hi, can you clarify this point - you can bring 20kg of cheese into Canada through customs OR $20 worth, which is it and bringing cheese is OK? Thanks!

I clearly need to go find other cheese discussions - since I'm a cheese maker and moving (back) to Canada after 10 years in Britain.
If you can find 20 kgms of cheese for $20 then good luck. The limit is $20 of dairy products. Amounts in excess then you get whacked with rather large duties.
All you ever wanted to know about import/export of cheese found here
http://www.international.gc.ca/contr...ang=eng&view=d

PS its a DFAIT thing and CFIA thing CBSA just enforces it (hassles travellers)
Old May 29th 2012, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Yes, that's my question - it can't be 20kg for $20 so it's one of the other..? I'll have a look at the site, thanks.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Bringing in $20 worth of cheese into Canada isn't really that much cheese.. so wondering how it could be a life changing moment... or is it just to even have a sample of such cheese..?
Old May 29th 2012, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

3. (1) Subject to subsection (2), any resident of Canada may, under the authority of this Permit, import into Canada for the personal use of the importer and the importer’s household dairy products not exceeding $20 in value for each importation.

(2) The $20 limit in value for each importation does not apply in respect of the dairy products set out in item 5 of the schedule.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/reg...sor-95-40.html

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/dai.../1300214161699
Old May 29th 2012, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Hello Mikeypm. My thoughts on cost of living. I have been here in Nova Scotia for just over a year. One thing you can't stop yourself doing is comparing prices with the UK. If the exchange rate was back up to $2.25, it's likely that people might be saying things are cheaper than the UK or at least on a par. My income is derived from the UK, so I can't help but make that comparison. Now, I am semi-retired and mortgage free, so that major expense is out of the way. I have very little money coming in but I try to make it work for myself. My house is only 20 years old, so it is well insulated and heating during the winter has not been as great as it could have been. Mind you, it's been a mild winter by contrast to other winters here by all accounts. Groceries I do find expensive. Some examples, assuming an exchange rate of $1.58: Milk $3.99 for 2 litres, so 2.54 pounds, bread $2.99, 1.88 pounds, chicken $19 a kilo, 12 pounds. Okay, you can get deals and flyers are my best friend, so for example, chicken can come down to $8.60 a kilo sometimes, so 5.58 pounds and cheaper than the UK. Milk is pretty standard throughout. When there is a special on something, I generally buy more to take advantage of the price. Alcohol is terribly expensive out here and you will never get the real specials you might get in the UK. The lowest price for a bottle of wine over here I have seen for say $10.99, so around 7 pounds. Petrol is cheaper, currently my little local garage sell for $1.27 a litre if paying by cash or debit, so around 80 pence a litre. I don't need my car for work, so it is really just used to go places or to get groceries. As for car insurance, you will find that more expensive over here. I simply have collision and I am paying $529 a year for a PT Cruiser. The Cruiser is a 2002 model and had 87,500 kms on the clock and I bought this for $4,830 including HST. Be aware, all prices are listed before sales tax. In NS it's 15%. I don't think I could do much better than that. Local taxes (like Council Tax) varies from area to area. If it's Vancouver you're going to, then it will cost more than I pay. My local taxes are around $1,100 a year, around 700 pounds. Compare that to my house in the UK which was nearly 1,900 pounds. I heat my house with wood, I bought six cords of wood for around $1150 last May and have about 3 cords left, so you could argue is cost me around 360 pounds to heat the house this last winter. Electric is a bit cheaper. On average, I am paying around $70 a month, so around 45 pounds. My internet is just over $35, 21 or so pounds. I have no cable tv or phone but have a pay as you go mobile which I use rarely. I generally use the internet to communcate, either via Skype, Magic Jack or Google Talk. You wanted perhaps some examples, so these are mine. They are bound to vary from province to province.

Last edited by laser558; May 29th 2012 at 11:21 am.
Old May 29th 2012, 2:06 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Bringing in $20 worth of cheese into Canada isn't really that much cheese.. so wondering how it could be a life changing moment... or is it just to even have a sample of such cheese..?
$20 of cheese purchased in Canada is a nigardly amount. A slab of Baldersons Cheddar perhaps. $20 in Waitrose or M&S is a couple of pounds of assorted cheesy delights including cheddar, stilton, red leicester etc. It is both the cost and variety of cheese available that makes it worthwhile IMHO.
Old May 29th 2012, 2:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Not that its a big deal but you can get English/Irish style back bacon at a couple of places
You can get it at Loblaw's/Superstore, PC Wiltshire-cut bacon. Although availability is a bit intermittent, I think because as soon as they put it on the shelf people buy it all up.

It's really good bacon I have to say.
Old May 29th 2012, 2:19 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

We have been here for 18 months now, and to be honest when I think about it, we have stopped comparing prices. I couldn't tell you how much a loaf of bread, milk, cheese, box of Weetabix or whatever would cost back in the UK.

I think this a good thing. You need to move on
Old May 29th 2012, 2:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I find my cost of living here to be slightly higher than it was in the UK, but then it has been a pretty long time since I lived in the UK so I would expect inflation.

Vancouver is a different situation though because of PST and other things.
Old May 29th 2012, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
You can get it at Loblaw's/Superstore, PC Wiltshire-cut bacon. Although availability is a bit intermittent, I think because as soon as they put it on the shelf people buy it all up.

It's really good bacon I have to say.
I'm pretty sure Getaway Farm which sell at the Halifax farmers market, and possibly a couple of others, also sell the bacon. We plan to produce our own.
Old May 29th 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
$20 of cheese purchased in Canada is a nigardly amount. A slab of Baldersons Cheddar perhaps. $20 in Waitrose or M&S is a couple of pounds of assorted cheesy delights including cheddar, stilton, red leicester etc. It is both the cost and variety of cheese available that makes it worthwhile IMHO.
Righto, I understand what you mean now.

If you're in St. John's (I'm from there) I think Belbins run a cheese club, bringing in some decent cheese to subscribers on a monthly basis. I'm moving from England (to NS) to make cheese
Old May 29th 2012, 2:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Righto, I understand what you mean now.

If you're in St. John's (I'm from there) I think Belbins run a cheese club, bringing in some decent cheese to subscribers on a monthly basis. I'm moving from England (to NS) to make cheese
In the general area yes. Aware of Belbins cheese club but fear to join as I'm sure the prices will be eye watering. I like decent cheese, but not to the extent of bankrupting myself to eat it. I'm fortunate enough to be a relatively regular traveller to UK so can bring in my $20 every few months for a bit of a treat. In the meantime there's always cracker barrel.
Old May 29th 2012, 5:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laser558
flyers are my best friend, so for example, chicken can come down to $8.60 a kilo sometimes..... You wanted perhaps some examples, so these are mine. They are bound to vary from province to province.
I should say so. Chickens are $1.99 lb/$4.39 kg at one of the stores here this week. That's quite a common price. Normal price listed as $3.08/$6.77
Old May 29th 2012, 7:35 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback and the cheese debate is interesting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.