Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Canada?

Cost of living in Canada?

Old May 28th 2012, 1:44 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Canada?

Originally Posted by Lvh76
but we would be paying a lot more to rent a family home this close to the square mile in London.
Yes, because you would be living in London. What would the comparison be with say, Stoke on Trent or Swindon?
Old May 28th 2012, 1:49 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
Lets cut too the chase then peeps, anywhere half decent to live with a $300,000 mortgage, car,kids etc you want to have a dual income of $65000
to be able to pay all the bills and have a social life!
For the sake of clarification - do you mean a household income of $65k is what you have to service your $300k mortgage, or does a "dual income" of $65k actually equal two people each earning $65k or $130k total? Not that I'm interested in your financial affairs but, when you say:

$90,000 deposit got me a 320,000 mortgage over 30 years at $1700 including property tax,I live in a great neighbourhood with good schools 10 mins drive from downtown Ottawa in a 4 bed house with a in ground pool and life is great on my income:cool ps not once did i ever say how much you could borrow on a $65,000 income
If you are servicing a $320k mortgage on $65k and managing to live a life outside of house poverty, then I'm skeptic. One can imagine that if interest rates go up, you will, not to put too finer point on it, be screwed.
Old May 28th 2012, 1:49 am
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 28th 2012, 1:54 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

How bizarre....

I agree with Xpat. My mortgage is slightly less than 300K now, and our combined income significantly higher than 65K. Nothing really left over each month.
Old May 28th 2012, 3:50 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I was a single person living in Drumheller (cheap houses rent etc) earning $32k a year. I had an old minimally insured suv, rented a 3 bed (not that I needed 3 beds but it was available and cheap) house, had internet but no tv, and after all the bills were paid (water / electric / gas / car ins / internet) all that was left per month for food and little luxuries like new clothes was $900. (I had to put gas in the car and all that fun stuff with this too ). Break that down and thats $30 a day which sounds like a lot but it's not really.

You can survive, but you wouldn't be going on any holidays / buying yourself ipods / ipads etc, and thats only because I would be spending all my time in Drumheller and not being frivolous with my gas money by going on road trips.

Last edited by mandymoochops; May 28th 2012 at 3:56 am.
Old May 28th 2012, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Jonesdruryclan is an unknown quantity at this point

Mikeypm we have looked at the website www.livingincanada.com. And I found the cost of living part was very helpful. It breaks down costs to loaf of bread etc and yes prices will vary in area or shops but it helps with a general idea. My brother has just moved and is shocked at the cost of cheese. Hope this helps
Old May 28th 2012, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Yes, because you would be living in London. What would the comparison be with say, Stoke on Trent or Swindon?
Yes I realist that. I was making a direct comparison for the OP. We moved here because we were sick of husband's commute to London from Newbury every day. We wouldn't be able to live within 30 mins commute to London but we can in Toronto. That was the comparison I was making.
Old May 28th 2012, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonesdruryclan
Mikeypm we have looked at the website www.livingincanada.com. And I found the cost of living part was very helpful. It breaks down costs to loaf of bread etc and yes prices will vary in area or shops but it helps with a general idea. My brother has just moved and is shocked at the cost of cheese. Hope this helps
Welcome to BE. The website you've linked to isn't working by the way.
Old May 28th 2012, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Sorry this is the link http://www.livingin-canada.com/cost-...in-canada.html
Old May 28th 2012, 1:08 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonesdruryclan
"Most people from the UK and Europe find the cost of living in Canada is significantly lower than their home country. "

Not the best opening line to help with credibility here Im afraid...

The site is just a front for one of the less well regarded immigration firms.

Last edited by iaink; May 28th 2012 at 1:10 pm.
Old May 28th 2012, 1:15 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah would also question their "cars are cheaper in Canada" and their statement on activities too

You wanna buy a second hand car and put your kid in soccer then you'll start having palpitaions if you're not prepared for the sticker shock.
Old May 28th 2012, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Well I thought it was useful and I must say my brother just got a second hand car there in Saskatoon and in comparison to Ireland it was a bargain. As a mom of three the cost of washing powder bread etc is interesting to know when you wonder if the wages will give you a quality of life and if they end up cheaper all the better. There are many factors that influence a choice to immigrate however for our family if we couldn't afford the staples then we wouldn't move so I found it interesting from a base point to work on and then ask the good people on here and family in Canada the reality thanks
Old May 28th 2012, 3:14 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

It costs us more to eat the same in Canada.

It also costs us more to use the car as much, and my car is cheaper in the UK

For us, holidays cost more in Canada (unless we stay "local").

Alcohol is definitely more expensive to drink the same for us in Canada,
Old May 28th 2012, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by el_richo
It costs us more to eat the same in Canada.

It also costs us more to use the car as much, and my car is cheaper in the UK

For us, holidays cost more in Canada (unless we stay "local").

Alcohol is definitely more expensive to drink the same for us in Canada,
Totally agree. Apart from property and gas are cheaper, everything is more expensive here (Halifax, NS) than London UK.
Old May 28th 2012, 6:11 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidsk
Totally agree. Apart from property and gas are cheaper, everything is more expensive here (Halifax, NS) than London UK.
Unfortunately i live in Vancouver where property is just as expensive as London

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.