British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Cost of living calculator BC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/cost-living-calculator-bc-907100/)

Verdant Dec 22nd 2017 1:18 pm

Cost of living calculator BC

In preparation for our move, I've been trying to work out a rough cost of living and i stumbled upon a cost of living calculator on the official WelcomeBC website: Welcome BC - Cost of Living Calculator I was wondering if anyone living in BC could see how accurate the assessment tool is - i.e. does it give a decent enough ballpark figure or is it wildly inaccurate and best ignored? :eek:

Howefamily Dec 22nd 2017 2:16 pm

Re: Cost of living calculator BC

This is pretty cool, I went to have a look just to see. I personally think its not bad at all.
People from that region will be better situated to give a real perspective on this than me though, as we are in NS.
Its interesting though that it suggests my salary to be less than what I earn here for Kelowna though :blink:

BristolUK Dec 22nd 2017 2:30 pm

I've had a play but it's a bit weird. If I change one person to two the rental on a 2 bed condo changes. Why?

Sometimes the living and personal is an exact match for the rent. :confused:

Does the living and personal include food? If it does, I suspect many people will say it under estimates the costs.

Come on BCers, you should be up by now. ;)

Aviator Dec 22nd 2017 3:39 pm

Tried to run it for our situation, it was way off and too few options.

beckiwoo Dec 22nd 2017 3:41 pm

I just tried it. I said I didn’t have a car because it hardly gets used right now.

It says I have $40 left after all my expenses if I say 20% of my wages go into savings and $430 left if I don’t put any savings away.

After all my expenses - rent, transit, car insurance, gym membership. I’m usually left with $800 a month.

It’s not accurate

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 22nd 2017 5:14 pm

Doesn't seem to ask enough questions to be accurate, says we have -400/month but we break even each month for the most part, housing costs they are using are too low and not realistic for Vancouver.

They bring back savings of 150 per month where we put 0 into savings.

Verdant Dec 22nd 2017 5:38 pm

Knowing governmental stuff, I'm sure the data is well out of date, which is probably one of the reasons why it seems to underestimate everything from rent to earnings.:D That being said, it does at least illustrate whether it's going to be a battle or not to live on your wage in BC.

If anyone can allay my fears:Basically will150k be ok for 2 people living on the island (not Victoria)?

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 22nd 2017 10:35 pm

You would in my opinion be fine on the Island on that income.

Originally Posted by ecokid (Post 12404162)
Knowing governmental stuff, I'm sure the data is well out of date, which is probably one of the reasons why it seems to underestimate everything from rent to earnings.:D That being said, it does at least illustrate whether it's going to be a battle or not to live on your wage in BC.

If anyone can allay my fears:Basically will150k be ok for 2 people living on the island (not Victoria)?