Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living

Cost of Living

Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living

Originally Posted by dbd33
To get to and from the showgrounds (or to and from Florida if you're serious about competing).
So petrol essentially? OK, we pay that, just wondered if there was some mysterious fee you had to pay for taking a trailer somewhere in Canada!
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:19 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Can't be. No mention of an F150.

I know

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Holy moly, how many were you feeding, an entire football team?!?

Um no..... not sure what you are referring to here but whatevs

I think we've chatted about this before. Our livery is half what you used to pay (used to be only £60 a month, now we've got a sensitive soul that needs a bloody stable, sigh).
I have no idea how your fee is only that. My English pals right now are paying way more than that but they all on properties with stables and arenas and show jumps. Maybe you dont have that?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I meant your food bill was crazy high, guessing you have a big family though? There's only 4 of us (plus pets) so luckily I don't need to spend £150 a week on food.

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I have no idea how your fee is only that. My English pals right now are paying way more than that but they all on properties with stables and arenas and show jumps. Maybe you dont have that?
Indoor arena, outdoor arena (both have jumps), another outdoor school without jumps for flatwork, small x country area and he's stabled. Daily turnout etc except Sundays when we have a rota system with the other liveries, so have to do it about once every 3 months. It's not £60 now though, that's what we used to pay for just grass livery, but we had a Welsh mountain pony so she was hardy, the new one needs a bit of mollycoddling bless him! It's £200 for stabled.

I think it's just different areas though, we lived in Bucks before and couldn't afford for our daughter to do horse riding as it was £25 for a group lesson there......moved to Berkshire and it was £10 for a private one!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 23rd 2018 at 1:48 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So petrol essentially? OK, we pay that, just wondered if there was some mysterious fee you had to pay for taking a trailer somewhere in Canada!
Before we had our own trailer, we would have to pay $60 a horse to travel 10 minutes down the road. It has little to do with the amount of petrol but how much one has to pay another for the use of space in their trailer. They will be going to the same show. If they are not, they are unlikely to want to take you.

There are professional trailer operators that perform the sort of tasks referred to by Dbd33. My friend has a large trailer (6 horses IIRC) and the costs required need to cover her food and accommodation for such a trip. If one has the money to cover that, one can usually afford a large truck and a trailer that has sleeping for the riders too.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:48 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I meant your food bill was crazy high, guessing you have a big family though? There's only 4 of us (plus pets) so luckily I don't need to spend £150 a week on food.

Indoor arena, outdoor arena (both have jumps), small x country area and he's stabled. Daily turnout etc except Sundays when we have a rota system, so have to do it about once every 3 months. It's not £60 now though, that's what we used to pay for just grass livery, but we had a Welsh mountain pony so she was hardy, the new one needs a bit of mollycoddling bless him!

I think it's just different areas though, we lived in Bucks before and couldn't afford for our daughter to do horse riding as it was £25 for a group lesson there......moved to Berkshire and it was £10 for a private one!

Nope, we are a family of 4 but we did have little kids and for a while that included nappies etc. We also often had a lot of people round for dinner and cooked Tapas on a regular basis and of course had wine (from Tescos, ah the good old days of affordable wine in the grocery store), so maybe that was it, dont know.

Ah so GBP 60 was grass livery, night and day difference to a big show centre with all the bells and whistles which is where I was as I competed right there, often. And I had a warmblood who was stabled with turnout.

Last edited by Howefamily; Jan 23rd 2018 at 1:49 pm. Reason: cant do this clearly
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Nope, we are a family of 4 but we did have little kids and for a while that included nappies etc. We also often had a lot of people round for dinner and cooked Tapas on a regular basis and of course had wine (from Tescos, ah the good old days of affordable wine in the grocery store), so maybe that was it, dont know.
Maybe the days before Aldi/Lidl?!? We get our alcohol in the weekly shop, plus pet food, plus all cleaning products and we do a lot of entertaining/cooking, still don't spend more than approx £100 a week. No nappies though anymore thankfully.

Ah so GBP 60 was grass livery, night and day difference to a big show centre with all the bells and whistles which is where I was as I competed right there, often. And I had a warmblood who was stabled with turnout.
Yes, it was grass livery, I did mention that in my previous post! We're still paying half what you used to pay for stabled with turnout though now so as I said it must just be due to different areas.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:52 pm
Happy

Indoor arena, outdoor arena (both have jumps), another outdoor school without jumps for flatwork, small x country area and he's stabled. Daily turnout etc except Sundays when we have a rota system with the other liveries, so have to do it about once every 3 months. It's not £60 now though, that's what we used to pay for just grass livery, but we had a Welsh mountain pony so she was hardy, the new one needs a bit of mollycoddling bless him! It's £200 for stabled.

So how much is that setup? Just so we are comparing similar arrangements. Here in NS, I have the same as you have now, except he comes in and out as he wishes into his own paddock, unless theres a storm.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:53 pm
Happy

Maybe the days before Aldi/Lidl?!? We get our alcohol in the weekly shop, plus pet food, plus all cleaning products and we do a lot of entertaining/cooking, still don't spend more than approx £100 a week. No nappies though anymore thankfully.

Yes, it was grass livery, I did mention that in my previous post! We're still paying half what you used to pay for stabled with turnout though now so as I said it must just be due to different areas.
Yes, mine was in the London corridor, maybe thats why.
I cant bear Aldi or Lidl, we went to Tescos or Waitrose.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So how much is that setup? Just so we are comparing similar arrangements. Here in NS, I have the same as you have now, except he comes in and out as he wishes into his own paddock, unless theres a storm.
As above - £200 pcm.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:56 pm
Happy

As above - £200 pcm.
Yes, that is less. I shudder to think what the place I was at charges now, I dont think they have it on their website...
Does yours include feed, hay, bedding too?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, that is less. I shudder to think what the place I was at charges now, I dont think they have it on their website...
Does yours include feed, hay, bedding too?
Not feed, but yes to hay and bedding. Surrey prices eh?!
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, I'm assuming you don't own the trailer but share one with other riders going to the show.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:02 pm
Happy

Not feed, but yes to hay and bedding. Surrey prices eh?!
Yes Surrey...
If we had to move back I would not go back there at all.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Before we had our own trailer, we would have to pay $60 a horse to travel 10 minutes down the road. It has little to do with the amount of petrol but how much one has to pay another for the use of space in their trailer. They will be going to the same show. If they are not, they are unlikely to want to take you.

There are professional trailer operators that perform the sort of tasks referred to by Dbd33. My friend has a large trailer (6 horses IIRC) and the costs required need to cover her food and accommodation for such a trip. If one has the money to cover that, one can usually afford a large truck and a trailer that has sleeping for the riders too.
The going rate for horse shipping over distance seems to be a buck a click, less if the trailer is already going and you get the "fill rate".
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh no, I'm assuming you don't own the trailer but share one with other riders going to the show.
No, we do own one. Just a trailer though, not a lorry! We're at shows or training most weekends and sometimes during the week though, so really couldn't afford to hire one or use a service.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.