Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Groceries!

Cost of Groceries!

Old May 3rd 2011, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cost of Groceries!

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Has anyone else noticed there grocery bill going through the roof recently. I live alone and had a budget of $200 A month for food, ive spent $300 so far! i went grocery shopping yesterday and was astonished at how everything has gone up. even in No Frills. for instance tinned tomatoes used to be 88cents now there $1.14 thats a 26 cent increase!

and spring onions, used to be 3 for 99cents now you only get 2.

this is getting ridiculous!
Yep prices seem to have risen considerably. We use Costco both in Canada and US. The US presents a good opportunity to save if you live near the border. Prices have gone up there too, but there's still a proportionate saving to be had. Someone mentioned that Canadian food standards are stricter than US. While I believed this, I found that many of the US products I purchase are free of mass farming interference which the Canadian counter-parts are not.

You can also do well checking for specials and stocking up, especially tinned items as you mentioned this. I would avoid stores that limit quantities. Really get tired of stores offering reasonable discounts but limiting you to buying a single item or 2. Also some stores offer discounts if you buy mutliple items or special pricing provided you don't buy more than a particular quantity. They use the same labelling which I think is misleading for people who don't carefully check the deal.
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Groceries!

What is it with this forum and cheese?!