Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Groceries!

Cost of Groceries!

Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Groceries!

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh, ffs, if you don't buy Hagen-Dazs even the cat won't eat it.

There comes a point where buying the cheaper brand involves sacrificing the very point of purchasing the product.
Ah ha, so that's why so many of you "more money than sense types" don't like to save money.

You mistakenly believe the savings are on cheap "supermarket" type brands.

It may not be Häagen-Dazs, but they're not el cheapo brands either. They are simply big reductions on the normal prices. But if you're not interested, that's up to you.

As for cheese, do you really need the best cheese for making a sauce, Lasagna or a toastie? Not all cheese has to be consumed with the finest wine.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
As for cheese, do you really need the best cheese for making a sauce, Lasagna or a toastie? Not all cheese has to be consumed with the finest wine.
Certainly making cheese-toast demands the best available cheese. I prefer the seven year white cheddar from the Olympic stand in the St. Lawrence market but, in a pinch, will use locally obtained cheddar. There's usually enough of the seven year kicking around to populate the next lasagne though, if there's the need to buy cheese for that specific purpose, I'll just go to Loblaws. Traditionally I'd feed any remaining bits of the supermarket cheese to the dog though lately Loblaws' Extra Old Cheddar has tended to give him the shits. Whether this is due to a shift in the cheese ingredients or a change in the dog's metabolism I can't say.

I fear that you mistake me for a food snob. It's not the case. Why just last evening I ordered a round of Rhubarbtinis without even thinking to check the organic certification, if any, of the rhubarb constituent.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

....snip... I prefer the seven year white cheddar....snip .
I don't understand why excellent mature English cheddar is only aged for 18-24 months and yet Canadian cheddar has to sit around for 7 years. Does your cheese knowledge cover this point?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I don't understand why excellent mature English cheddar is only aged for 18-24 months and yet Canadian cheddar has to sit around for 7 years. Does your cheese knowledge cover this point?
I dont think excellent canadian chedar does have to sit around for 7 years... "extra old" here is something like two years. Old is 15-18 months.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. My cheese knowledge is based on picking up random chunks of the stuff at the market and struggling to remember the names of the ones that were really good or really bad. How the cheese gets to the market is a mystery to me though I believe it relates to cows or sheep or goats or udder animals.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont think excellent canadian chedar does have to sit around for 7 years... "extra old" here is something like two years. Old is 15-18 months.
Nah, they sell 4 year old and more in the local store that's still not the crumbly cheddar effect. It's OK but not salty, sharp, bring the ridges on the roof of your mouth stuff. One day when I'm at the cheese factory I'll ask them.

Nope. My cheese knowledge is based on picking up random chunks of the stuff at the market and struggling to remember the names of the ones that were really good or really bad. How the cheese gets to the market is a mystery to me though I believe it relates to cows or sheep or goats or udder animals.
Udder,,
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, they sell 4 year old and more in the local store that's still not the crumbly cheddar effect. It's OK but not salty, sharp, bring the ridges on the roof of your mouth stuff. One day when I'm at the cheese factory I'll ask them.
I guess its driven by what the customers want. I dont really like the really tangy crumbly stuff myself. I have found it locally though, I think it was a 2 year old Maple Dale or something like that. It won an award IIRC.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

I guess its driven by what the customers want. I dont really like the really tangy crumbly stuff myself. I have found it locally though, I think it was a 2 year old Maple Dale or something like that. It won an award IIRC.
Ah, I'll look out for that. Balderson's 5 year old is good and crumbly.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Ah, I'll look out for that. Balderson's 5 year old is good and crumbly.
Will you be off to Picton then?
http://cheeseloverca.wordpress.com/t...eese-festival/

Upon reflection it might have been a 5 year old MapleDale cheddar. dbd probably doesnt shop at NoFrills, so may have missed the opportunity to try it

Last edited by iaink; Apr 15th 2011 at 5:11 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

Will you be off to Picton then?
http://cheeseloverca.wordpress.com/t...eese-festival/

Upon reflection it might have been a 5 year old MapleDale cheddar. dbd probably doesnt shop at NoFrills, so has probably missed the opportunity to try it
Ah sadly no, work calls that weekend. There is good cheese shop in Picton though, thanks for the reminder.

Meanwhile back to food prices....
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:10 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Has anyone else noticed there grocery bill going through the roof recently. I live alone and had a budget of $200 A month for food, ive spent $300 so far! i went grocery shopping yesterday and was astonished at how everything has gone up. even in No Frills. for instance tinned tomatoes used to be 88cents now there $1.14 thats a 26 cent increase!

and spring onions, used to be 3 for 99cents now you only get 2.

this is getting ridiculous!
I used to shop at Waitrose... now, Lidl

Finest Cheese at the mo... Cornish Cruncher from Marks. Absolute mouldy heaven
Old May 2nd 2011, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
I am in Perth Australia, getting ready to come to Canada. Cost of bananas here is currently $6.36/pound ... and no, I am not kidding. I have started to force pears onto the kids
Not going to tell them why the cost is currently so high?
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I was back home for the 1st 3 weeks of April and must admit that it was nice to go and buy the cheese that I like instead of looking at whats on offer - I refuse to buy the rubber rubbish that passes for cheddar here. Not because Im a snob but just dont see the point as I dont tend to cook with cheese.

I used to love going to the farmers markets around Hampshire, Dorset and Wiltshire on a sunday morning and buying the local varieties

You can buy mature Canadian cheddar in tesco for about half the price you can here
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I got 500g of 6 year old maple dale for $6 the other day. Good cheese, good price.

Maybe i am lucky to be in the Ontario dairy belt, but within a short drive I can take in the Maple Dale, Empire and Black River cheese factories (and the Black Diamond plant too, but the least said about that the better!)
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cyan
Technically it is cheaper based on unit/price ratio (because almost everything is packaged bigger in bulk sizes - you cannot buy small food items) - but you might end up fatter since you will probably eat it if it's under your roof. Your choice.
It's ok they do weight loss drugs in bulk too, to make up for it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.