Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Groceries!

Cost of Groceries!

Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Groceries!

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Walmart is about the last place I get food.

They have a $3 cheese/garlic pizza that goes nicely with a salad but that's about it.

Here, their milk is the most expensive around. When they do have something that looks a good price, it usually sells out quickly.

Maybe it'll change when they start selling fresh stuff, but at the moment it's not a good place for food in Moncton.
The Wal-Mart around my house is more then Super Store on most items, and when it comes to produce their prices are crazy.

Oranges last week at Wal-Mart .97/pound.

The local independent market, same oranges .57/pound

Bannanas at Wal-Mart .67/pound, Superstore was .57/pound, local market was .47/pound.

Whole chicken at Wal-Mart and Super Store 9-15

Local market 5-7.

Wal-Mart likes to advertise their low prices, but many times they are actually more then local markets and Super Store.

Wal-Mart does have lower prices on soda and junk food however.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:59 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Wal-Mart does have lower prices on soda and junk food however.
I think you'll find that in Walmart is targetting it's key customer demographic in that respect. www.peopleofwalmart.com

BTW, $0.57/lb for Bananas? Sheesh, $0.97/lb here in Loblaws. $0.67/lb at Irving gas stations. (Bizzare that. Perhaps the JD Irving empire extends to Banana plantations?)
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:29 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Our local Walmart has just turned into one of the big ones with groceries, as with all supermarkets you have to know your prices, they may have a sign up saying rollback only $2, then when you think about it Sobeys has it on special for 87c or sommink stupid. They do however sell pretty good bread for 99c and their bananas the other week - when they first opened were only 37c per pound, Sobeys (their nearest competition) were 97c. It will be interesting to see how prices locally are affected, there are already more deals to be had in stores.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea of the price of bananas. Bananas are often cited on this thread. Are bananas a major part of the diet of the typical expat?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:52 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have no idea of the price of bananas. Bananas are often cited on this thread. Are bananas a major part of the diet of the typical expat?
It's the only fruit my OH tends to eat. I'm not usually so cost conscious when looking for stuff (yes I will go for the cheaper brand but if I need it I will buy it) and I just noticed how cheap the Walmart bananas were, so when I was picking some bread up in sobeys a couple of days later I looked at the price in there.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

For anyone who cares to read up on the global impact of the rising cost of food: www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11177214 & www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13086979

Certainly interesting to read in there about increasing demand helping to spike prices, i.e. world's population is increasing. This figure has nearly doubled in my lifetime alone. More people to feed, more demand, higher prices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population

IMO the ever increasing world population is one of the biggest dangers this planet faces, but very little is being done to counter it and that will continue to be the case as long as continual economic growth is how we measure success. Anyway my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

I eat a banana every day
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgroe
I eat a banana every day
Have you video?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Have you video?
Zing.

I have, but I'm unlikely to post it.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings from FlyerLand.

Between Sobeys and Superstore (Loblaws) you can buy 2l Ice cream for $ instead of $6, save a $ on a bag of spuds, Smoked ham @ $1.39 instead of $3.17, 500g Cheese @$4.44 instead of $8.59, Prime Rib @ $4.99 a lb instead of $9.69, Strawberries @ $1.67 a lb instead of $3, Apple Pie for $3.49 instead of $6.99, Haddock for $3.99 a lb instead of $5.99, Pack of bagels for $1.59 instead of $3.19, Frozen veg for $2 instead of $3.

That takes care of most of your meals for four for a week for about $36 instead of about $54.

I just saved your family $18

Oh...buy some cereal and pop for half its usual cost too.

There. That should more than offset the price increases.

I missed out the Pork joint for half price. Throw in the eggs for $2 instead of $3 and you can make some omelettes too.

Last edited by BristolUK; Apr 15th 2011 at 1:09 am.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Have you video?
PM sent.

Just kidding.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Greetings from FlyerLand.

Between Sobeys and Superstore (Loblaws) you can buy 2l Ice cream for $ instead of $6
Oh, ffs, if you don't buy Hagen-Dazs even the cat won't eat it.

There comes a point where buying the cheaper brand involves sacrificing the very point of purchasing the product. Cheese, for example, is $8/lb at the market, it's good cheese. If you don't want cheese don't buy it. Don't pretend though that Loblaws (and I think that's the best of the Canadian supermarkets) can sell you actual cheese.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

As for cheese if you need shredded cheese, and have a Shoppers with a grocery section, check their sales, every couple weeks they put their cheese on for 3.99. The stores around here sell out quick, but its when I stock up on cheese.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

I am in Perth Australia, getting ready to come to Canada. Cost of bananas here is currently $6.36/pound ... and no, I am not kidding. I have started to force pears onto the kids
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
I am in Perth Australia, getting ready to come to Canada. Cost of bananas here is currently $6.36/pound ... and no, I am not kidding. I have started to force pears onto the kids
F***in Ell! $6.36 a pound! thats crazy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.